ADSL modem question

Old March 7th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

Default ADSL modem question

If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have an
ethernet port? - I ask because an earlier thread suggested you might only get a
USB connection, and I prefer not to use USB on my daughter's Win98SE machine P2
166Mhz. - I am intending to use a wireless router anyway but I suspect routers
don't routinely have USB ports.

JPG
Old March 7th 05, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Steve Pearce

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:04:01 +0000, JPG wrote:

If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have an
ethernet port? - I ask because an earlier thread suggested you might only get a
USB connection, and I prefer not to use USB on my daughter's Win98SE machine P2
166Mhz.

Almost certainly just a USB port.
Old March 7th 05, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

JPG wrote:
If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have an
ethernet port? - I ask because an earlier thread suggested you might only get a
USB connection, and I prefer not to use USB on my daughter's Win98SE machine P2
166Mhz. - I am intending to use a wireless router anyway but I suspect routers
don't routinely have USB ports.

What modem you get and what facilities it offers is up to the individual
ISP. They are likely to change the model and specification as time goes by.

So you could ask them or buy a router.

Old March 7th 05, 02:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have an
ethernet port?

Typically no.

I am intending to use a wireless router anyway but I suspect routers
don't routinely have USB ports.

You shouldn`t need one if you`re connecting wirelessly - get a wireless
network card :-}

Old March 7th 05, 02:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:03:39 +0000, Steve Pearce *
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:04:01 +0000, JPG wrote:

If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have an
ethernet port? - I ask because an earlier thread suggested you might only get a
USB connection, and I prefer not to use USB on my daughter's Win98SE machine P2
166Mhz.

Almost certainly just a USB port.

How can I plug that into a wireless router if it doesn't have a USB port? Can
you get USB - RJ45 converters?

JPG

Old March 7th 05, 02:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:06:33 -0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have an
ethernet port?

Typically no.

I am intending to use a wireless router anyway but I suspect routers
don't routinely have USB ports.

You shouldn`t need one if you`re connecting wirelessly - get a wireless
network card :-}

But how do I connect from modem to router if the modem only has USB output?

I have wireless network capability in the PC and also a WinXP latop.

JPG

Old March 7th 05, 03:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Clansman

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:36:20 +0000, JPG wrote:

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 14:06:33 -0000, Colin Wilson wrote:

If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have an
ethernet port?

Typically no.

I am intending to use a wireless router anyway but I suspect routers
don't routinely have USB ports.

You shouldn`t need one if you`re connecting wirelessly - get a wireless
network card :-}

But how do I connect from modem to router if the modem only has USB output?

I have wireless network capability in the PC and also a WinXP latop.

JPG

From your message it's not clear if you already have a wireless router. If you
haven't then it'd best for you to purchase your own combined ADSL
modem/wireless router and then your lan could just interface with the
modem/router wirelessly

If you already have a wireless router (and you want to keep it) then what you
basically need to do is get yourself an ADSL modem that has an ethernet port.
Most ISPs supply ADSL modems with a USB port, as it's easier for the end user
to configure. Most people who want a lan setup usually just ignore the ISP
supplied modem and get their own preferred make/model.

You can't, as far as i know, get a `reverse' USB - ethernet adapter, i.e. one
that plugs into the USB port of the modem, to convert the modems USB port to
ethernet.

Clansman

..

Old March 7th 05, 03:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , JPG says...
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:04:01 +0000, JPG wrote:

If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have an
ethernet port? - I ask because an earlier thread suggested you might only get a
USB connection, and I prefer not to use USB on my daughter's Win98SE machine P2
166Mhz.

Almost certainly just a USB port.

How can I plug that into a wireless router if it doesn't have a USB port? Can
you get USB - RJ45 converters?

Short answer, you can't. Better to buy a cheap 4 port ADSL Modem router
for around 40.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old March 7th 05, 03:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Donaldson

On 07/03/05, 14:24:07, JPG wrote regarding ADSL modem
question:

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:03:39 +0000, Steve Pearce

*
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 13:04:01 +0000, JPG wrote:

If an ISP supplies an ADSL modem as part of the package, will it have

an
ethernet port? - I ask because an earlier thread suggested you might

only get a
USB connection, and I prefer not to use USB on my daughter's Win98SE

machine P2
166Mhz.

Almost certainly just a USB port.

How can I plug that into a wireless router if it doesn't have a USB port?

Can
you get USB - RJ45 converters?

JPG

Most ADSL routers including wireless routers have a built in modem, so
you just put the supplied usb modem in a drawer some where as a backup.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old March 7th 05, 03:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
silangdon

But how do I connect from modem to router if the modem only has USB output?

USB modems are controlled by a PC. They need a PC for power and to
supply connection settings.

Ethernet type modem / routers can store their own configuration
settings and connect independently of what your pcs are doing.

If you want your laptop to connect to BB and don't want to have to
switch on your desktop machine just to do it then buy a adsl modem /
router combo.