Using cordless DECT phone with VOIP router?

Old March 12th 05, 03:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anon

Default Using cordless DECT phone with VOIP router?

I'm about to sell some similar phones (2016) as we upgraded to Philips xenia
ones.
But about VoIP, you may want to check out www.vonage.co.uk
They are huge in the US and Canada and just moved here this year too.
They provide equipment to connect a regular phone to an ethernet port (eg on
router).
I wanted to setup my wife in FL and also my parents in Scotland, but as our
broadband line is ADSL, we are apparently not allowed to ditch our BT phone
line?
It all has something to do with a hot topic in telecoms right now called
"Local Loop Unbundling".
Perhaps someone reading this could provide more of an insight as I've only
just become aware that BT can force me to have their phone service if I want
broadband (even with another provider).
I should also point out that if there is a dispute with your phone service,
BT has the right to deny access to any broadband service provided by anyone
too.
"Nigel M" wrote in message
In uk.telecom.broadband, Nigel M wrote:

I've just bought a job lot of DECT/GAP base stations and PSUs on eBay

As it happens, the base stations have answering machines (they are from
the BT / Siemens Diverse 3016).

Is there such a concept as an "incoming call" on VOIP, and would an
answering machine pick up?

Anyway, I've got an auction on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5174236865

--
Nigel M
"Occam's razor is not always sharp"

Old March 12th 05, 09:46 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

I wanted to setup my wife in FL and also my parents in Scotland, but as our
broadband line is ADSL, we are apparently not allowed to ditch our BT
phone
line?
It all has something to do with a hot topic in telecoms right now called
"Local Loop Unbundling".
Perhaps someone reading this could provide more of an insight as I've only
just become aware that BT can force me to have their phone service if I
want
broadband (even with another provider).

BT will not force you to use their phone service, just rent the line and use
another provider for your calls. If you want broadband then you need a line
from the exchange to your property and that`s not provided free.
LLU enables another provider to have direct access to the line from the
exchange to your house for which you will be billed by the alternative
provider anyway.

Fred S

Old March 12th 05, 10:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark McIntyre

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 03:58:02 -0000, "Anon"
wrote:

I wanted to setup my wife in FL and also my parents in Scotland, but as our
broadband line is ADSL, we are apparently not allowed to ditch our BT phone
line?

Yes, because ADSL is provided over the BT line.

Perhaps someone reading this could provide more of an insight as I've only
just become aware that BT can force me to have their phone service if I want
broadband (even with another provider).

They can't force you to keep their line, but if you want ADSL you need
it since ADSL is almost invariably provided over their copper. There's
a VERY small number of areas in the UK where other ADSL line
providers. Alternatively you may be in a cable area.

I should also point out that if there is a dispute with your phone service,
BT has the right to deny access to any broadband service provided by anyone
too.

They're providing two services on one contract - a line and phone
calls. If you don't pay the bill they can suspend both.

Old March 12th 05, 03:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
§meagol

"The Simpsons" wrote in message

[...]

Whilst BT may not force you to use their phone service they do force you to
pay for one. There is no longer an option to pay for line rental only - all
lines come with a Together Option ( 1, 2 or 3) which you pay for.
Personally I feel it is about time someone put a stop to this as there are
many better deals for calls than BT. This sort of practice should be
outlawed.
--
§meagol