So it's been asked before, but...

Old March 10th 05, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

Default So it's been asked before, but...

Who is the best broadband provider for 3 young women in a house who have no
interest in p2p, only use iTunes shop and other online shopping, and email, plus
the usual casual surfing.

I am the father of two of the young women and I can set up the connection for
them and provide the WLAN so they can take a laptop into their bedrooms.

Cost is a consideration, as is reliability. Bandwidth is not that critical. I
would prefer free activation and a free ethernet modem, as I intend to use a
wireless router.

How long does it normally take for an installation to be completed - is it just
setting a few jumpers at the exchange or configuring a bit of software? I guess
the main hold-up will be the BT paper-trail.

TIA

JPG

Old March 10th 05, 12:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 12:00:02 +0000, JPG wrote:

Who is the best broadband provider for 3 young women in a house who have no
interest in p2p, only use iTunes shop and other online shopping, and email, plus
the usual casual surfing.

I am the father of two of the young women and I can set up the connection for
them and provide the WLAN so they can take a laptop into their bedrooms.

Cost is a consideration, as is reliability. Bandwidth is not that critical. I
would prefer free activation and a free ethernet modem, as I intend to use a
wireless router.

How long does it normally take for an installation to be completed - is it just
setting a few jumpers at the exchange or configuring a bit of software? I guess
the main hold-up will be the BT paper-trail.

TIA

JPG

I went with Wanadoo and they dont charge a setup fee. £17.99 for a
2Gig cap has worked fine for me and the kids since Sept 04.

Plusnet are another, but they charge for connection.

Wanadoo dont supply a Ethernet modem only a USB one. I would therefore
recommend buying a good ethernet modem rather than rely on a supplied
one (as I wouldnt expect the supplied one to be very good quality).

HTH

Harry
Old March 10th 05, 03:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Beck

"JPG" wrote in message
[...]

I hear Pipex are very popular amongst many in this group. They have various
packages between affordability and high bandwidth.
The activation can take up to 14 days depending on the company and how busy
BT are. Some people have been activated within 3-5 days of application, so
it really does vary.

Old March 10th 05, 09:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"JPG" wrote in message
Who is the best broadband provider for 3 young women in a house

More importantly, do they need another lodger

Old March 10th 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:01:05 -0000, "R D S"
wrote:

"JPG" wrote in message
.. .
Who is the best broadband provider for 3 young women in a house

More importantly, do they need another lodger

That's my daughters you're talking about - be careful
Old March 10th 05, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:31:49 UTC, JPG wrote:

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 21:01:05 -0000, "R D S"
wrote:

"JPG" wrote in message
.. .
Who is the best broadband provider for 3 young women in a house

More importantly, do they need another lodger

That's my daughters you're talking about - be careful

OK, a network manager?