Homecall

Old March 8th 05, 08:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kyoku1968

Default Homecall

Colin Wilson Wrote:
Sometimes the only way I can recconnect is to restart my p.c.

This was common on USB modems with VIA chipsets on the motherboar
(and
i`ve also seen it with a SiS chipset)

Are you doing anything particular (like heavy gaming) when it happen
?

--
Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies vi
email

Hi Colin,
No I do not play games sometimes I am not even using the p.
other times just general surfing. I must admit although I am no exper
but I was thinking there may be a link with the usb modem. Was there
fix for this problem? I am considering a router to allow wire les
connection for a pda but am not decided yet but hopefully the etherne
connection would resolve the problem.But as I say i'm not definatel
going to do it so is it likely that if I don't I will have to suffe
the poor connection

--
kyoku1968
Old March 9th 05, 09:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Wilson

No I do not play games sometimes I am not even using the p.c
other times just general surfing. I must admit although I am no expert

(same here, just muddling through, not always correct, but I try :-} )

but I was thinking there may be a link with the usb modem. Was there a
fix for this problem? I am considering a router to allow wire less
connection for a pda but am not decided yet but hopefully the ethernet
connection would resolve the problem.But as I say i'm not definately
going to do it so is it likely that if I don't I will have to suffer
the poor connection/

I suppose it might depend on the line you have coming in - perhaps the
distance from the exchange and line noise etc (you don`t always have to
be a long way from the exchange to have noise problems).

If its the line causing the problem, a router may or may not help
depending on how good it is at locking on to the signal (in a similar way
to why some mobile phones have a better reception than others despite
being at the same location / on the same network)

Sometimes a powered USB hub can help resolve power related problems, but
it all probably depends on whether there`s a problem with your line.

Does it happen randomly, or is there a pattern to the disconnections -
could it be some form of power saving shutting down the ports ?

What spec is your PC (I doubt this is the problem, but you never know !)

Old March 9th 05, 10:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

(you don`t always have to
be a long way from the exchange to have noise problems).

Certainly not! The inside of a telephone exchange is amongst the most noisy
of environments. It's full of thousands of circuits and switches all of
which radiate noise like the clappers on to your unfortunate adjacent
circuit and equipment.

However, the internal noise, as it comes along the line to your computer, is
attenuated with the wanted signal and so the signal-to-noise ratio tends to
remain at the same level as it started.

Whereas, the noise picked up by your particular line, running very adjacent
to all the other lines in the cable, accumulates according to line length.
It increases with time as the number of lines in the cable become more and
more occupied with Internet traffic.

So expect noise problems to increase with time until everybody has a
computer and copper wires are replaced with silent optical fibres and
optical equipment. National capital expenditure will be enormous.

The main beneficiaries will be scrap copper and lead merchants.
----
Reg.