Netgear DG 834 firmware question

Old March 12th 05, 01:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

Default Netgear DG 834 firmware question

I have tried both the official 2.10.09 and unofficial 2.10.10 betas.

For me they both have the same problem, blocking by schedule
(keywords] does not work. It must work so I can keep my young children
off the net when I am not present.

Settings are present and correct and they only work again when I
revert to 1.05.00.

Do I need to set the router to defaults before upgrading (or even
after)? If so, will I be able to import a backup of my configuration?

TIA for any help.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old March 12th 05, 10:25 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
I have tried both the official 2.10.09 and unofficial 2.10.10 betas.

For me they both have the same problem, blocking by schedule
(keywords] does not work. It must work so I can keep my young children
off the net when I am not present.

Settings are present and correct and they only work again when I
revert to 1.05.00.

Do I need to set the router to defaults before upgrading (or even
after)? If so, will I be able to import a backup of my configuration?

TIA for any help.

--
Cheers,

Guy

its a known bug and will be fixed in the full public release

Old March 12th 05, 10:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 01:36:56 +0000, Dr Teeth
wrote:

Do I need to set the router to defaults before upgrading (or even
after)?

Generally this is recommended. You may also need to reboot the router
several times, and I found with my SMC that I had to go away for 30
mins before trying to configure it. No idea why...

I also needed to set the config with IE - it didn't behave properly
with Firefox.

If so, will I be able to import a backup of my configuration?

quite likely not, as the config size will be different.

Old March 12th 05, 10:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:25:34 +0000 (UTC), "MM"
wrote:

its a known bug and will be fixed in the full public release

Thanks. Any idea of an ETA?

--
Cheers,

Guy

** And some people think that coming **
** down from the trees was a big mistake. **
Old March 12th 05, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
I have tried both the official 2.10.09 and unofficial 2.10.10 betas.

I can see no mention that there is an "official" 2.**.** release - all
2.**.** releases are beta according to www.netgear.com

Don't use beta firmware unless you're having a problem with the official
release. At least I wouldn't.

Gareth.

Old March 12th 05, 11:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Gareth wrote:
"Dr Teeth" wrote in message
I have tried both the official 2.10.09 and unofficial 2.10.10 betas.

I can see no mention that there is an "official" 2.**.** release - all
2.**.** releases are beta according to www.netgear.com

Don't use beta firmware unless you're having a problem with the
official release. At least I wouldn't.

Gareth.

Funnily enough it's a 1.**.* beta which has solved all my problems the
2.**.* ones effectively break it again....

Old March 13th 05, 08:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 22:59:45 -0000, "Gareth"
wrote:

I have tried both the official 2.10.09 and unofficial 2.10.10 betas.

I can see no mention that there is an "official" 2.**.** release - all
2.**.** releases are beta according to www.netgear.com

read what I wrote again s-l-o-w-l-y.

2.10.09 is an official beta as it appears on Netgear's site, the
2.10.10 is an unofficial beta as it does not and was leaked.

Hope penny's dropping now g.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old March 13th 05, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth

wrote:

I have tried both the official 2.10.09 and unofficial 2.10.10 betas.

I can see no mention that there is an "official" 2.**.** release - all
2.**.** releases are beta according to www.netgear.com

read what I wrote again s-l-o-w-l-y.

2.10.09 is an official beta as it appears on Netgear's site, the
2.10.10 is an unofficial beta as it does not and was leaked.

Hope penny's dropping now g.

An read the second part of what I said - don't use a chuffing beta unless
you're having problems with the official release; don't be surprised if a
beta software breaks functions that were previously working.

And 2.10.10 was not "leaked" - Netgear gave me a download location for it as
a result of problems with the 1.5 release (i.e. the "official" support
service suggested that I use it as a result of problems with the "official"
1.5 release. Your distinction between "official" and "unofficial" beta
release is therefore questionable.

Gareth.

Old March 13th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 14:53:21 -0000, "Gareth"
wrote:

Your distinction between "official" and "unofficial" beta
release is therefore questionable.

The .10 beta is not on their site whereas the .9 is.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old March 13th 05, 11:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tony Hogarty

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 22:18:40 +0000, Gareth wrote:

Fwiw the Netgear firmware system is odd: 1.05 apparently contains an
earlier version of the DSL connection code than 1.04.

Nothing particularly unusual in that - screw up one version of a code so
you have to roll back to a previous version. Happens all the time.

--
Regards

Tony Hogarty
(Take out the garbage to reply)