limited/restricted broadband - always have to disconnec when not in use?

Old March 8th 05, 11:39 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lee

Default limited/restricted broadband - always have to disconnec when not in use?

Hi

just contemplating a move to a faster connection that has limited
usage (2gb or 5gb a month) with pipex. at the moment i leave my pc
connected to the internet permanently, is it likely going to be using
up my allowance up when i'm not even sat there browsing? other than
programs doing automatic updates, is it likely that my usage allowance
will be eaten up by having it connected permanently, or will i need to
disconnect after i've used the connection and reconnect when i want to
use it again...which would be a hassle.

thanks, lee
Old March 8th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Lee
says...
Hi

just contemplating a move to a faster connection that has limited
usage (2gb or 5gb a month) with pipex. at the moment i leave my pc
connected to the internet permanently, is it likely going to be using
up my allowance up when i'm not even sat there browsing? other than
programs doing automatic updates, is it likely that my usage allowance
will be eaten up by having it connected permanently, or will i need to
disconnect after i've used the connection and reconnect when i want to
use it again...which would be a hassle.

Probably the odd 1Mb over a month but nothing to worry about unless
you've got spyware.

--
Conor

-- George Patton
Old March 8th 05, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"Lee" wrote in message
om...
Hi

just contemplating a move to a faster connection that has limited
usage (2gb or 5gb a month) with pipex. at the moment i leave my pc
connected to the internet permanently, is it likely going to be using
up my allowance up when i'm not even sat there browsing? other than
programs doing automatic updates, is it likely that my usage allowance
will be eaten up by having it connected permanently, or will i need to
disconnect after i've used the connection and reconnect when i want to
use it again...which would be a hassle.

Depending on what virus's are out in the wild at the time, it could use up
anything between 1mb - 100mb per month while not in use. Mine uses about
1mb every 2-3 days. Its not a huge amount in the scheme of things.

Old March 8th 05, 08:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

Probably the odd 1Mb over a month but nothing to worry about unless you've
got spyware.

Well that depends on what OS he uses !!!

Dave

again
in the future!!