New Router

Old March 7th 05, 08:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Snuggles

Default New Router

I've just bought a Zoom X4 router/modem to replace a Speedtouch 330 modem.
I've got it set up and it's working fine. I've never had a router before,
and am used to having to "dial up" in order to connect, so having a truly
always on connection seeems great.

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the day,
and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is it more
normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I get
the impression that most people leave these things on.

TIA

Old March 7th 05, 08:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Stephen Stewart

"Snuggles" wrote in message
I've just bought a Zoom X4 router/modem to replace a Speedtouch 330 modem.
I've got it set up and it's working fine. I've never had a router before,
and am used to having to "dial up" in order to connect, so having a truly
always on connection seeems great.

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the
day, and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is it
more normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but
I get the impression that most people leave these things on.

TIA

I have a SpeedTouch 510 and leave it on permanently.

Saves any messing about when you turn your PC on.

Stephen

Old March 7th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Snuggles wrote:
I've just bought a Zoom X4 router/modem to replace a Speedtouch 330 modem.
I've got it set up and it's working fine. I've never had a router before,
and am used to having to "dial up" in order to connect, so having a truly
always on connection seeems great.

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the day,
and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is it more
normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I get
the impression that most people leave these things on.

I leave my router on 24/7 too. However I'm on an uncapped ADSL service.
I asked a question in this group a week ago about 'data chatter' with
the PC off, some of the answers were interesting.

See:-
http://tinyurl.com/5ey9e

--
Mark
Old March 7th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the day,
and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is it more
normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I get
the impression that most people leave these things on.

I don`t think i`ve powered mine down since it went in about 22 months
ago.

Old March 7th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Snuggles" wrote in message
I've just bought a Zoom X4 router/modem to replace a Speedtouch 330
modem. I've got it set up and it's working fine. I've never had a router
before, and am used to having to "dial up" in order to connect, so
having a truly always on connection seeems great.

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the
day, and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is it
more normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb question,
but I get the impression that most people leave these things on.

Why switch it off..? Saves time when you need to use the system. Switch
your PC off if you really want to (although with a decent firewall it
really isn't necessary) but leave the router on.

Another reason is if you ever want to use VoIP with someone like Sipgate
(www.sipgate.co.uk) you can plug an adaptor for a phone into your router
and use it even if the PC is off, but the router obviously has to be on..!

Ivor

Old March 7th 05, 08:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Mark Carver" wrote in message
Snuggles wrote:
I've just bought a Zoom X4 router/modem to replace a Speedtouch 330
modem. I've got it set up and it's working fine. I've never had a
router before, and am used to having to "dial up" in order to connect,
so having a truly always on connection seeems great.

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the
day, and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is
it more normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb
question, but I get the impression that most people leave these things
on.

I leave my router on 24/7 too. However I'm on an uncapped ADSL service.
I asked a question in this group a week ago about 'data chatter' with
the PC off, some of the answers were interesting.

Even with the lowest cap around you'd have to have a seriously duff router
for it to get anywhere near your cap with the PC off ;-)

Ivor

Old March 7th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

Snuggles wrote:

[...]

One respondent in the thread I wrote claims 30MB per day, that's almost
a 1GB per month. AIUI it's got nothing to do with the quality of your
router, more how much of a target the IP range of your ISP is ?

--
Mark
Old March 7th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Snuggles

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Snuggles" wrote in message
I've just bought a Zoom X4 router/modem to replace a Speedtouch 330
modem. I've got it set up and it's working fine. I've never had a router
before, and am used to having to "dial up" in order to connect, so having
a truly always on connection seeems great.

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the
day, and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is it
more normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb question,
but I get the impression that most people leave these things on.

Why switch it off..? Saves time when you need to use the system. Switch
your PC off if you really want to (although with a decent firewall it
really isn't necessary) but leave the router on.

I suppose it's just habit. I have tried leaving my pc running, but it makes
me feel uneasy - like I've left the gas on or something!

Another reason is if you ever want to use VoIP with someone like Sipgate
(www.sipgate.co.uk) you can plug an adaptor for a phone into your router
and use it even if the PC is off, but the router obviously has to be on..!

Ivor

Thanks for the info!

Old March 7th 05, 09:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Snuggles

Snuggles wrote:
I've just bought a Zoom X4 router/modem to replace a Speedtouch 330
modem. I've got it set up and it's working fine. I've never had a router
before, and am used to having to "dial up" in order to connect, so having
a truly always on connection seeems great.

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the
day, and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is it
more normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb question,
but I get the impression that most people leave these things on.

I leave my router on 24/7 too. However I'm on an uncapped ADSL service.
I asked a question in this group a week ago about 'data chatter' with the
PC off, some of the answers were interesting.

See:-
http://tinyurl.com/5ey9e

Thanks for that, it's something I hadn't even thought of. I'm on a capped
service so will have to take it into account.

Old March 7th 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PeeGee

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:48:17 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Snuggles" wrote in message
I've just bought a Zoom X4 router/modem to replace a Speedtouch 330
modem. I've got it set up and it's working fine. I've never had a router
before, and am used to having to "dial up" in order to connect, so
having a truly always on connection seeems great.

I'm just wondering though, I always switch my pc off at the end of the
day, and intend to switch the modem/router off too. Is this ok, or is it
more normal to leave it switched on? Sorry if this is a dumb question,
but I get the impression that most people leave these things on.

Why switch it off..? Saves time when you need to use the system

Not sure about that. I have the PC and modem/router on the same power
strip with the PC set to "power on after power fail". Turn the strip
on and both router and PC start, with the router being ready well
before the PC (win98se/asus A7N-266VM/amd xp2400+/256MB).
. Switch
your PC off if you really want to (although with a decent firewall it
really isn't necessary) but leave the router on.

Another reason is if you ever want to use VoIP with someone like Sipgate
(www.sipgate.co.uk) you can plug an adaptor for a phone into your router
and use it even if the PC is off, but the router obviously has to be on..!

Ivor

PeeGee
--
The reply address is a spam trap. If you need to reply directly, put the UK where it should be - first.