location to exchange helps?

Old March 8th 05, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
desert

Default location to exchange helps?

hi all,
i have btbroadband,and today they upgraded my line to 2mb.
the modem connection icon reports the speed as 2.2mb.
download speeds are great etc.the local exchange is 100 yards
or so from my home,would this explained the 2.2mb?

just curios

Old March 8th 05, 11:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"desert" wrote in message
i have btbroadband,and today they upgraded my line to 2mb.
the modem connection icon reports the speed as 2.2mb.
download speeds are great etc.the local exchange is 100 yards
or so from my home,would this explained the 2.2mb?

No - all BT Wholesale 2MB lines sync at 2.2MB - its to do with overheads...

Regards
Sunil

Old March 8th 05, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Tue, 08 Mar 2005 23:15:24 +0000, desert
wrote:

hi all,
i have btbroadband,and today they upgraded my line to 2mb.
the modem connection icon reports the speed as 2.2mb.
download speeds are great etc.the local exchange is 100 yards
or so from my home,would this explained the 2.2mb?

just curios

No.

The IP traffic leaving your computer is encapsulated in another
protocol, ATM, on the ADSL side of your modem. The extra bandwidth
that you see reported is required to give a full 2Mbps throughput of
IP traffic plus the ATM overhead.

Jake