A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

broadband slowdown



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 6th 05, 07:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Johnnie Scott
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default broadband slowdown

At certain parts of the day my broadband is getting very slow. Would this
be the fault of the broadband supplier (NTL) or the local BT exchange
Thanks




  #2  
Old March 6th 05, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
huLLy
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 13
Default broadband slowdown

Johnnie Scott wrote:
At certain parts of the day my broadband is getting very slow. Would
this be the fault of the broadband supplier (NTL) or the local BT
exchange Thanks


It's nobodies fault. You're probably on a 50:1 contention. If 50 people are
using the same pipe, you might actually see speeds lower than a dial up
modem.

Let's hope that the ISP's add more bandwidth quicker than people sign up to
the service...
--
huLLy
VOIP SIP Phone Number 4823176 on Global Village
Or +44 8703 408916 to my VOIP line
email (Loon reports welcome)
with the IP of 212.21.118.235 in the header


  #3  
Old March 6th 05, 07:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default broadband slowdown

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:14:27 -0000, "huLLy" wrote:

Johnnie Scott wrote:
At certain parts of the day my broadband is getting very slow. Would
this be the fault of the broadband supplier (NTL) or the local BT
exchange Thanks


It's nobodies fault. You're probably on a 50:1 contention. If 50 people are
using the same pipe, you might actually see speeds lower than a dial up
modem.


That is not a correct understanding of how ADSL contention works I'm
afraid.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Replace the fish with my first name to reply
  #4  
Old March 6th 05, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default broadband slowdown

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 19:11:44 GMT, "Johnnie Scott"
wrote:

At certain parts of the day my broadband is getting very slow. Would this
be the fault of the broadband supplier (NTL) or the local BT exchange


There could be a range of causes, including:

- you could have a fault on your phone line
- you could be filling the upstream side of your line, thus causing
the downstream side to bog down
- you could have contention taking effect at your exchange
- you could have contention taking effect on the "fat pipe" connecting
ntl to BT's network
- you could have contention taking effect on ntl's connection to the
Internet
- somewhere between ntl and the sites you are accessing could be slow

It is not always easy to tell which of these possibilities is causing
slowness.

If the speed is unacceptable have you tried contacting ntl ?

When the connection is slow have you tried using a selection of online
speed tests ? (two you could try are http://sod.ms/fast/ and
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp )

Have you tried the BT speed test ? This will tell you whether the
connection slow-down is somewhere within BT's network or further
afield. Details here http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/27
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Replace the fish with my first name to reply
  #5  
Old March 6th 05, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 237
Default broadband slowdown


"Andrew Norman" wrote in message
...
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:14:27 -0000, "huLLy" wrote:

Johnnie Scott wrote:
At certain parts of the day my broadband is getting very slow. Would
this be the fault of the broadband supplier (NTL) or the local BT
exchange Thanks


It's nobodies fault. You're probably on a 50:1 contention. If 50 people
are
using the same pipe, you might actually see speeds lower than a dial up
modem.


That is not a correct understanding of how ADSL contention works I'm
afraid.


Would you care to explain what is the correct understanding of how
contention works? :-)


  #6  
Old March 6th 05, 08:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default broadband slowdown

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:30:07 -0000, "Beck"
wrote:


"Andrew Norman" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:14:27 -0000, "huLLy" wrote:

Johnnie Scott wrote:
At certain parts of the day my broadband is getting very slow. Would
this be the fault of the broadband supplier (NTL) or the local BT
exchange Thanks

It's nobodies fault. You're probably on a 50:1 contention. If 50 people
are
using the same pipe, you might actually see speeds lower than a dial up
modem.


That is not a correct understanding of how ADSL contention works I'm
afraid.


Would you care to explain what is the correct understanding of how
contention works? :-)


Not really, been there, done that, all too often...

I was about to post a series of links describing how contention works.
Disturbingly though most of the links returned at the top of a Google
"ADSL contention" search fall into the same trap. They say "you share
you bandwidth with 49 other people", which just isn't true.

I guess lots of people just don't understand the concept of ratios

A more correct description can be found he

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/aa/infopack/contention.html
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Replace the fish with my first name to reply
  #7  
Old March 6th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,069
Default broadband slowdown

Andrew Norman wrote:
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 20:30:07 -0000, "Beck"
wrote:


"Andrew Norman" wrote in message
...
On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 19:14:27 -0000, "huLLy" wrote:

Johnnie Scott wrote:
At certain parts of the day my broadband is getting very slow.
Would this be the fault of the broadband supplier (NTL) or the
local BT exchange Thanks

It's nobodies fault. You're probably on a 50:1 contention. If 50
people are
using the same pipe, you might actually see speeds lower than a
dial up modem.

That is not a correct understanding of how ADSL contention works I'm
afraid.


Would you care to explain what is the correct understanding of how
contention works? :-)


Not really, been there, done that, all too often...

I was about to post a series of links describing how contention works.
Disturbingly though most of the links returned at the top of a Google
"ADSL contention" search fall into the same trap. They say "you share
you bandwidth with 49 other people", which just isn't true.

I guess lots of people just don't understand the concept of ratios

A more correct description can be found he

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/aa/infopack/contention.html


Funny that it does state that if the 'pipe' is full then it will cause slow
downs (due to latency/lag & dropped packets) but never mind.....


  #8  
Old March 6th 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Goo Goo
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default broadband slowdown

"Andrew Norman" wrote in message
...
That is not a correct understanding of how ADSL contention works I'm
afraid.


Well he's not on ADSL, he's on cable, which is how it works.

See?


  #9  
Old March 6th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default broadband slowdown

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:09:04 -0000, "kraftee" [email protected]&
die.com wrote:

Andrew Norman wrote:

I was about to post a series of links describing how contention works.
Disturbingly though most of the links returned at the top of a Google
"ADSL contention" search fall into the same trap. They say "you share
you bandwidth with 49 other people", which just isn't true.

I guess lots of people just don't understand the concept of ratios

A more correct description can be found he

http://www.aaisp.net.uk/aa/infopack/contention.html


Funny that it does state that if the 'pipe' is full then it will cause slow
downs (due to latency/lag & dropped packets) but never mind.....


I don't understand the point you are making.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Replace the fish with my first name to reply
  #10  
Old March 6th 05, 09:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 96
Default broadband slowdown

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 21:10:27 GMT, "Goo Goo" wrote:

"Andrew Norman" wrote in message
.. .
That is not a correct understanding of how ADSL contention works I'm
afraid.


Well he's not on ADSL, he's on cable, which is how it works.


Er, no I don't think he is on cable, unless the contents of his post
are incorrect.

He says:

"At certain parts of the day my broadband is getting very slow. Would
this be the fault of the broadband supplier (NTL) or the local BT
exchange"

From this we know that:

a) his ISP is ntl
b) he thinks he is connected to ntl via the local BT exchange

You are probably thinking "ntl only provide broadband via cable", but
I'm afraid you are wrong. If you go to http://www.ntlfreedom.com/ you
will find that ntl do indeed provide a broadband service that uses the
BT wholesale ADSL product.

So either the original poster was wrong in his understanding that he
is connected via BT, in which case he has cable OR he was right and he
has ADSL with ntl as an ISP.

And yes, contention on cable does occur in a different way to ADSL.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Replace the fish with my first name to reply
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does Having a Wireless Connection Slowdown my PC? A uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 March 6th 05 05:13 PM
Connection speed slowdown 10% due to Norton Anti Virus Ronald Jones uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 6 February 23rd 05 08:42 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:16 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.