Keeping BTY email after migration

Old March 16th 05, 04:43 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Gary Jones

Default Keeping BTY email after migration

I'm migrating my account from BTY to Nildram and ideally would like to keep
my BTY email account, I would be grateful if anyone else has done this and
how to go about it.

Old March 16th 05, 05:08 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Gary Jones wrote:
I'm migrating my account from BTY to Nildram and ideally would like
to keep my BTY email account, I would be grateful if anyone else
has done this and how to go about it.

Why bother..? Just set up a free account at www.despammed.com and point it
to any address you like. You can change the destination as often as you
like plus you get excellent anti-spam filtering as well.

Ivor

Old March 16th 05, 06:31 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Steve

I think your misisng the point here of what the OP wanted. Nothing wrong
with despammed that I can see, but if the OP wanted to keep his BTY address
(to save the hassle of telling everyone and reregistering with website that
have the BTY address) then signing up to despammed wouldnt help!

Old March 16th 05, 06:35 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Steve wrote:
I think your misisng the point here of what the OP wanted. Nothing
wrong with despammed that I can see, but if the OP wanted to keep
his BTY address (to save the hassle of telling everyone and
reregistering with website that have the BTY address) then signing
up to despammed wouldnt help!

I didn't miss the point, I know exactly what the OP wanted, but I was
suggesting a once and for all workround. An address independent of any ISP
will forever remove the need to advise people when a change of ISP
happens. It will be necessary this time, but never again.

Ivor

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old March 16th 05, 07:42 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Ivor Jones
writes
Gary Jones wrote:
I'm migrating my account from BTY to Nildram and ideally would like
to keep my BTY email account, I would be grateful if anyone else
has done this and how to go about it.

Why bother..?

Probably because everybody knows to send an email to his BTY address if
they want him to read it!

Just set up a free account at www.despammed.com and point it
to any address you like. You can change the destination as often as you
like plus you get excellent anti-spam filtering as well.

Sounds good.
For the OP, just downgrade your BTY account to payg. You only have to
log in by old fashioned modem once every 3 months or so. I make that a
cost of 20p per year. Worth it IMHO.
If you haven't got an old fashioned modem, and I think it's worth having
one to send and receive faxes and as back up, I think you can log in and
retrieve your account every so often if it has been cancelled.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 16th 05, 07:46 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Ivor Jones
writes
It will be necessary this time, but never again.

I'd be very surprised if they are still around in 5 years or so.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 16th 05, 07:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martyn Dewar

Gary Jones wrote:
I'm migrating my account from BTY to Nildram and ideally would like to keep
my BTY email account, I would be grateful if anyone else has done this and
how to go about it.

The official stance from BTopenwound/Yahoo! is that you need to convert
your account to one of their "Mail" accounts (see
http://www.btyahoo.com/mail). If you want to retain POP3 access, they
charge 1.50/month for that (payable by visa / mastercard or Direct Debit).

Others have reported that simply downgrading to "Pay As You Go (PAYG)"
will allow you to keep your accounts, however you will need to dial in
for a few minutes every month or so to keep your account active.

hth.
Old March 16th 05, 08:25 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
TP

For the OP, just downgrade your BTY account to payg. You only have to log
in by old fashioned modem once every 3 months or so. I make that a cost of
20p per year. Worth it IMHO.

Alternatively (slightly more expensive than the above, but no need to
dial-up every so often), you can downgrade to BT Premium Mail - 1.50/month.

I did it - reasonably hassle-free.. though it was a couple of phone calls
(one to cancel the ISP access billed via the phone bill, one to sign-up for
the mail service and give bank details). I made sure both operators
understood I wanted the same mail account to remain active, and they
obliged.

As I'd gone for a no-frills broadband ISP without email, I was no worse off.
And I rate BT's mail service very highly, not least for its anti-spam which
is virtually 90pc effective for me.

Shame their BB offering is so expensive, but can't have everything, eh?!

Old March 16th 05, 10:45 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

pete devlin wrote:
In message , Ivor Jones
writes
It will be necessary this time, but never again.

I'd be very surprised if they are still around in 5 years or so.

^^^
Who..? If you mean despammed, why..?

Ivor

Old March 16th 05, 11:51 PM posted to btopenworld.broadband.support,uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Ivor Jones
writes
pete devlin wrote:
In message , Ivor Jones
writes
It will be necessary this time, but never again.

I'd be very surprised if they are still around in 5 years or so.

^^^
Who..? If you mean despammed, why..?

Where is their money coming from? Oh by spamming your emails with
advertising. Not the kind of service I'll be using. They just happen to
mention in their FAQ that a subscription service is coming. What a
shock.
All proper ISPs have anti spam filters nowadays so they do not really
cover a niche that people would be prepared to pay for. What they do do,
ie the forwarding isn't going to attract paying customers unless they
introduce pop3 and smtp and there is plenty of cheap competition in that
area.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"