ADSL pre-orders

Old March 15th 05, 11:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Colin Mansell

Default ADSL pre-orders

Our local exchange is due to be activated on 11 May 2005. I have been
looking at the possibility of pre-ordering ADSL (will wait until
towards the end of April in view of the current turmoil in ADSL
pricing / packages).

However, in response to a query PlusNet said that although most ISPs
will accept pre-orders, no ISP can submit an order until the exchange
is active. So, there will be a 5 to 7 day wait after the exchange is
activated before the service will be provided.

Is the PlusNet statement correct? I do not see how this ties in with
the some of the postings in this group where people appear to have a
service on the day their exchange is activated.

Old March 15th 05, 11:45 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

I had to wait two weeks for my line to be activated, I complained to BT and
they said the date was chosen by my ISP, Metronet, they said they asked for
the earliest possible date.

I had put my pre-order in to Metronet six weeks before the exchange
activation date.

I wonder if it makes any difference if you choose BT as you ISP.

Roger

news

Old March 15th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:09:59 +0000, Colin Mansell uttered forth the
following...
Is the PlusNet statement correct? I do not see how this ties in with
the some of the postings in this group where people appear to have a
service on the day their exchange is activated.

My local exchange was enabled on the 2nd of July last year and I was up
and running by the 10th. This was with PlusNet.
Old March 15th 05, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Roger wrote:
I had to wait two weeks for my line to be activated, I complained
to BT and they said the date was chosen by my ISP, Metronet, they
said they asked for the earliest possible date.

I had put my pre-order in to Metronet six weeks before the exchange
activation date.

What's a "pre-order" - ?? If I go into a bookshop (say) and the book I
want isn't in stock, I order it. You order something that isn't available
and you get it when it is, so what's "pre" ordering..?

Ivor

Old March 15th 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Roger wrote:
I had to wait two weeks for my line to be activated, I complained
to BT and they said the date was chosen by my ISP, Metronet, they
said they asked for the earliest possible date.

I had put my pre-order in to Metronet six weeks before the exchange
activation date.

What's a "pre-order" - ?? If I go into a bookshop (say) and the book I
want isn't in stock, I order it. You order something that isn't available
and you get it when it is, so what's "pre" ordering..?

If you go into a bookshop and ask for a book that's not been published yet,
you are able to 'pre-order' it. Same applies for exchanges that do not have
ADSL capability, but are going to be upgraded.

I think most people would use 'order' for something that exists (whether it
is available or not; in stock / out of stock). 'Pre-order' would be used for
something that doesn't exist.

Old March 15th 05, 02:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Roger

Preorder \Pre*or"der\, v. t. To order to arrange beforehand; to
foreordain. --Sir W. Hamilton. [1913 Webster]

Source: The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.44

http://www.dictionary.net/preorder

lol

Old March 15th 05, 02:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sam Nelson

In article ,
"Grumps" writes:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Roger wrote:
I had to wait two weeks for my line to be activated, I complained
to BT and they said the date was chosen by my ISP, Metronet, they
said they asked for the earliest possible date.

I had put my pre-order in to Metronet six weeks before the exchange
activation date.

What's a "pre-order" - ?? If I go into a bookshop (say) and the book I
want isn't in stock, I order it. You order something that isn't available
and you get it when it is, so what's "pre" ordering..?

If you go into a bookshop and ask for a book that's not been published yet,
you are able to 'pre-order' it. Same applies for exchanges that do not have
ADSL capability, but are going to be upgraded.

I think most people would use 'order' for something that exists (whether it
is available or not; in stock / out of stock). 'Pre-order' would be used for
something that doesn't exist.

The fundamental difference between an `order' and a `pre-order' is that
something that's ordered definitely does exist, while something that's
pre-ordered doesn't exist yet, and indeed may never exist.
--
SAm. All sweeping generalisations are false
Old March 15th 05, 03:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
"Grumps" writes:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Roger wrote:
[...]

So why does WH Smith always have big signs in the window trying to get me
to "pre-order" the latest Harry Potter (or whatever) book..? Surely that
does exist, even if it's not in the shops or published yet..?

Ivor

Old March 15th 05, 04:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Grumps

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Sam Nelson wrote:
In article ,
"Grumps" writes:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
Roger wrote:
[...]

As soon as JKR has conned enough people into pre-ordering, then she'll go
and write it.