Which ISP for a Charity - do they all charge at business rate?

Old March 14th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

Default Which ISP for a Charity - do they all charge at business rate?

Can anyone recommend an ISP which can give a service at normal
domestic rates, or special low rates. I was hoping to use Plusnet
14.99 as the intended use will be for no more than 3 hours per day
three days a week. Unfortunately this isn't available as Charities are
deemed to be businesses.

KM
Old March 14th 05, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

km wrote:
Can anyone recommend an ISP which can give a service at normal
domestic rates, or special low rates. I was hoping to use Plusnet
14.99 as the intended use will be for no more than 3 hours per day
three days a week. Unfortunately this isn't available as Charities are
deemed to be businesses.

KM

A few providers suit your requirements:

* Zen (http://www.zenbroadband.com) will give you a "Home" service for
use whether your a charity or a business.

* AAISP (http://www.aaisp.net.uk) have a charity tarriff on their 512k
product (see the tarriffs page). There is a requirement that you must be
a registered charity though.

* Metronet (http://www.metronet.co.uk/adsl/paygo) appare to allow their
unique "Pay and Go" service to be used by business users too.

I've probably missed quite a few other providers out, so I'd advise
taking a look at ADSLGuide (http://www.adslguide.org.uk) for a
definative answer (they have forums that you can post on too, and most
of the ISP's have staff who read / post there).

hth.
Old March 14th 05, 11:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
km

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:42:34 +0000, Martyn Dewar
wrote:

km wrote:
[...]

Thanks Martyn - I will follow these up.

KM
Old March 14th 05, 07:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cw

I don't know if http://www.charitydays.net/ will be of any use with you.
There are certain similarities with other portals ;0)

Incidentally, if your phone line is a home phone line - you can order any
home account on it anyway (just play dumb if queried). If the phone line is
registered as a business then you aren't supposed to be able to order home
ADSL.

--
Colin
Old March 14th 05, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On 14 Mar 2005 19:01:54 GMT, cw wrote:

Incidentally, if your phone line is a home phone line - you can order any
home account on it anyway (just play dumb if queried). If the phone line is
registered as a business then you aren't supposed to be able to order home
ADSL.

That isn't true. As far as BT Wholesale (lets assume we are taking
about a line provisioned via BT Wholesale) are concerned there isn't
any such thing as "home ADSL". They provision 20:1 services which many
ISPs advertise as "business" services and 50:1 which is sometimes
advertised by ISPs as "home ADSL", but there is nothing to stop an ISP
ordering a 50:1 "home" service on a business phone line.
--
Andy Norman
http://www.norman.cx/
Old March 14th 05, 11:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

cw wrote:
I don't know if http://www.charitydays.net/ will be of any use with
you. There are certain similarities with other portals ;0)

It is hosted by Plusnet.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old March 14th 05, 11:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Andrew Norman

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:00:22 +0000, Andrew Norman
wrote:

On 14 Mar 2005 19:01:54 GMT, cw wrote:

Incidentally, if your phone line is a home phone line - you can order any
home account on it anyway (just play dumb if queried). If the phone line is
registered as a business then you aren't supposed to be able to order home
ADSL.

I've just realised that you may well have been referring specifically
to the distinction between the CharityDays business/non-business
products. In which case, please ignore my other post.
Old March 15th 05, 07:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Old Codger wrote:

cw wrote:

I don't know if http://www.charitydays.net/ will be of any use with
you. There are certain similarities with other portals ;0)

It is hosted by Plusnet.

More specifically, it's a plusnet provided vISP. (Note: It isn't owned
by Plusnet).

Interestingly, quite a few of Plusnet's controversial policies ("Fair
Usage" Policy etc) don't apply to vISP's that they don't own...