Sometimes can't connect

Old March 6th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Oliver Walter

Default Sometimes can't connect

Hello, can you suggest a solution to this problem?
Short description: Frequently, when I try to connect to ADSL,
something can't make contact and the connection fails. It's not
clear what makes the connection work again, when it finally does
work.
Longer description: I'm using W98SE, an Ethernet card from 3COM, a
router (DSL502T from D-Link, bought about a month ago) and ADSL that
went live about 2 weeks ago. I think the router makes the connection
to the ADSL provider every time it is powered up, as the relevant
LED blinks for a few seconds and then glows steadily. The other LED,
that shows the presence of the Ethernet connection, is also lit all
the time.
The symptom is, for example, that when I start the browser (IE6) and
try to connect to
http://192.168.1.1/
the router is supposed to recognise the IP address, intercept it and
reply with its own "home page". That is, of course, how I set the
router up in the first place to log on to the ISP for me when it
powers up. When it does respond to that IP address, things are OK.
Sometimes, when (as far as I can tell) I'm doing exactly the same
thing (in fact clicking on a hyperlink in my own local homepage, so
I know it is the correct address without my having to retype it each
time) it simply appears to give no response, and after a number of
seconds the browser reports that the page cannot be reached.
Clicking on "refresh" doesn't do any good either.
Sometimes the problem goes away when I exit the browser and try
again - sometimes it's still there.
Until earlier this evening, I've had ZoneAlarm active (even though
the router's firewall is also active), mainly so I can see the
"traffic meter" in the ZA icon, which tells me when data is moving
to or from my PC. I quit ZA and tried again - the problem was still
there.

It looks to me as though either, the request isn't getting beyond
the Ethernet card, or it is getting beyond the card and the router
isn't responding. Can somebody suggest what might be causing this,
or how I can narrow down the place that's causing the problem.

(This posting is being sent by Outlook Express though the same
router, proving that it works sometimes!)
--
Oliver
("Reply-To:" address will send non-spam to me

Old March 7th 05, 06:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Discali

Try http://192.168.0.1/ instead!