NTL confusion

Old March 14th 05, 09:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Smith

Default NTL confusion

Hi,

I'm interested in getting NTL broadband with the free offpeak calls. I
also want a package where I can download at least 1 GB a day.

http://www.home.ntl.com/icat/broadba...=ntlcom_bblink

According to the above URL I need the 2Mb package to get 1 GB a day
transfer. If I follow the URLs to the 21.99 unlimited off-peak calls
package I get to this page:

http://secure.ntlfreedom.com/bundled...bandUnltd.aspx

This tells me it's limited to 512Kb. I've phoned NTL and they tell me
I'm in an "NTL Freedom" area and I can only get 512Kb, but there is NO
cap. 512Kb is fine for me, but am I right in thinking I can download as
much as I want because it doesn't make much sense for me.

If I've done my maths right with a 512Kb (64 kilobytes p/sec) package I
can download just over 5 gig a day, thats 150 gig a month! Why do NTL
offer such a package when they would cap people paying the same price
but on NTL Home at 1 gig a day (30 gig a month)? Or am I missing
something?

Also, this page...

http://secure.ntlfreedom.com/htmlfiles/value_box.htm

....tells me I have a "3-2-1 call plan". When I look into this it
apparently costs 9.50 a month. So, do I get this free or do NTL slap
another 9.50 a month on my bill for me making it 32.49?

I'm quite confused and would be happy if someone could explain this to
me.

Many thanks.

Old March 15th 05, 11:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Richard Sobey

On 14 Mar 2005 13:39:00 -0800, "J Smith"
wrote:

I'm quite confused and would be happy if someone could explain this to
me.

I didn't read your post, but want to warn you against NTL now I've
just discovered that after cancelling Direct Debits with my current
bank they took money from an older bank account instead. I thought I'd
paid NTL all my dues so I'm not sure what they're playing at! Will
never use them again unless I *really* have to.
Old March 15th 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Informer

wrote:

I'm quite confused and would be happy if someone could explain this to
me.

I didn't read your post, but want to warn you against NTL now I've
just discovered that after cancelling Direct Debits with my current
bank they took money from an older bank account instead. I thought I'd
paid NTL all my dues so I'm not sure what they're playing at! Will
never use them again unless I *really* have to.

Have to agree. Once they have you they will never let go. Even featured on
BBC's Watchdog a few weeks back. An abysmal company and not cheap either.

Old March 15th 05, 01:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mark Carver

wrote:

I'm quite confused and would be happy if someone could explain this to
me.

I didn't read your post, but want to warn you against NTL now I've
just discovered that after cancelling Direct Debits with my current
bank they took money from an older bank account instead. I thought I'd
paid NTL all my dues so I'm not sure what they're playing at! Will
never use them again unless I *really* have to.

Have to agree. Once they have you they will never let go. Even featured on
BBC's Watchdog a few weeks back. An abysmal company and not cheap either.

Yes, see my post in here from a couple of weeks ago regarding my
Mother-in-Law's attempt to break free.

http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?q=...ual.net&rnum=5

Or:
http://tinyurl.com/4vy6h

She has finally managed (we *think* !) to escape their clutches, she
phoned again and they agreed to set her account to zero UKP.
She phoned again three days later simply quoting her acc number and
asking what her balance was, they replied 'zero'. But you never know for
sure as one of the respondents in that thread points out.
She phoned again three days later simply quoting her acc number and
asking what her balance was, they replied 'zero'.

A thoroughly despicable and evil organisation, obviously managed by
trashy incompetent idiots. Keep well away.

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply
Old March 15th 05, 05:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
J Smith

She has finally managed (we *think* !) to escape their clutches, she
phoned again and they agreed to set her account to zero UKP.
She phoned again three days later simply quoting her acc number and
asking what her balance was, they replied 'zero'. But you never know

for
sure as one of the respondents in that thread points out.
She phoned again three days later simply quoting her acc number and
asking what her balance was, they replied 'zero'.

A thoroughly despicable and evil organisation, obviously managed by
trashy incompetent idiots. Keep well away.

Is there any other providers that offer a deal as good as NTL's that
include a phone package. I think for 22 to get completly free phone
calls (landline off peak) and internet is a pretty good deal.

Old March 15th 05, 06:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:42:02 -0000, "informer"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I'm quite confused and would be happy if someone could explain this to
me.

I didn't read your post, but want to warn you against NTL now I've
just discovered that after cancelling Direct Debits with my current
bank they took money from an older bank account instead. I thought I'd
paid NTL all my dues so I'm not sure what they're playing at! Will
never use them again unless I *really* have to.

Have to agree. Once they have you they will never let go.

And hence why we pay them montly by cheque ;-)

When I fancied upgrading a while ago from 150k to 300k then said they
could only do it if we went DD .. we said forget it.

Two months later they upgraded us to 300k at no extra cost for 3
months and didn't make us go DD (go figure).

Fairly happy with the service for the last 5 years though ..

T i m