ADSL over CAT-5e?

Old March 9th 05, 01:06 PM posted to comp.dcom.cabling,uk.telecom.broadband
Petri Krohn

Default ADSL over CAT-5e?

"John Carlyle-Clarke" kirjoitti viestissä
. 1.69...

I'm in the UK and I have an ADSL-enabled BT line coming in next to the
patch panel for a Cat 5e cabled office. Can I extend the ASDL to
another part of the office over the Cat 5?

Doesn't anybody in the UK use structural cabling for telephony?

Structural cabling = Using the same type of Cat-5 cable + RJ-45 sockets for
telephone, Ethernet, whatever...

I suppose I'd need by the patch panel a BT plug - RJ45 conversion ..
not sure how I would achieve this? Then at the other end, an RJ45 -
BT socket conversion, which is easy enough.

The telephone signal would go on the blue/white pair on pins 4 and 5.
UK phones seem to use an extra wire for the ringer. Is this still in use in
modern phones? Which pin/wire would this go on?

Then I'd plug in the filter and the modem.

You only use a (low-pass) filter to block the ADSL high frequencies from
reaching the POTS phones. For connecting a modem you do not need a filter

Would this work?

Yes. Cat-5e cable is just a better version of twisted-pair telephone cable.
(The really interesting question is whether and when you can run 100 Mbps
Ethernet over normal phone wires.)

(Copy to news:uk.telecom.broadband, follow-ups to news:comp.dcom.cabling.)

--
Petri Krohn
Helsinki Neighborhood Networking Association