Supa(not)net optimized ?

Old March 15th 05, 04:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

Default Supa(not)net optimized ?

Hi All,

I was just trying to help a friend of a friend over the phone who it
sounds like had 'free internet access for 1 year' bundled with her
Tiny / Time machine (not a good start I know ..)

The free offer elapsed and she carried on PAYG but then it kept asking
her to sign up?

She then tried Tesco PAYG but can't complete the sign-up with them due
to summat left over with the Supanet settings ...?

She has spoken to Supanet CS and they said her PC was (or needed)
"OIptimizing' (or de-optimizing) ... WTF ?

She then re- imaged the thing with the restore CD, tried to sign up
with Tesco but still cant?

I hope to pop round there sometime soon to see if I can sort something
out for her but didn't know if I was about to open a can of worms?

Any thoughts / clues / ideas / warnings please?

All the best ..

T i m
Old March 15th 05, 05:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
sandman112

supanet on a tiny PC ...... nightmare ..... i had a mate with the same
problem ......

heres how it goes ... theres lots of info on the net about this

if you get a PC from tiny then you get a supanet DEAL with it by default,
the thing is that the MODEM in the PC is LOCKED to supanet and WILL NOT dial
any other ISP, if you google for supanet locked modem or supanet deoptimise
or something like that you will find lots of info on this

as far as i know there is a hack/reg-hack that you can do to DE optimise the
modem but its not the easiest thing to talk a non techie person thru on the
phone, i tried, if you call supanet/tiny then they will talk you thru it, i
think it might involve going online and downloading a file from supanet that
will DE optimise the modem

bloody stupid idea if you ask me but its something to do with a DEAL that
tiny and supanet worked out that give you a crappy modem

good luck

Old March 15th 05, 06:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Cummings

In message , T i m
writes
I was just trying to help a friend of a friend over the phone who it
sounds like had 'free internet access for 1 year' bundled with her
Tiny / Time machine (not a good start I know ..)

The free offer elapsed and she carried on PAYG but then it kept asking
her to sign up?

She then tried Tesco PAYG but can't complete the sign-up with them due
to summat left over with the Supanet settings ...?

[...]

Any thoughts / clues / ideas / warnings please?

Try downloading some generic Conexant HCF drivers from the Conexant
website.
Uninstall the device in Control Panel, reboot and, when the new hardware
is found point it at the generic Conexant HCF drivers.

I'm sure I've read somewhere that this works, but I'm sure I've also
read that it doesn't

Lots on google.
--
Ian Cummings
Old March 15th 05, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 17:58:16 GMT, "sandman112"
wrote:

supanet on a tiny PC ...... nightmare ..... i had a mate with the same
problem ......

heres how it goes ... theres lots of info on the net about this

Ok, and know I know there *IS* an issue I don't mind also haveing a
Google about ;-)

if you get a PC from tiny then you get a supanet DEAL with it by default,
the thing is that the MODEM in the PC is LOCKED to supanet and WILL NOT dial
any other ISP, if you google for supanet locked modem or supanet deoptimise
or something like that you will find lots of info on this

[T] Ah, so the friends friend was on the right track then ..

as far as i know there is a hack/reg-hack that you can do to DE optimise the
modem but its not the easiest thing to talk a non techie person thru on the
phone, i tried, if you call supanet/tiny then they will talk you thru it, i
think it might involve going online and downloading a file from supanet that
will DE optimise the modem

[T] So is it a special modem or is the driver just hacked I wonder?

bloody stupid idea if you ask me but its something to do with a DEAL that
tiny and supanet worked out that give you a crappy modem

[T] Probably a software modem at that .. might fit a hardware one for
them and therefore juet 'clean' drivers by default?

good luck

[T] Cheers .. fore armed is fore warned as they say ;-)

T i m

Old March 15th 05, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 18:01:14 +0000 (UTC), Ian Cummings
wrote:

Any thoughts / clues / ideas / warnings please?

Try downloading some generic Conexant HCF drivers from the Conexant
website.

Ok .. might have some already on my pen drive ;-)

Uninstall the device in Control Panel, reboot and, when the new hardware
is found point it at the generic Conexant HCF drivers.

Understood

I'm sure I've read somewhere that this works, but I'm sure I've also
read that it doesn't

Doh!

Lots on google.

As mentioned .. now I know what I'm looking for .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Old March 15th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
AMO

"T i m" wrote in message
[...]

The best way forward is to chuck the free modem card and pay 10 for a cheap
modem card and get it installed.

Do not go down the de-optimize route. It will cost you an arm and a leg and
no end of grief.

You can totally reformat your PC and reinstall the machine with the
Conextant generic drivers. The problem with this is that these drivers do
not 'fit' exactly and when Windows detects another set of more suitable
drivers, it will overwrite your existing generic drivers and render the
modem useless again the next time you reboot your machine. Some people
don't experience this problem and therefore say that the generic drivers
work okay. Others have bought a Conextant-based modem, installed it and
found that afterwards the Time modem works fine as well without
de-optimising.

However, overall, I have found that to avoid grief, the best way is to
simply buy a cheap modem card and replace the one that is there.

AMO

Old March 16th 05, 01:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 22:40:09 -0000, "AMO"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .

The best way forward is to chuck the free modem card and pay 10 for a cheap
modem card and get it installed.

Ok, that was one of my thoughts anyway .. stick a hardware modem in
there ..

Do not go down the de-optimize route. It will cost you an arm and a leg and
no end of grief.

How will it cost?

You can totally reformat your PC and reinstall the machine with the
Conextant generic drivers. The problem with this is that these drivers do
not 'fit' exactly and when Windows detects another set of more suitable
drivers, it will overwrite your existing generic drivers and render the
modem useless again the next time you reboot your machine.

I know what you mean .. sometimes similar with onboard video and
adding an extra video card .. ;-(

Some people
don't experience this problem and therefore say that the generic drivers
work okay. Others have bought a Conextant-based modem, installed it and
found that afterwards the Time modem works fine as well without
de-optimising.

Ok .. I think the technique would be to uninstall the drivers, delete
any .inf files that relate to the modem and make sure you point it to
YOUR drivers when it reboots.

However, overall, I have found that to avoid grief, the best way is to
simply buy a cheap modem card and replace the one that is there.

Fair point .. and probably easier in the long run ..

Cheers fella ..;-)

T i m

Old March 16th 05, 01:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
T i m

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 20:02:20 -0000, Rolyat
wrote:

The registry is 'locked' to the Supanet settings.

Try this (at your own risk)

1) Use Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PDCR4032

2) In the right hand pane, you should see a list of entries:
Default, Band0, Band1 etc.

3) Rename the Bandn entries to (say) Old0, Old1, Old2 etc. Do not
change the default entry.

4) Exit Regedit.

And if it all screws up (I'm farly comfortable in the registry) I can
either go back to my saved one (or saved branch) or re image the
machine from the rescue disk .. ;-)

Found via a Google search .... ;-)

I found the de-optimizer prog that way too (and have little to loose
by trying it as above)

All the best ..

T i m