Still no upgrade.

Old March 10th 05, 09:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AJB

Default Still no upgrade.

Got my e-mail way back in february telling me i would
be one of the first to be upgraded to 2mb from 1mb.
It was supposed to happen between feb 17 and mar 9
but still not happened. Anyone else the same?.

Andy.

Old March 10th 05, 07:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Carl

Andy,

I got exactly the same dates as you and like you I'm still waiting.

I phoned BT Support who said that I was too far from the exchange for 2M
even though I've been running 1M for ages with absolutely no problems.

Originally, 1M required that users were within 3.5km of their exchange but
as technology improved, BT increased this to within 6km. I must have
upgraded from 512K to 1M _after_ this distance increase. Unfortunately, 2M
again requires that you are within 3.5km of the exchange.*

* Note, I'm recalling these figures from the phone call; I was pretty peed
off at the time -- still am.

Remember, these distances are not as the crow flies, but as the cable runs.
It may make all sorts of twists and turns between your house and the
exchange.

What if you're just 100 yards outside the 3.5km? Can't they "try" 2M on a
customer's line and if it proves unreliable, the customer can ask to have it
reverted? I don't know?

What's most annoying is getting an e-mail stating that "your 2M upgrade will
be installed between..." only for them to pull the rug and say
"na-na-na-na-na, you can't have it!"

If I was in a cable area I'd change ISPs but I'm not. I guess other ISPs
have to use the same BT wires and therefore will have the same issues?

Carl