Best value ISP?

Old March 14th 05, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

Default Best value ISP?

Hi group,

Spent a few hellish years on Pipex. Been with NDO for exactly one year now
on 1MBit. Latency is an issue with this ISP (V.Slow to start downloads etc)
so looking at possible migration. I'm wanting:

2MBit connection if possible
Unlimited bandwidth (or at least a 30GB limit)
Min 2 email accounts
Newsgroup access
Don't care about P2P.

Also not bothered about getting a free modem etc etc as I already have the
equipment. One thing I would like is a 1 month contract.

Suggestions/experiences?

TIA,

Simon

Old March 14th 05, 08:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

Default TalkTalk?

Sorry to reply to own post but I've just seen this from TalkTalk (Yeah, I
know!)

20 x faster than dial-up (1MBit)
Unlimited downloads - as many movies, tunes etc as you like
You can always stay connected - no waiting!
You can be online and on the phone at the same time
No need for a second phone line - saves on line rental
One flat monthly internet bill - convenient online billing option is
available
Free modem
Easy do-it-yourself installation
5 free email addresses
15 Mb of web space - so you can build your own web site

£14.99/month including Talk1+ package (free weekend and evening landline
calls)

Not bad, if it's *UNLIMITED* as stated.

Any pro's/con's?

Simon

Old March 14th 05, 08:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Simon Ough" wrote in message
£14.99/month including Talk1+ package (free weekend and evening landline
calls)

Not bad, if it's *UNLIMITED* as stated.

1. Read the TalkTalk forum at http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ - I believe the
service is capped at either 30 or 50Gb a month (after which they chuck you
off) even though they call it "unlimited"

2. If you are not already a TalkTalk customer (telephone or broadband) and
are referred you both get £10

Regards
Sunil

Old March 14th 05, 11:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anton Gˇsen

Simon Ough wrote:
Hi group,

Spent a few hellish years on Pipex. Been with NDO for exactly one year now
on 1MBit. Latency is an issue with this ISP (V.Slow to start downloads etc)
so looking at possible migration.

I'm using 1 megabit NDO and have no latency issues, in fact my ping is
often the lowest on the server when I play a game of Counter Strike. And
downloads seem fine.
Old March 15th 05, 01:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin≤

Just a day or so ago someone here was desperate to get off Talk Talk BB
saying the response was pathetic.
Regards,
Martin

Old March 15th 05, 07:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"Martin≤" wrote in message
Just a day or so ago someone here was desperate to get off Talk Talk BB
saying the response was pathetic.

Fair enough - that's that one out of the way then!

Simon

Kernow Telecom - Cheap international calls
(India only 10p/min on 0871 570 8216), (USA, Europe
and Oz National rate on 0870 794 8303/0844 570 8303)
Email us for more rates and unlocking offers!
**Old website still going- http://kernow-telecom.co.uk**

Old March 15th 05, 01:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CheggersPop

Spent a few hellish years on Pipex. Been with NDO for exactly one year
now
on 1MBit. Latency is an issue with this ISP (V.Slow to start downloads
etc)
so looking at possible migration. I'm wanting:

2MBit connection if possible
Unlimited bandwidth (or at least a 30GB limit)
Min 2 email accounts
Newsgroup access
Don't care about P2P.

Also not bothered about getting a free modem etc etc as I already have
the
equipment. One thing I would like is a 1 month contract.

Suggestions/experiences?

TIA,

Simon

Zen

Seconded, been with Zen for over 5 months now! Had a couple of minor
teething problems, my fault not theirs which were sorted out over the phone
both in about 5 mins!

(".)

Old March 15th 05, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Stirling

Simon Ough wrote:
Hi group,

Spent a few hellish years on Pipex. Been with NDO for exactly one year now
on 1MBit. Latency is an issue with this ISP (V.Slow to start downloads etc)
so looking at possible migration. I'm wanting:

2MBit connection if possible
Unlimited bandwidth (or at least a 30GB limit)
Min 2 email accounts
Newsgroup access
Don't care about P2P.

Also not bothered about getting a free modem etc etc as I already have the
equipment. One thing I would like is a 1 month contract.

Suggestions/experiences?

Plusnet looks like a good match.
21.99/month.
In April (IIRC) all users are upgraded to 2Mbit even if you start out at
lower.
30GB limit, but 1AM-8AM does not count, and the 'cap' only comes in
if you go over the limit 3 months in a row. Then you get limited in speed
to IIRC 128K.

Unlimited email accounts.
Newsgroups - yes - with a 15GB cap, after which again it slows down.

There may be other ISPs that don't have a cap at the moment, but IMO,
with the ISP paying 85p/GB or so for bandwidth (based on the cost of a
portion of a BT central pipe) I suspect there may be more in the future.

There are other things that may be of use included in the account.
If this suits, and you choose plusnet eventually, I'd of course like you
to mention me 'mauve' as the referrer.
The referrer scheme gives you a small amount each month for every customer
you refer.
Old March 15th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Ough

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

There may be other ISPs that don't have a cap at the moment, but IMO,
with the ISP paying 85p/GB or so for bandwidth (based on the cost of a
portion of a BT central pipe) I suspect there may be more in the future.

There are other things that may be of use included in the account.
If this suits, and you choose plusnet eventually, I'd of course like you
to mention me 'mauve' as the referrer.
The referrer scheme gives you a small amount each month for every customer
you refer.

Thanks all,
I've just installed NetMeter, and I am going to see how much
standard bandwidth I consume in a week, and then multiply it by 4. If I fall
within the caps, then I'm laughing (and also, I'm off!). However, I am
amazed at how much bandwidth I consumed viewing a street webcam for a laugh
this morning - about 1GB for 1 hour (This bast*rd was streaming at
918k/sec!!!)

Not usual, but can demonstrate as an extreme that can catch you out.........

Simon