2 modems 1 phone line

Old March 11th 05, 04:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bates

Default 2 modems 1 phone line

Hi

Should it be possible to connect 2 broadband modems to 1 phone line, i.e.
one computer upstairs one computer downstairs, I have tried it and have to
disconnect one of the modems each time

Regards
David

Old March 11th 05, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob C

Should it be possible to connect 2 broadband modems to 1 phone line...

No

Old March 11th 05, 05:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:16:11 -0000, "David Bates"
wrote:

Hi

Should it be possible to connect 2 broadband modems to 1 phone line, i.e.
one computer upstairs one computer downstairs, I have tried it and have to
disconnect one of the modems each time

Its impossible. If you want to share the line btw more than one PC,
you need to use a router.
Old March 11th 05, 08:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
R D S

"David Bates" wrote in message
Hi

Should it be possible to connect 2 broadband modems to 1 phone line, i.e.
one computer upstairs one computer downstairs, I have tried it and have to
disconnect one of the modems each time

Regards
David

I would get a router with wireless. Best thing I ever did.
Rick

Old March 12th 05, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bates

Sorry I did not mean at the same time

David

Old March 14th 05, 03:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lenny Nero

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 16:16:11 +0000, David Bates said:

Hi

Should it be possible to connect 2 broadband modems to 1 phone line, i.e.
one computer upstairs one computer downstairs, I have tried it and have to
disconnect one of the modems each time

Regards
David

You could do it, but it would be a hard way to do things.

Each modem would have to be disconnected/reconnected (as you have found)
to let the other work.

As others have said a router and some cable is a cheep and easy way to do
things.

L.