BT Broadband Basic Help

Old March 16th 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default BT Broadband Basic Help

Help,

My father mistakenly ordered BT broadband basic and is now locked into
a 12 month contract, he wanted to use a wireless router so he can use
his new wireless laptop. We have since foud out that it will not work
with the basi package. Is there a way of geeting it to work with a
router and not use the modem supplied by BT. The only other option is
to upgrade to the next package which he does not want to pay for as he
will only be a very light user.
Thanks Gary

Old March 16th 05, 11:18 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article .com,
says...
Help,

My father mistakenly ordered BT broadband basic and is now locked into
a 12 month contract, he wanted to use a wireless router so he can use
his new wireless laptop. We have since foud out that it will not work
with the basi package. Is there a way of geeting it to work with a
router and not use the modem supplied by BT. The only other option is
to upgrade to the next package which he does not want to pay for as he
will only be a very light user.
Thanks Gary

no reason at all. I have a friend using exactly that setup.

www.btofaq.net is always worth a look for tips

FR
Old March 16th 05, 12:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Paul D.Smith

I guess you got a free USB modem. If so, you need a modem/router/wireless
access point such as the Netgear DG384G.

But first, figure out what your father's laptop is capable of. If it can't
handle 802.11g, you may be able to save money finding a 802.11b-only capable
package.

BTW, do switch on all the security you can (MAC checking, WPA-PSK if
possible etc, hide SSID) to stop both serious hackers (unlikely) and people
piggy-backing off your connection (more likely!).

Paul DS.