Netgear DG834G vs DG834GT

Old March 12th 05, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

Default Netgear DG834G vs DG834GT

Saw these in micro anvika today

To me they look like the same router apart from
DG834G - 54MB/s - 90
DG834GT - 108 MB/s - 150

Is the DG834GT worth paying the extra 66% ?
--
Mike
Old March 12th 05, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bozo

"Mike NG" wrote in message
Saw these in micro anvika today

To me they look like the same router apart from
DG834G - 54MB/s - 90
DG834GT - 108 MB/s - 150

Is the DG834GT worth paying the extra 66% ?
--
Mike

Suppose it depends if you need the 108mbps wireless link...... Unless you
need 108mbps, then the answer is no.....

Old March 12th 05, 09:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Gibson

"Mike NG" wrote in message
Saw these in micro anvika today

To me they look like the same router apart from
DG834G - 54MB/s - 90
DG834GT - 108 MB/s - 150

Is the DG834GT worth paying the extra 66% ?
--
Mike

Not when you can get the DG834GT for 106 or cheaper including a PC card

http://tinyurl.com/3ve29

Dave

Old March 12th 05, 09:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:48:02 +0000, Mike NG
wrote:

Saw these in micro anvika today

To me they look like the same router apart from
DG834G - 54MB/s - 90
DG834GT - 108 MB/s - 150

Is the DG834GT worth paying the extra 66% ?

Bear in mind, the 108 MB/s is not yet a ratified standard.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old March 13th 05, 01:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
MM

"Mike NG" wrote in message
Saw these in micro anvika today

To me they look like the same router apart from
DG834G - 54MB/s - 90
DG834GT - 108 MB/s - 150

Is the DG834GT worth paying the extra 66% ?
--
Mike

not really - unless you have NETGEAR 108Mbps cards and want to transfer
files quicked between PCs - I use a DG834G and its been great over the last
year or so...very stable product.

Old March 13th 05, 09:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Wira One

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:48:02 +0000, Mike NG wrote:

Saw these in micro anvika today

To me they look like the same router apart from
DG834G - 54MB/s - 90
DG834GT - 108 MB/s - 150

Is the DG834GT worth paying the extra 66% ?

Bought DG834GT+PC card last week for 106 (inc tax & P&P) from misco
(simply computer). I've good 108Mbps connection at the same floor, but
when I moved my notebook to upstair, I'm getting low or no signal. Put it
back to 11g mode and it is happily connected at 54Mbps with very good
signal. I'll suggest, go for DG834G for now and shop around, I've saw it
selling for less than 80 inclusive P&P.

Old March 13th 05, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 at 21:21:19, Wira One (Wira One
) wrote:
On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 20:48:02 +0000, Mike NG wrote:

Saw these in micro anvika today

To me they look like the same router apart from
DG834G - 54MB/s - 90
DG834GT - 108 MB/s - 150

Is the DG834GT worth paying the extra 66% ?

Bought DG834GT+PC card last week for 106 (inc tax & P&P) from misco
(simply computer). I've good 108Mbps connection at the same floor, but
when I moved my notebook to upstair, I'm getting low or no signal. Put it
back to 11g mode and it is happily connected at 54Mbps with very good
signal. I'll suggest, go for DG834G for now and shop around, I've saw it
selling for less than 80 inclusive P&P.

That's interesting cos if you look at the "Wireless router percentage of
detectable signal" section on this page
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...ear-dg834g.asp

the Netgear DG834G has a good reputation for going through walls
--
Mike
Old March 14th 05, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

) wrote:

Bought DG834GT+PC card last week for 106 (inc tax & P&P) from misco
(simply computer). I've good 108Mbps connection at the same floor, but
when I moved my notebook to upstair, I'm getting low or no signal. Put it
back to 11g mode and it is happily connected at 54Mbps with very good
signal. I'll suggest, go for DG834G for now and shop around, I've saw it
selling for less than 80 inclusive P&P.

That's interesting cos if you look at the "Wireless router percentage of
detectable signal" section on this page
http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware...ear-dg834g.asp

the Netgear DG834G has a good reputation for going through walls

Seems to me the previous poster is backing up the findings of that
review in that in standard 11g mode he doesn't lose much of the
signal, only when he ramps it up to 108mbit/s.
Old March 14th 05, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

wrote:

Saw these in micro anvika today

To me they look like the same router apart from
DG834G - 54MB/s - 90
DG834GT - 108 MB/s - 150

Is the DG834GT worth paying the extra 66% ?

Both those prices look extremely high. The DG834G is typically 60-70
(inc VAT). Indeed, only last week I went through about 10 sites and
price checked this very model, the variance in price is seldom more
than a few quid.

The GT looks even more over priced - see the following link for a GT
AND wireless PCI card for 108.

The GT is a newer model, but 108mbit/s is not an accepted standard.
Personally I'd go for the G version.