is 98SE the minimum spec for broadband?

Old March 7th 05, 02:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

Default is 98SE the minimum spec for broadband?

"Alex, Boosbeck." wrote in message
news
Thanks for all your replies. Dad's always been of the opinion
that if it works don't fix it, but I guess it no longer works!
I'll probs just take the cheapest option, upgrade his OS and use
a USB modem.

Does it have to be USB? You could use ethernet based modem if you have a
spare pci slot.

Old March 7th 05, 06:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Beck wrote:

"Alex, Boosbeck." wrote in message
news
Thanks for all your replies. Dad's always been of the opinion
that if it works don't fix it, but I guess it no longer works!
I'll probs just take the cheapest option, upgrade his OS and use
a USB modem.

Does it have to be USB? You could use ethernet based modem if you
have a spare pci slot.

Many PCI modems I have looked at claim to need 98SE too - although I suspect
that they *may* work with plain 98.

The route(!) I would take would be to get a cheap ADSL router plus a network
card for the PC (if it doesn't already have one). The router has its own
modem and doesn't *care* what OS the PC is using as long as it can talk
TCP/IP to the router. W98 is fine! This is also a *lot* more secure since
the PC will then be behind a NAT firewall.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old March 8th 05, 10:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

Tiscali Tim wrote:
Beck wrote:

"Alex, Boosbeck." wrote in message
news
Thanks for all your replies. Dad's always been of the opinion
that if it works don't fix it, but I guess it no longer works!
I'll probs just take the cheapest option, upgrade his OS and use
a USB modem.

Does it have to be USB? You could use ethernet based modem if you
have a spare pci slot.

If you really need to get usb working on an old PC then a cheap PCI usb
card is an option and will overcome problems with motherboards that are
buggy for usb or can't supply enough power.

Many PCI modems I have looked at claim to need 98SE too - although I suspect
that they *may* work with plain 98.

I think there is a difference between 98 and 98se which means that
drivers for SE are more like 2000 and XP drivers. Which means drivers
for newer kit tend not to get written for 98 - my mobo (nforce2) will
work with 98 but the sound and network bits won't - I expect just
because it was not worth the hassle of nvidia doing seperate drivers
just for 98.

Andy.
Old March 8th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 10:13:23 +0000, Andy Furniss
wrote:

If you really need to get usb working on an old PC then a cheap PCI usb
card is an option and will overcome problems with motherboards that are
buggy for usb or can't supply enough power.

If its a /really/ old PC it may not have PCI. I still have a mch with
ISA slots running somewhere.

Many PCI modems I have looked at claim to need 98SE too - although I suspect
that they *may* work with plain 98.

I think there is a difference between 98 and 98se which means that
drivers for SE are more like 2000 and XP drivers.

98 didn't have USB support. That was added with SE.

Old March 8th 05, 03:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Furniss

wrote:

If you really need to get usb working on an old PC then a cheap PCI usb
card is an option and will overcome problems with motherboards that are
buggy for usb or can't supply enough power.

If its a /really/ old PC it may not have PCI. I still have a mch with
ISA slots running somewhere.

Many PCI modems I have looked at claim to need 98SE too - although I suspect
that they *may* work with plain 98.

I think there is a difference between 98 and 98se which means that
drivers for SE are more like 2000 and XP drivers.

98 didn't have USB support. That was added with SE.

Hmm well USB still works OK on my old win 98 PC - maybe it's just the
drivers of the mobo or mouse + scanner + camera etc sorting it?

Or it may have been in a service pack pre SE?

It also worked OK for mouse when I put it on my new PC - didn't test
much else, it was the mobo's builtin sound and net drivers that needed SE.

Andy.
Old March 8th 05, 09:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Mark McIntyre wrote:

98 didn't have USB support. That was added with SE.

Not true! Are you sure you're not thinking of W95 - where the first version
didn't support USB but the SE version did?

Admittedly, the *level* of USB support has increased with each successive
Windows version - so some devices may use functions not supported in earlier
versions - but that's not the same as saying 98 had NO support.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old March 9th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
robert w hall

In article , Tiscali Tim
writes
Mark McIntyre wrote:
Admittedly, the *level* of USB support has increased with each successive
Windows version - so some devices may use functions not supported in earlier
versions - but that's not the same as saying 98 had NO support.

well I've still got a couple of 486's seeing happy service on the net -
but they _are_ running dillo under linux :-)

Owd bob (another penny-tight pension drawer)
--
robert w hall