My Netgear router thinks Ebay is the same as s*x!!

Old March 13th 05, 08:36 PM posted to comp.security.firewalls,uk.telecom.broadband
hs

Default My Netgear router thinks Ebay is the same as s*x!!

I want to block some websites on my home network. I used to use the
HOSTS file, which worked fine up to a point, although it was a pain
maintaining the file up to date. Then I looked at DNSKong, which
seemed really good on paper, but I never managed to set it up
properly.

Then I got a Netgear DG834g router (magic!) and found the 'Block
sites' function very functional. However it seems to block some sites
even though there is nothing sinister in the URLs. I did some basic
testing and found for example that entering 'sex' as one of the
keywords frequently (but not always) prevents access to the
www.ebay.co.uk homepage! There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

Anybody come across this problem before? Is it a design problem
(unlikely?) or I have not got the router setup properly? I'm using XP
and Firefox, and I have two PCs wired into the router.

Does anybody use DNSKong behind a NAT router? If so can they please
give me some pointers into how to set up the IP address etc? I have
done a lot of reading on the subject, but have ended up even more
confused!

Grateful for all input. Thanks

HS
Old March 13th 05, 09:11 PM posted to comp.security.firewalls,uk.telecom.broadband
Dr Teeth

It depends on what you want to block.

I have effectively blocked off the Internet to my kids PCs by blocking
various TLDs (.com, .co.uk etc) based on an all day schedule.

--
Cheers,

Guy

Old March 13th 05, 10:18 PM posted to comp.security.firewalls,uk.telecom.broadband
Dave

"hs" wrote in message

I did some basic
testing and found for example that entering 'sex' as one of the
keywords frequently (but not always) prevents access to the
www.ebay.co.uk homepage! There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

Ebay is better than SEX!!

Old March 13th 05, 10:55 PM posted to comp.security.firewalls,uk.telecom.broadband
Bales1983 (Lee Bales)

hs wrote:
I did some basic
testing and found for example that entering 'sex' as one of the
keywords frequently (but not always) prevents access to the
www.ebay.co.uk homepage! There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

It wouldnt be when there was a featured auction on the front page like
'Sexy outfit' or 'sussex history book' etc would it??

Lee
Old March 13th 05, 10:57 PM posted to comp.security.firewalls,uk.telecom.broadband
Bales1983 (Lee Bales)

Bales1983 (Lee Bales) wrote:
hs wrote:
I did some basic

testing and found for example that entering 'sex' as one of the
keywords frequently (but not always) prevents access to the
www.ebay.co.uk homepage! There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

It wouldnt be when there was a featured auction on the front page like
'Sexy outfit' or 'sussex history book' etc would it??

Lee

Like right now 'WATCHES LADIES ''sexy'' WATCH 2005 style.(an.s.)' is on
there

Sorry to reply to own post

Lee
Old March 14th 05, 03:17 PM posted to comp.security.firewalls,uk.telecom.broadband
hs

Bales1983 (Lee Bales) wrote:

It wouldnt be when there was a featured auction on the front page
like 'Sexy outfit' or 'sussex history book' etc would it??

Lee

It's not supposed to work like that, is it?? The user manual indicates
that the website's URL must contain the keyword to be blocked, eg if
'sex' is a keyword, then www.midsussexgolfclub.co.uk would be blocked
but www.msgc.co.uk would not

HS

Old March 14th 05, 06:01 PM posted to comp.security.firewalls,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

Dave wrote:
"hs" wrote in message

I did some basic
testing and found for example that entering 'sex' as one of the
keywords frequently (but not always) prevents access to the
www.ebay.co.uk homepage! There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

Ebay is better than SEX!!

Depends on who's paying ;-)

Old March 14th 05, 10:32 PM posted to comp.security.firewalls,uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 at 22:55:32, Bales1983 (Lee Bales) ("Bales1983 (Lee
Bales)" ) wrote:
hs wrote:
I did some basic
testing and found for example that entering 'sex' as one of the
keywords frequently (but not always) prevents access to the
www.ebay.co.uk homepage! There doesn't seem to be any logic to it.

It wouldnt be when there was a featured auction on the front page like
'Sexy outfit' or 'sussex history book' etc would it??

Surely a decent filter can detect the difference between
spacesexspace and
spacesussexspace
--
Mike