Best modem/router/firewall (oh no, not again!)

Old March 8th 05, 07:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Geddes

Default Best modem/router/firewall (oh no, not again!)

Nigel M wrote:
I've getting BB soon and I'm looking for a ADSL modem/router/firewall
(not necessarily wireless):

You didn't mention VOIP in your spec. If your kids are approaching
secondary age, do think of VOIP for them now or in the future. Chatting
from their bedrooms over VOIP can be cheaper than mobiles (especially if
friends are also on VOIP) and reduces the amount of RF dosing to the
young brain.

I've recently installed a Draytek 2900VG - offers Bandwidth limiting,
but also handles VOIP very well. I couldn't buy a non-wifi version of
the 2900V, but it is simple to switch off the wifi.

Early experience is good. I was amazed to find that as well as the two
built-in VOIP ports, I could connect to Sipgate from a Sipura SPA-2000
behind the 2900VG (making four VOIP ports available) without having to
do any DMZ or port forwarding work. Whether that is because the 2900 is
clever, the SPA-2000 is clever or Sipgate is clever, I don't know.

The 2900 range is router-without-modem; the 2600 range (which includes
modem) appears to be very similar - and the 2600V (VOIP but without
wifi) is widely available.

John Geddes

Old March 8th 05, 01:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Geddes

Nigel M wrote:
In uk.telecom.broadband, John Geddes wrote:
I was amazed to find that as well as the two built-in VOIP ports

Presumably a phone has to be plugged directly into these?

The VOIP ports are RJ11 sockets on the router - supplied with short
RJ11-Master Socket adapter cables.
Old March 8th 05, 02:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Nigel M" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, John Geddes wrote:

I was amazed to find that as well as the two built-in VOIP ports

Presumably a phone has to be plugged directly into these?

That's usually the best way ;-)

Ivor

Old March 10th 05, 01:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Nigel M" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, Nigel M wrote:

I was amazed to find that as well as the two built-in VOIP ports

Presumably a phone has to be plugged directly into these?

What I meant was, does it have enough voltage to wire up an extension?

The REN of most ATA's is around 3 (a normal phone line is usually 4).

I've just had a thought, can you plug a cordless telephone base station
into the VOIP port?

If you can plug it into an ordinary phone socket you can plug it into a
VoIP adaptor. Although depending on the codec used, fax might not work
properly.

Here's an idea for manufacturers: VOIP with built-in DECT base station!

You can get WiFi handsets but they're not cheap.

Ivor