Will SNR change with connection speed

Old March 13th 05, 07:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Furby

Default Will SNR change with connection speed

I've just been upgraded from 512K to 1Mb, every thing works fine except I
have noticed my SNR reading have changed

On 512K I had the following readings
Line Attenuation 53 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 28 db 29 db

I now have these

Line Attenuation 53 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 18 db 29 db

Is this to be expected or have BT moved me to a noisier connection ?

Thanks

Old March 13th 05, 07:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Furby wrote:
I've just been upgraded from 512K to 1Mb, every thing works fine
except I have noticed my SNR reading have changed

On 512K I had the following readings
Line Attenuation 53 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 28 db 29 db

I now have these

Line Attenuation 53 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 18 db 29 db

Is this to be expected or have BT moved me to a noisier connection ?

Thanks

Simple answer is yes...

Old March 13th 05, 11:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Marky

snr is not constant, with the readings from your modem, only a whoosh test
produces accurate readings

Old March 13th 05, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

The noise level on your line is a fixed quantity depending on line quality.

The signal-to-noise level can change only if the signal level and/or line
itself is changed.

If everything is working OK then count your blessings and don't try to fix
it.

==================================

Old March 13th 05, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Marky wrote:
snr is not constant, with the readings from your modem, only a whoosh
test produces accurate readings

Read the question...........

Old March 13th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

I've just been upgraded from 512K to 1Mb, every thing works fine except I
have noticed my SNR reading have changed

Every time you double the connection speed, the SNR drops by about 10 dB.
You need a SNR of at least 12 dB to have a working ADSL connection --
therefore, that shows that you're fine for 1 Mb, but your line isn't good
enough to be upgraded to 2 Mb.

Old March 13th 05, 04:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Furby

"Chris Jones" wrote in message
I've just been upgraded from 512K to 1Mb, every thing works fine except

have noticed my SNR reading have changed

Every time you double the connection speed, the SNR drops by about 10 dB.
You need a SNR of at least 12 dB to have a working ADSL connection --
therefore, that shows that you're fine for 1 Mb, but your line isn't good
enough to be upgraded to 2 Mb.

unfortunately I know my line will not be able to support 2Mb, how ever, how
will this work with 8Mb dsl and the new adsl2+ experiments, I can see only
very few homes able to have such high speeds .

Also with the new adsl2+ will i be able to get higher speeds and if so how
high ? and when

Old March 13th 05, 04:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

unfortunately I know my line will not be able to support 2Mb, how ever,
how will this work with 8Mb dsl and the new adsl2+ experiments, I can
see only very few homes able to have such high speeds .

Also with the new adsl2+ will i be able to get higher speeds and if so how
high ? and when

Although the limits haven't been set yet, it's likely that you won't be able
to get 4/8 Mb unless you can already get 2 Mb with a decent SNR.

ADSL2+ does two things:
1) extends the reach of 512 kbs to work on very long lines
2) allows some people who can already get 2 Mb to get speeds up to 18 Mb.

ADSL2+ will do nothing for people who already have a 0.5 or 1 Mb connection
but don't have a good enough line to get 2 Mb.

Old March 13th 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Furby

"Chris Jones" wrote in message
unfortunately I know my line will not be able to support 2Mb, how ever,
how will this work with 8Mb dsl and the new adsl2+ experiments, I can
see only very few homes able to have such high speeds .

Also with the new adsl2+ will i be able to get higher speeds and if so

how
high ? and when

Although the limits haven't been set yet, it's likely that you won't be

able
to get 4/8 Mb unless you can already get 2 Mb with a decent SNR.

ADSL2+ does two things:
1) extends the reach of 512 kbs to work on very long lines
2) allows some people who can already get 2 Mb to get speeds up to 18 Mb.

ADSL2+ will do nothing for people who already have a 0.5 or 1 Mb

connection
but don't have a good enough line to get 2 Mb.

So what use is adsl2+

If you cant get any bb you will able to get 512K that's about 3% of the
population.

For those in the 2Mb group its great , but what about the majority who are
on 512K or 1Mb lines
something you said just does not add up. Where will BT get their profits
from , those lucky few with high bandwidth connections? sorry that does not
make good business sense.
I have heard a lot of talk about DSLAMS being put in the local street boxes,
is this now not happening ? I thought that was BT way of getting people on
to the higher bandwidths ? I.e. if you can't get to the exchange they will
bring the exchange to you.