How to speed up Bittorrent...

Old March 9th 05, 07:00 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
kim

Default How to speed up Bittorrent...

....using the default Bittorrent client version 3.4.2 and no fancy software.

From the Start button -- Control Panel -- Tools -- Folder Options --
File Types-- TORR... TORRENT File -- Advanced -- Edit.

Now edit the line in the box "Application used to perform action" to read
"C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\btdownloadgui.exe" --max_upload_rate
20 --responsefile "%1" exactly as I have typed it with quotation marks and
spaces then click OK. It is not nearly as difficult as it looks here as most
of the line has already been typed for you.

The number I have entered [20] is the max upload rate as measured in KB/s
and is the optimum for a typical ADSL connection of 288/576 Kb/s. This gives
me a peak download rate of 57KB/s from a popular file but can be much less
from a more obscure one. For a faster or slower connection you would adjust
the figure in proportion to your maximum upload rate: half, double or
quadruple. Future versions of Bittorrent will do this automatically for you.

Obviously if your btdownloadgui.exe is stored somewhere other than in the
default C:\Program Files\BitTorrent drectory you will have to amend the file
address accordingly. You will also need to restart your PC for the new
setting to take effect and again if you switch to a faster or slower
connection at any time in the future.

This information is provided in good faith and free of charge so the author
will not be held responsible for any mishaps due to incorrect actions by the
reader.

(kim)

Old March 9th 05, 08:30 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Andy Burns

kim wrote:

How to speed up Bittorrent...
...using the default Bittorrent client version 3.4.2 and no fancy software.

From the Start button -- Control Panel -- Tools -- Folder Options --
File Types-- TORR... TORRENT File -- Advanced -- Edit.

Now edit the line in the box "Application used to perform action" to read
"C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\btdownloadgui.exe" --max_upload_rate
20 --responsefile "%1" exactly as I have typed it with quotation marks and
spaces then click OK. It is not nearly as difficult as it looks here as most
of the line has already been typed for you.

It's even easier to just download v4.0 from http://www.bittorrent.com/
it has a slider on the GUI to set your upload speed ;-)

Old March 9th 05, 08:41 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
kim wrote:

How to speed up Bittorrent...
...using the default Bittorrent client version 3.4.2 and no fancy
software.

From the Start button -- Control Panel -- Tools -- Folder Options --
File Types-- TORR... TORRENT File -- Advanced -- Edit.

Now edit the line in the box "Application used to perform action" to read
"C:\Program Files\BitTorrent\btdownloadgui.exe" --max_upload_rate
20 --responsefile "%1" exactly as I have typed it with quotation marks
and spaces then click OK. It is not nearly as difficult as it looks here
as most of the line has already been typed for you.

It's even easier to just download v4.0 from http://www.bittorrent.com/
it has a slider on the GUI to set your upload speed ;-)

****ing typical! I checked yesterday and they stil had only the Beta test
version with which I've had problems. In fact every client I've used except
3.4.2 has locked up within an hour some after only a few minutes. I found
you don't actually need the slider on the new version as it automatically
defaults to the optimum upload rate which in my case is 20KB/s.

(kim)

Old March 9th 05, 09:11 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hayward

"kim" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
kim wrote:

How to speed up Bittorrent...
...using the default Bittorrent client version 3.4.2 and no fancy
software.

From the Start button -- Control Panel -- Tools -- Folder

Options --
[...]

I have set netlimiter to upload a max of 20, does this achieve the same
result? (getting 100K + from elitetorrents)

Peter

Old March 9th 05, 09:39 AM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Peter Hayward" wrote in message

"kim" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
kim wrote:

How to speed up Bittorrent...
...using the default Bittorrent client version 3.4.2 and no fancy
software.

From the Start button -- Control Panel -- Tools -- Folder

Options --
[...]

Yes, I've done it. You'll find the actual rate touches 21 at times with
either method.

(kim)

Old March 9th 05, 03:10 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Hop-Frog

[FollowUp-To set to alt.bittorrent]

"kim" wrote in :
In fact every client I've
used except 3.4.2 has locked up within an hour some after only a few
minutes.

This behavior sounds like you're overwhelming the system with too many
open connections, or too many open files. In the first case, there are
too many connections to peers and seeds for the computer to keep track
of, and the network just freezes up. If the crash requires you to reboot
the broadband modem and/or router as well as the computer, this is
probably what's happening.

If the crash happens when you're downloading batch torrents with
thousands of files (e.g., jpgs), then it's possible you're hitting the
OS's maximum files open for input/output. If the computer crashes, but
not the modem/router, then this is the more likely culprit.

Azureus has configuration settings that allow you to limit both numbers
to manageable levels, though it takes a bit of experimentation to find
out exactly what's manageable. I believe that BitComet and BitTornado
have similar configurability.

I found you don't actually need the slider on the new version
as it automatically defaults to the optimum upload rate which in my
case is 20KB/s.

The optimum speed, conventional wisdom has it, is 80% of your maximum
upstream bandwidth.

--
I am simply Hop-Frog, the jester--and this is my last jest.

(Please note: to reduce spam, I periodically modify this address. If an
email to me bounces, increment the number in my address by one.)
Old March 9th 05, 09:52 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"Peter Hayward" wrote in news:397sujF5s35j2U1
@individual.net:

I have set netlimiter to upload a max of 20, does this achieve the same
result? (getting 100K + from elitetorrents)

This does not achieve the same effect.
The result you want is this:

Bandwidth used bandwidth available

If you have 256kb up you should be fine limiting to 25KB/s as this will
leave a few KB/s for other TCP overhead data. If you want to use your
connection for other things though, 20KB/s is more sensible.

If you do not rate limit within the application and use an external app
like netlimiter what you achieve is different.

Instead of making the bandwidth used less than the bandwidth available,
you are simply reducing the bandwidth available to the application and
not leaving any space for the application overheads.

I will go into an example I have noticed using Azureus 2.2.0.2

If I set the in app limit to 20up 45down, it will run okay, but with
several torrents running the rest of the connection slows down. It would
appear to me that in Azureus (and ABC shows this behaviour), the limit
applies only to data not overheads.

So I have:

In Azureus limits: 20up 45down.
Netlimiter limits: 22up 47down.

This 2K difference gives space for the BT overhead data, but makes sure
it doesn't interfere with other apps on the network. If I just use
netlimiter, speeds varey erratically but using both works well.
--
Colin
Old March 9th 05, 10:46 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"cw" wrote in message
[...]

I'm getting 57down from 20up using either NetLimiter or BT 3.4.2 so how is
22up any improvement?

(kim)

Old March 10th 05, 06:31 PM posted to alt.bittorrent,alt.video.divx,uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
cw

"kim" wrote in :

I'm getting 57down from 20up using either NetLimiter or BT 3.4.2 so
how is 22up any improvement?

I did attempt to explain that in my post, the case may be different with
the BT 3.4.2 client though. With Azureus and ABC, the torrent overhead data
does not appear to be included in the limits. Therefore I use Netlimiter. I
give Netlimiter an extra few k so that the control data has that few k and
doesn't have to fight with the actual data in order to get bandwidth.

--
Colin