Speedtouch 330 installation problem

Old March 16th 05, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolyat

Default Speedtouch 330 installation problem

OS is Windows XP Home, on a Time PC.

I am trying to install a ST 330 USB modem for someone, but the
installation fails when plugging the modem in.

The Speedtouch logo in the system tray reports "modem not plugged in"
when the mouse is hovered over it, although the USB and Sync lights are
both solid green on the modem.

Checking 'Device Manager' results in seeing an exclamation mark by
"Speedtouch Networking Support" .... updating drivers and pointing the
install to the install files leads nowhere as the files aren't found.

I did manage to get something occurring by way of files being installed
for the networking element, but when it completes, there is an immediate
reboot of the system, whereafter a "serious error" recovery message is
shown.

I suspect it's something Windows related, as opposed to something
Speedtouch, in that there is an issue with Windows 'talking' to the
modem.

I recently 'unlocked' the modem from being Supanet specific, but I can't
see if this would affect a USB modem?

I haven't yet Googled, but will be doing so, although in the interim, if
anyone can throw some light, I'd appreciate it.
Old March 16th 05, 07:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dennis

Rolyat wrote:
[...]

Did you install the software before plugging in the modem?
Old March 16th 05, 07:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Rolyat wrote:
[...]

The software needs installing before you plug the modem into the
computer. If you've plugged the modem in first and are then trying to
install drivers and software then it is likely to fail as you describe.

I'd un-plug the modem, and at the very least I'd power down and up again
after a short while. Then re-boot the computer, uninstall anything
relating to the modem you can find in Control Panel / Add/Remove,
re-boot the computer again, install the software, then follow
instructions to plug in etc.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old March 16th 05, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Black Shuck

Rolyat got up from the bar and shouted: :
In article ,
says...

[...]

The software needs installing before you plug the modem into the
computer.

I should've mentioned, i've done all that, and more besides. I've
installed more USB modems than most folk will ever do in a lifetime, so
I know the usual routine.

But this one is being a beetch.

Throw it in the bin and tell the guy go buy a ADSL Modem/router, they
start at a massive 21. I has similar troubles with a few USB modems,
speedtouch being one of them (binatone 500 being the other), it would
work a treat (as well as USB modems work...) on my desktop, but refused
to work on another, even with a clean install of XPSP2. In the end I
put it down to USB chipset incompatibilities, the chipset in question
was a VIA one (82xxx). Got the guy a el-cheapo router, and it worked
straight away.

Background...

The main problem with the USB modems, is they draw very close (or over)
the 500ma allowed on a USB hub, and XP shuts the controller down in this
overcurrent situation (Win2k and 98 never implemented the over-current
checks), many many manufacturers got burnt by Microsofts decision to
implement overcurrent checking in the USB stack, and ended up with loads
of chipsets that did not work very well on MS's latest and greatest OS,
all through no fault of Microsoft. Guees who bought these wharehouse
full of USB modems, and gave them free to punters, yep ISPs....

--
Lite-On DVD Recorder User Forums
http://www.liteonusers.org.uk