Force9 unlimited broadband- announced tonight

Old March 16th 05, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nat Stott

Default Force9 unlimited broadband- announced tonight

Because no download limits or fair usage levels are applicable, some high
bandwidth activities (such as p2p) will be speed restricted during busy
times. This is great news for customers who simply surf and email, as these
activities are to be given the highest priority on Broadband Plus.

Customers will pay for the speed setting they choose, which could be
anything up to 8Mb as those speeds become available later in the year. 1Mb
for under 20 per month, with no fair usage limit, will be a real bargain
for average family users.

Speed | Price
-----------------------------
512Kb - 14.99 (Inc Vat)
1Mb - 19.99 (Inc Vat)
2Mb - 24.99 (Inc Vat)
Up to 8Mb - TBC

Old March 16th 05, 10:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rolyat

In article ,
lid says...

Because no download limits or fair usage levels are applicable ...

....Plusnet will deny this is an "unlimited" ADSL package.
Old March 17th 05, 12:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Five Rounds Rapid

"Rolyat" wrote in message
In article ,
lid says...

Because no download limits or fair usage levels are applicable ...

...Plusnet will deny this is an "unlimited" ADSL package.

Plusnet are the very spawn of Satan.

Old March 17th 05, 01:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Nat Stott" wrote in message
Because no download limits or fair usage levels are applicable, some high
bandwidth activities (such as p2p) will be speed restricted during busy
times. This is great news for customers who simply surf and email, as
these
activities are to be given the highest priority on Broadband Plus.

Customers will pay for the speed setting they choose, which could be
anything up to 8Mb as those speeds become available later in the year. 1Mb
for under 20 per month, with no fair usage limit, will be a real bargain
for average family users.

Speed | Price
-----------------------------
512Kb - 14.99 (Inc Vat)
1Mb - 19.99 (Inc Vat)
2Mb - 24.99 (Inc Vat)
Up to 8Mb - TBC

PlusNet's / Force9's charging structure intrigues me: if you opt for a 1GB
capped tariff ("Lite") you pay the same price for 512K, 1M and 2M; but if
you opt for the "unlimited" tariff you pay extra for a faster connection.
I'd expect either the same price (higher than for 1GB) for all three speeds
of "unlimited" or else I'd expect the prices of Lite to vary with speed.

How are ISPs charged by BT for their customers' connections? These days, do
they have to pay according to speed, bandwidth or a combination of the two?

Old March 17th 05, 01:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:09:04 -0000, Martin Underwood
wrote:

"Nat Stott" wrote in message
[...]

Hi,

Under CBC we pay BT the same cost for the port of the exchange regardless
of what speed the customer chooses. The wholesale cost is 8.40 whether
it's 512kbps, 1Mbps or 2Mbps (on IPStream Home).

The big cost comes from the central pipes (about 1.5 million per year for
a 622Mbps pipe), meaning that the more bandwidth your customers use the
more pipes you need and hence the higher the costs per customer.

This means for us on the Lite account where you pay per GB it doesn't
really matter what speed you are on, because the cost to us is exactly the
same. The signup to the Lite product will shortly be changed so that all
customers get 2Mbps by default and only get lower than that if their line
can't support it. Those Lite customers currently on 512 and 1Mbps will be
regraded for free to 2Mbps per possible from April, completing for all by
the end of June.

Similarly the signup to Premier will change again so that you sign up for
2Mbps by default and again, only get 512 and 1Mbps if your line can't
support it. Instead you'll get the choice of the different fair usage
thresholds. As with Lite those customers where possible will be regraded
to 2Mbps from April.

Broadband Plus sits in the middle of these, we provision the line as fast
as possible, but limit the speed depending on which package you choose. A
change in speed on Broadband Plus can then be done without a BT regrade.
The key thing to remember is that Broadband Plus won't be marketed as
"unlimited", instead the product is designed with the vast majority of
today's Internet users in mind and isn't product that will be suitable for
the customers that want to download large amounts.

With Regards,

Dave,
Old March 17th 05, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:09:04 -0000, Martin Underwood
wrote:

Speed | Price
-----------------------------
[...]

Thanks for that excellent explanation.

One other question: if I submit a request today to upgrade my Force9 account
from dial-up to broadband and the exchange is due to be enabled in the
middle of April (the date that BT quote for the exchange), will my request
sit in the queue until mid-April and then get actioned on the appropriate
date, or will I need to re-submit the upgrade request nearer the time? I
presume my access to the freephone 0808 number will only be withdrawn when
the line has actually been enabled for broadband.

Old March 17th 05, 04:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
PlusNet Support Team

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:56:09 -0000, Martin Underwood
wrote:

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:09:04 -0000, Martin Underwood
wrote:

Speed | Price
-----------------------------
[...]

If you put the request in now it just sits there until the exchange ready
date. We'll place the order ourselves on this date.

You'd keep the 0808 access until the broadband is activated.

If you're interested in Broadband Plus then I would suggest waiting until
nearer the exchange ready date because it isn't available to signup up to
yet.

Old March 17th 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nat Stott

Broadband Plus sits in the middle of these, we provision the line as fast
as possible, but limit the speed depending on which package you choose. A
change in speed on Broadband Plus can then be done without a BT regrade.
The key thing to remember is that Broadband Plus won't be marketed as
"unlimited", instead the product is designed with the vast majority of
today's Internet users in mind and isn't product that will be suitable for
the customers that want to download large amounts.

So which product would be better for customers who download large amounts?

BB Plus- No dl limit:
512Kb - 14.99 (Inc Vat)
1Mb - 19.99 (Inc Vat)
2Mb - 24.99 (Inc Vat)
Up to 8Mb - TBC

or broadband premier, with limits:

21.99 30GB
29.99 50GB
39.99 75GB
49.99 100GB
59.99 125GB

Given that most of us will only be able to get 2Mb/s, we can pay 29.99 for
50GB or 24.99 for unlimited GB.

As I only download a few Gig a month myself, I'm not really bothered, but
the pricing structure is strange.

As I currently pay 21.99/month for 512K, shouldn't I have the choice to stay
on same speed, for 14.99, without paying an upgrade fee?