Homecall

Old March 10th 05, 06:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kyoku1968

Default Homecall

Colin Wilson Wrote:
No I do not play games sometimes I am not even using the p.c-
other times just general surfing. I must admit although I am n
expert-

(same here, just muddling through, not always correct, but I try :-} )
-
but I was thinking there may be a link with the usb modem. Was ther
fix for this problem? I am considering a router to allow wire less
connection for a pda but am not decided yet but hopefully th
ethernet
connection would resolve the problem.But as I say i'm not definately
going to do it so is it likely that if I don't I will have to suffer
the poor connection/-

I suppose it might depend on the line you have coming in - perhaps the
distance from the exchange and line noise etc (you don`t always hav
be a long way from the exchange to have noise problems).

If its the line causing the problem, a router may or may not help
depending on how good it is at locking on to the signal (in a simila
way
to why some mobile phones have a better reception than others despite
being at the same location / on the same network)

Sometimes a powered USB hub can help resolve power related problems
but
it all probably depends on whether there`s a problem with your line.

Does it happen randomly, or is there a pattern to the disconnections -
could it be some form of power saving shutting down the ports ?

What spec is your PC (I doubt this is the problem, but you never kno
!)

--
Please add "[newsgroup]" in the subject of any personal replies vi
email

It has only happened in the evenings so far usually at similar time
but not always? My p.c spec is P III 256mb Ram running windows 98SE
But as to your other question regards power saving , I don't think thi
is the case but I am no expert when it comes to pc's so cannot be 100
sure

--
kyoku1968