Firewall

Old March 16th 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

Default Firewall

Whenever the subject of Firewalls appears, then there is a flood of messages on how good this, and
any another "Free" software product is, and maybe they are the best thing since sliced bread. But
if one wishes to **buy** a hardware or software solution what is there out there for the domestic
user? In this context I am thinking particularly of cable modem users.

David Bradley
Old March 16th 05, 10:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ronny

"David Bradley" wrote in message
Whenever the subject of Firewalls appears, then there is a flood of

messages on how good this, and
any another "Free" software product is, and maybe they are the best thing

since sliced bread. But
if one wishes to **buy** a hardware or software solution what is there out

there for the domestic
user? In this context I am thinking particularly of cable modem users.

David Bradley

The best firewall there is money cant buy, it's you!!

Windows updates + DUMETER + Netstat + good AV is all you need, and the
ability to not click "yes" to every box that pops up. )

Ronny

Old March 16th 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
(David Bradley) wrote:

But
if one wishes to **buy** a hardware or software solution what is there
out there for the domestic
user?

Firebrick -
www.firebrick.co.uk

--
Paul Cummins, Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981
Old March 17th 05, 06:22 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:00:15 +0000, David Bradley wrote:

Whenever the subject of Firewalls appears, then there is a flood of
messages on how good this, and any another "Free" software product is, and
maybe they are the best thing since sliced bread. But if one wishes to
**buy** a hardware or software solution what is there out there for the
domestic user? In this context I am thinking particularly of cable modem
users.

David Bradley

Cheap pc and Linux

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old March 17th 05, 07:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Dave Stanton wrote:
On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 21:00:15 +0000, David Bradley wrote:

Whenever the subject of Firewalls appears, then there is a flood of
messages on how good this, and any another "Free" software product is, and
maybe they are the best thing since sliced bread. But if one wishes to
**buy** a hardware or software solution what is there out there for the
domestic user? In this context I am thinking particularly of cable modem
users.

David Bradley

Cheap pc and Linux

Dave

cheap pc (even a 486) with 2x NIC and smoothwall

http://www.smoothwall.org/
Old March 17th 05, 08:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 06:22:20 UTC, Dave Stanton wrote:

Whenever the subject of Firewalls appears, then there is a flood of
messages on how good this, and any another "Free" software product is, and
maybe they are the best thing since sliced bread. But if one wishes to
**buy** a hardware or software solution what is there out there for the
domestic user? In this context I am thinking particularly of cable modem
users.

Cheap pc and Linux

Or, if you want a real UNIX: cheap PC and FreeBSD!

Old March 17th 05, 01:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , Dave Stanton
says...

Cheap pc and Linux

Oh dear. An unpatched Linux box only takes 30 seconds longer to p0wn
than a Windows box.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Old March 17th 05, 02:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Anthony Edwards

wrote:
Whenever the subject of Firewalls appears, then there is a flood of messages on how good this, and
any another "Free" software product is, and maybe they are the best thing since sliced bread. But
if one wishes to **buy** a hardware or software solution what is there out there for the domestic
user?

I use and recommend:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...031/index.html

--
Anthony Edwards
easynet Ltd - Manchester

Old March 17th 05, 04:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sean

On the Wed, 16 Mar 2005 22:13:47 -0000, Ronny uttered forth the
following...
The best firewall there is money cant buy, it's you!!

Windows updates + DUMETER + Netstat + good AV is all you need, and the
ability to not click "yes" to every box that pops up. )

Ye right... a firewall doesn't only protect you but others as well.

Old March 17th 05, 06:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:31:42 +0000, Conor wrote:

In article , Dave Stanton
says...

Cheap pc and Linux

Oh dear. An unpatched Linux box only takes 30 seconds longer to p0wn than
a Windows box.

And your point or do you just like making silly statements

DAve

again
in the future!!