Pipex Static address

Old March 14th 05, 02:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Default Pipex Static address

Hi Im trying to set up my router for a static address on pipex is this
possible to do this without paying more for it? I have a dlink 604 router
but it does not seem to work when I set it up to go static with Pipex
Any help appreciated
Graham

Old March 14th 05, 02:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Graham

Hi Grant so I cant set the router up for static address period? What is the
advantage of static address for the uninformed please
"Grant" wrote in message
"Graham" wrote in message

Hi Im trying to set up my router for a static address on pipex is this
possible to do this without paying more for it? I have a dlink 604
router but it does not seem to work when I set it up to go static

Pipex don't offer static IPs on their Solo products at all - even if you
offer to pay.

Old March 14th 05, 02:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pete M Williams

"Graham" wrote in message
Hi Grant so I cant set the router up for static address period? What is
the
advantage of static address for the uninformed please

If you are running your own web server or FTP server, or want
people/yourself to connect to your PC over a VPN it makes it so much easier.
You can do just the same things with a dynamic address but a static one just
makes it a little easier and often cuts the need out to install more
software onto your PC that circumnavigates the fact that your IP is always
changing.

Old March 14th 05, 04:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

Graham wrote on Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:01:42 -0000:

Hi Im trying to set up my router for a static address on pipex is this
possible to do this without paying more for it? I have a dlink 604 router
but it does not seem to work when I set it up to go static with Pipex

I was with Pipex for 3 years (just left to go to Plus.net as I don't need an
uncapped service and I'd rather pay less), and in all that time my IP never
changed.

Dan

Old March 14th 05, 05:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Shevek

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 16:43:28 -0000, "Spack"
wrote:

Graham wrote on Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:01:42 -0000:

Hi Im trying to set up my router for a static address on pipex is this
possible to do this without paying more for it? I have a dlink 604 router
but it does not seem to work when I set it up to go static with Pipex

I was with Pipex for 3 years (just left to go to Plus.net as I don't need an
uncapped service and I'd rather pay less), and in all that time my IP never
changed.

As per a recent post here, this is true if you are on the extreme1
realm. If you are on extreme2 or extreme3 your IP will change far more
often. I am on extreme3 and it changes every login...

Dan

--

Shevek

iTunesRegistry.com: 1,806 tracks, 2.752 diversity
http://www.itunesregistry.com/report...?showuser=2011

Get DigiGuide - a downloadable desktop PC TV and Radio Guide
http://getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=31493

Get Firefox!
Old March 15th 05, 01:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Spack

wrote:

Graham wrote on Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:01:42 -0000:

Hi Im trying to set up my router for a static address on pipex is this
possible to do this without paying more for it? I have a dlink 604
router
but it does not seem to work when I set it up to go static with Pipex

I was with Pipex for 3 years (just left to go to Plus.net as I don't need
an
uncapped service and I'd rather pay less), and in all that time my IP
never
changed.

As per a recent post here, this is true if you are on the extreme1
realm. If you are on extreme2 or extreme3 your IP will change far more
often. I am on extreme3 and it changes every login...

Must have missed that post - I've only been reading posts here for the past
2 weeks reading up about alternatives to Pipex.

Even though I had a static IP (well, sticky at least) I still used Dyndns
just in case - and now I'm on Plus.net, I still have a static IP

Dan