I was excited about NTL 2mb upgrade until...

Old March 7th 05, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JF

Default I was excited about NTL 2mb upgrade until...

I found out that they were going to be stricter about enforcing their 1gb
per day download limit.

I know that you can subscribe to AOL through NTL Cable. I was thinking if I
take their 1mb package at 25 per month (same as NTL), what newsgroups
(binaries) do aol offer. Is it a wide selection?? I was thinking of adding a
premium news-server on top ( I reckon it might be worth it) as AOL have
unlimited downloads.

I am a heavy usenet user and AFAIK I am unable to buy additional download
limits from NTL.

What do others think of this idea (apart from AOL being the joke of the
internet)

Thanks
John

Old March 7th 05, 10:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ron S

JF blurted on Mon, 07 Mar 2005 22:45:43 GMT:

I found out that they were going to be stricter about enforcing their 1gb
per day download limit.

I know that you can subscribe to AOL through NTL Cable. I was thinking if I
take their 1mb package at 25 per month (same as NTL), what newsgroups
(binaries) do aol offer. Is it a wide selection?? I was thinking of adding a
premium news-server on top ( I reckon it might be worth it) as AOL have
unlimited downloads.

I am a heavy usenet user and AFAIK I am unable to buy additional download
limits from NTL.

What do others think of this idea (apart from AOL being the joke of the
internet)

Thanks
John

AOL don't do any usenet any more, they dumped it...you would have to sub
another news server...

--
Always and never are two words you should always remember never to use.
*Wendell Johnson*
Old March 7th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JF

"Ron S" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I had a feeling tha AOL wouldn't carry any good groups and was toying with
the idea of a premium service anyway.

Thanks
John

Old March 7th 05, 11:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"JF" wrote in message

I had a feeling tha AOL wouldn't carry any good groups and was toying with
the idea of a premium service anyway.

news.individual.net is pretty good and will cost 10 euros from April which
is about 7 per annum.

Old March 7th 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon

Beck wrote:
|| "JF" wrote in message
||| I had a feeling tha AOL wouldn't carry any good groups and was
||| toying with the idea of a premium service anyway.
|| news.individual.net is pretty good and will cost 10 euros from April
|| which is about 7 per annum.

Doesn't do binaries........

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Old March 8th 05, 03:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"JF" wrote in message

"Ron S" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

They carried some very good groups before they desubscribed from Usenet.
Contrary to popular belief adult content was never censored by AOL.The only
drawback was the voice of Joanna Lumley repeatedly announcing to the
neighbours that "Your file has been downloaded" at 3.00am in the morning.
Getting a third party newsserver to work with AOL is not as easy as you
might think unless it is web-based like SuperNews. You first have to
configure Outlook Express to work with AOL's IMAP servers.

(kim)

Old March 8th 05, 04:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"JF" wrote in message
I found out that they were going to be stricter about enforcing their 1gb
per day download limit.

I know that you can subscribe to AOL through NTL Cable. I was thinking if
take their 1mb package at 25 per month (same as NTL), what newsgroups
(binaries) do aol offer. Is it a wide selection?? I was thinking of adding
premium news-server on top ( I reckon it might be worth it) as AOL have
unlimited downloads.

I am a heavy usenet user and AFAIK I am unable to buy additional download
limits from NTL.

What do others think of this idea (apart from AOL being the joke of the
internet)

Before you can subscribe to any outside service you will need to desubscribe
from NTL and if other threads in this newsgroup are anything to go buy that
is far from straightforward.

(kim)

Old March 8th 05, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JF

"kim" wrote in message
"JF" wrote in message

"Ron S" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

I'm not looking for adult content...honest :0