ADSL on laptop

Old March 14th 05, 03:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Hutchinson

Default ADSL on laptop

Is it possible to get a PCMCIA ADSL modem ?

Old March 14th 05, 03:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Richard Hutchinson wrote:
Is it possible to get a PCMCIA ADSL modem ?

I don't know, but why not just plug it into a router with either an
Ethernet cable or wireless card..?

Ivor

Old March 14th 05, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grant

"Richard Hutchinson" wrote in message

Is it possible to get a PCMCIA ADSL modem ?

Pretty sure the answer is no.

ADSL router connected to wireless or wired PCMCIA network card is the usual
way.

Old March 14th 05, 04:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alex Heney

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:47:50 -0000, "Richard Hutchinson"
wrote:

Is it possible to get a PCMCIA ADSL modem ?

I don't think so, but there are plenty of USB ones around.

If your laptop doesn't have USB ports, then it is also possible to get
ethernet ADSL modems.

If you don't have either USB or ethernet capability, then you can
certainly get both USB and ethernet adapters for PCMCIA.

--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
It's not an optical illusion. It just looks like one.

Old March 14th 05, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Hutchinson

I have a single USB but it's being used, the laptop does however have an
Ethernet port so, like you suggested, I can use a router.

Is it possible to get a really compact one ?

Thanks...

Old March 14th 05, 07:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sean

Richard Hutchinson wrote:
I have a single USB but it's being used, the laptop does however have an
Ethernet port so, like you suggested, I can use a router.

Is it possible to get a really compact one ?

Thanks...

What are you using now?

You could just use a USB hub, to give you more USB sockets.
Old March 14th 05, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tiscali Tim

Richard Hutchinson wrote:

I have a single USB but it's being used, the laptop does however have
an Ethernet port so, like you suggested, I can use a router.

Is it possible to get a really compact one ?

Thanks...

None of them are *very* big - but you presumably won't be carrying it round
with your laptop - 'cos it will only work on your fixed phone/ADSL line. You
can usually find somewhere to hide a router if space is a problem.
--
Cheers,
Tim

Old March 15th 05, 08:51 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Richard Hutchinson wrote:
I have a single USB but it's being used, the laptop does however have an
Ethernet port so, like you suggested, I can use a router.

Is it possible to get a really compact one ?

Thanks...

Or as another poster suggested, get a USB hub. If you are wishing to
use very little space then a small powered hub and a USB modem would
work, but a wireless router hidden somewhere with a wireless lan card
in your laptop would be smaller/better. I assume you are only talking
about use in one location/building, since you couldn't take your ADSL
around with you

If so, then most router/modems are small these days.

--
Regards,
Danny

http://www.gaggia-espresso.com (a purely hobby site)
http://www.dannyscoffee.com (UK advert for my mobile espresso service)
http://www.malabargold.co.uk (UK/European online ordering for Malabar
Gold blend)
swap Z for above characters in email address to reply

Old March 15th 05, 04:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Hutchinson

What are you using now?

I was using one of those Alcatel 'frog' modems, until I needed the USB port
for a software dongle. It's just as well, because it was utter crap
(connecting at the wrong speed and always dropping the connection).

I'm really liking the idea of a wireless setup - think I'll go with that.

Old March 15th 05, 05:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Danny

Richard Hutchinson wrote:
What are you using now?

I was using one of those Alcatel 'frog' modems, until I needed the USB port
for a software dongle. It's just as well, because it was utter crap
(connecting at the wrong speed and always dropping the connection).

I'm really liking the idea of a wireless setup - think I'll go with that.

The Frog isn't that bad. The problem is usually chipsets that don't
provide enough current to the USB device. The frog is at the limit of
USB power consumption. Using a powered USB hub solves the problem
usually.

The wireless setup would be neater, and nothing attached to the laptop.