ZEN authentication problems

Old March 16th 05, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Phil Long

Default ZEN authentication problems

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 10:43:30 +0000, (Peter) wrote:

I have signed up with Zen and presently I am using their dial-up
facility because I can't get the ADSL modem working.

It was working previously with another ISP, and has its own BT line
which works. The ADSL modem is a D-link 300G which worked fine before
with the previous ISP.

It is reporting "Auth. failure". The tech support man at Zen says he
cannot see a problem on the line, but that he cannot see my modem
trying to connect. Because of the wait on their tech supp phone line
(45 mins or so) I can't usually call them from home where the system
is; I can do it only by leaving the phone hands-free at work!!

First of all, we've not had a call queue above 16 minutes today. That
was one single call in the queue for 16 minutes and such a long wait
time is high above what it's been for some time (there has been a
fault, unrelated to ADSL, hence the higher-than-average queue). The
current wait is 1 minute 30 seconds. I just felt it important to
correct this exaggeration of our call queue length.

I understand that ADSL authentication involves several steps along the
line to the ISP. It's probably failing at one of these. The ZEN man
says the problem is probably at my end and that he could report it to
BT but they will charge if it isn't a BT problem.

What happens when you attempt to login using: [email protected]_domain ?
Obvioulsy you can't provide details of your account in this group, so
I don't know what diagnostics have already been conducted - but with
login issues this is one of the most basic checks to ensure your modem
is configured correctly.

The previous ISP didn't acknowledge requests to get off the line (they
are in a total mess as far as I can tell), so I did it by asking BT to
change the phone number! Perhaps this is a part of the problem; the
previous ISP still "owning" a part of the line to Zen?

If you've ordered Zen on a different number, but nothing physical has
changed, there is a chance that the provisioning process hasn't worked
correctly. Do your old ISP details still work?

If you don't have time to call Technical Support then perhaps it would
be worth e-mailing instead?

regards,
Phil D.Long
Team Leader - Second Line Technical Support
Zen Internet Ltd.
W:
www.zensupport.co.uk
Old March 16th 05, 12:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Everyone speaks highly of Zen which I why I went there, and this sort
of response is a very good sign.

What happens when you attempt to login using: [email protected]_domain ?

What password should I use? You can email me - my address in at the
bottom.

Any password should work - I usually use 'test'

James
Old March 16th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
CGA

"Peter" wrote in message
An update:

I telephoned the original ISP (Clara) and finally got some sense as to
what's going on, though the man refused to give any real details.

He said that if one asks Clara to terminate an ADSL account which has
say a 1 year notice on it, Clara has the right to prevent BT allowing
another ISP on that BT line, until the notice period expires.

He said that Clara don't exercise this right; however they require the
customer to pay off the remainder of the notice period before they
send the message to BT to release the line so another ISP can go on
it.

So, despite multiple requests from me which have not been acknowledged
to get off the line, Clara have not yet asked BT to do it.

I had called BT some weeks ago and they said that they cannot remove
an ISP from a line unless the ISP has gone into liquidation. They said
that all I can do is close that line and install another one - with
the setup cost that entails. I suggested that they simply change the
number; they said that should also do it. So this was done.

But it could be that Clara are still holding onto some part of the
phone line further back. I am now expecting a call from their accounts
dept tomorrow (or when they get around to it; this has now been
running for weeks) which will state that they need a cheque for
25/month until November 2005 before they will get off the line...

There is a lesson to be learnt here (apart from the obvious one as to
which ISP to avoid!!) and that is to not sign any ADSL contract which
has such a notice period!! The penalty of getting rid of an ISP could
be the full installation cost of a BT line - 150 or so.

Zen have dealt with this very well, I think. I just hope that BT
manage to sort out the mess.

Peter.

Do you really mean notice period, or do you actually mean that you signed a
1year contract & now you're trying to get out of it early?

If this is the case then it probably says in the terms & conditions you
signed up to, that they reserve the right to charge you the full years
contract cost to release the line early.

Old March 18th 05, 07:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Reg Edwards

I've just had a similar experience to the original poster, which to
cut a very long story short has taken me about 50 days to get my

ADSL
line back

=============================

What makes you think YOU got it back?
It came back the same way as it went - by accident.

Old March 21st 05, 09:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Peter" wrote in message
The penalty of getting rid of an ISP could
be the full installation cost of a BT line - 150 or so.

74.99 for a residential line or 116.33 for a business one (both prices
include VAT)

Regards
Sunil