Mail Hosting

Old March 11th 05, 10:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

Default Mail Hosting

If this is an inappropriate group for this question I would appreciate
any pointers to a better group.

I have my own domain name registered (through Easily) but they don't
offer 'mail 'hosting' (if that's the right expression), instead any
email addressed to my domain is forwarded to my ISP.

I am trying to set things up so that I would be free to change my ISP
without losing access to my email during any changeover.

I think I need a mail hosting service but I got some slightly odd
results from Google, including a picture of a very quaint place that
offers to host PO Box numbers, so I guess I'm not quite on the right
track.

Is 'mail hosting' the right term? Any recommendations for suppliers? I
am happy to pay for the service and, presumably, transfer my domain
name to them.

Many thanks.

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old March 11th 05, 11:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

Is 'mail hosting' the right term? Any recommendations for suppliers? I
am happy to pay for the service and, presumably, transfer my domain
name to them.

www.gradwell.com

Just a happy customer.

Old March 11th 05, 11:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

On 11 Mar 2005 10:14:42 GMT, "Jeff Gaines"
wrote:

If this is an inappropriate group for this question I would appreciate
any pointers to a better group.

I have my own domain name registered (through Easily) but they don't
offer 'mail 'hosting' (if that's the right expression), instead any
email addressed to my domain is forwarded to my ISP.

I am trying to set things up so that I would be free to change my ISP
without losing access to my email during any changeover.

I think I need a mail hosting service but I got some slightly odd
results from Google, including a picture of a very quaint place that
offers to host PO Box numbers, so I guess I'm not quite on the right
track.

Is 'mail hosting' the right term? Any recommendations for suppliers? I
am happy to pay for the service and, presumably, transfer my domain
name to them.

Many thanks.

You said your email is forwarded to your ISP. When you change to
another ISP then just alter the forwarding to this new ISP.

HTH

Harry

Old March 11th 05, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spin Dryer

On 11 Mar 2005 10:14:42 GMT, [Jeff Gaines] said :-

If this is an inappropriate group for this question I would appreciate
any pointers to a better group.

I have my own domain name registered (through Easily) but they don't
offer 'mail 'hosting' (if that's the right expression), instead any
email addressed to my domain is forwarded to my ISP.

I am trying to set things up so that I would be free to change my ISP
without losing access to my email during any changeover.

If you aim to change ISP, then you do have a few options. As you
forward the emails to your ISP account, then you can forward the
emails to your new ISP account, and it'll be transparent to anyone
emailing you via your domain.

If you can still access your old ISP mail system whilst the changeover
is being made, then there should be no disruption, as you can keep
forwarding to the old ISP until you have changed.

If, however, your existing ISP cancels your mail before the new ISP is
setup - then you have to make arrangements via your easily control
panel to forward the emails elsewhere whilst the ISP change is in
limbo.

For example, you could set up a gmail/hotmail account, and forward
emails to those accounts. Of course, any replies you make will be
"from" the hotmail/gmail account.

Gmail does allow for some settings changes, so you could always add a
signature info and mention the temporary change.
Old March 11th 05, 12:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

"Grant" wrote in message
"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message

Is 'mail hosting' the right term? Any recommendations for suppliers? I
am happy to pay for the service and, presumably, transfer my domain
name to them.

www.gradwell.com

Just a happy customer.

www.lowcostnames.co.uk

You get a web based mail client as well as POP3.

Likewise a satisfied customer.

Ivor

Old March 11th 05, 01:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

If this is an inappropriate group for this question I would appreciate
any pointers to a better group.

I have my own domain name registered (through Easily) but they don't
offer 'mail 'hosting' (if that's the right expression), instead any
email addressed to my domain is forwarded to my ISP.

I am trying to set things up so that I would be free to change my ISP
without losing access to my email during any changeover.

I think I need a mail hosting service but I got some slightly odd
results from Google, including a picture of a very quaint place that
offers to host PO Box numbers, so I guess I'm not quite on the right
track.

Is 'mail hosting' the right term? Any recommendations for suppliers? I
am happy to pay for the service and, presumably, transfer my domain
name to them.

Just sign up with a new ISP before you dump the old one. Most will ensure
that mail handling is enabled quickly and usually in advance of a 'go live'
date, so just send yourself a test message to the new account and when it
arrives, reset the mail forwarding with your hosts, then dump the old ISP.

Old March 11th 05, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spacen Jasset

Jeff Gaines wrote:
If this is an inappropriate group for this question I would appreciate
any pointers to a better group.

I have my own domain name registered (through Easily) but they don't
offer 'mail 'hosting' (if that's the right expression), instead any
email addressed to my domain is forwarded to my ISP.

I am trying to set things up so that I would be free to change my ISP
without losing access to my email during any changeover.

I think I need a mail hosting service but I got some slightly odd
results from Google, including a picture of a very quaint place that
offers to host PO Box numbers, so I guess I'm not quite on the right
track.

Is 'mail hosting' the right term? Any recommendations for suppliers? I
am happy to pay for the service and, presumably, transfer my domain
name to them.

Many thanks.

You have 'forwarding' already by the looks of things. You can therefore
Immediatly change the address of where your email will be delivered
(i..e you can get your email delivered to your new isp without
interruption immediately so long as you sign up to the new isp before
you quit the old one - if you can't do this, get a hotmail or yahoo
acount and deliver your email there temporarily while you get your new
isp account set up )

'hosting' usually refers to 'web hosting', which will often also include
email storage, but not always.

If you want storage then these companies all offer domain registration
and email storage as well as forawrding at reasonable prices per year,
but look around for others ( check the web sites for exact prices):

plugsocket.co.uk ~23 per com domain with 10 pop3/imap/email forwarding
+ web hosting ( optional hosting )

gnhosting.co.uk ~40 (excluding domain name) full web hosting, 50 imap/
pop3 over multiple domains

Old March 11th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gordon

Spacen Jasset wrote:
|| Jeff Gaines wrote:
||| If this is an inappropriate group for this question I would
||| appreciate any pointers to a better group.
||| I have my own domain name registered (through Easily) but they don't
||| offer 'mail 'hosting' (if that's the right expression), instead any
||| email addressed to my domain is forwarded to my ISP.
||| I am trying to set things up so that I would be free to change my
||| ISP without losing access to my email during any changeover.
||| I think I need a mail hosting service but I got some slightly odd
||| results from Google, including a picture of a very quaint place that
||| offers to host PO Box numbers, so I guess I'm not quite on the right
||| track.
||| Is 'mail hosting' the right term? Any recommendations for
||| suppliers? I am happy to pay for the service and, presumably,
||| transfer my domain name to them.
||| Many thanks.
|| You have 'forwarding' already by the looks of things. You can
|| therefore Immediatly change the address of where your email will be
|| delivered (i..e you can get your email delivered to your new isp
|| without interruption immediately so long as you sign up to the new
|| isp before you quit the old one - if you can't do this, get a
|| hotmail or yahoo acount and deliver your email there temporarily
|| while you get your new isp account set up )
|| 'hosting' usually refers to 'web hosting', which will often also
|| include email storage, but not always.
|| If you want storage then these companies all offer domain
|| registration and email storage as well as forawrding at reasonable
|| prices per year, but look around for others ( check the web sites
|| for exact prices):
|| plugsocket.co.uk ~23 per com domain with 10 pop3/imap/email
|| forwarding + web hosting ( optional hosting )
|| gnhosting.co.uk ~40 (excluding domain name) full web hosting, 50
|| imap/ pop3 over multiple domains

Heart Internet - 39 pa web and mail hosting. 1000 mailboxes, 20GB web space
amongst other things.

Gordon Burgess-Parker
Director
www.gbpcomputing.co.uk

Old March 12th 05, 10:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Jeff Gaines

On 11/03/2005 Gordon wrote:

Heart Internet - 39 pa web and mail hosting. 1000 mailboxes, 20GB
web space amongst other things.

Many thanks for all the responses, I have started looking at the
providers and will continue to do so over the next few weeks. Heart
Internet does look very good and offers what I want, it's good to be
able to try out their control panel as well. Their free dial up service
would also keep me going if there was a delay in changing my ISP.

Thanks again :-)

--
Jeff Gaines
Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.7
Old March 14th 05, 09:21 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry

wrote:

If this is an inappropriate group for this question I would appreciate
any pointers to a better group.

I have my own domain name registered (through Easily) but they don't
offer 'mail 'hosting' (if that's the right expression), instead any
email addressed to my domain is forwarded to my ISP.

I am trying to set things up so that I would be free to change my ISP
without losing access to my email during any changeover.

I think I need a mail hosting service but I got some slightly odd
results from Google, including a picture of a very quaint place that
offers to host PO Box numbers, so I guess I'm not quite on the right
track.

Is 'mail hosting' the right term? Any recommendations for suppliers? I
am happy to pay for the service and, presumably, transfer my domain
name to them.

Many thanks.

If you just want dial up and be able to get your emails through your
domain then you only need to sign up with a ISP on their PayAsYouGo
tarriff. Basically you pay just the call (which is a local priced
call). Some one like Clara.net or Plus.net are as good as any and it
cost you nothing.

If you want to pay for dialup then you'd be better off getting
broadband as the cost per month is identical. Wanadoo and Plus.net
give good prices for low usage packages starting at 14.99 per month.

Do you really need mail hosting? If you just want to use your domain
as a web address then you dont need it. Just use the mail hosting
provided by your ISP, and then point the domain to yhe ISP.

HTH

Harry