How does UK BB prices compare with Europe?

Old March 17th 05, 05:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
BIGEYE

Default How does UK BB prices compare with Europe?

Interested to know if we are being ripped off as much on BB prices here in
the UK like we are with most other things.
Also, why does this government promote BB in such a big way when it looks
like ISP's are returning to a metering system. Surely this will discourage
the use of BB due to ridiculously high prices being charged by ISP's.
Is this a money making exercise? Are we paying up front for the
infrastructure for faster BB services, just as the railways did. Put the
fares up first and then (maybe) we will fix the rail network.

Old March 17th 05, 05:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

BIGEYE wrote:
Interested to know if we are being ripped off as much on BB prices here in
the UK like we are with most other things.

If I compare Broadband prices on three services I have in the UK, France
and Spain - the Spanish one costs twice what I pay in the UK (for a qtr
of the speed but no cap) and the French one costs about 50% more than
the UK one (half the UK speed and no cap). The upload speed of the
French and Spanish services is half the UK upload speed.

Also, why does this government promote BB in such a big way when it looks
like ISP's are returning to a metering system.

Does the Government actually promote BB?
Old March 17th 05, 06:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Simpsons

"Hiram Hackenbacker" wrote in message
BIGEYE wrote:
Interested to know if we are being ripped off as much on BB prices here
in the UK like we are with most other things.

If I compare Broadband prices on three services I have in the UK, France
and Spain - the Spanish one costs twice what I pay in the UK (for a qtr of
the speed but no cap) and the French one costs about 50% more than the UK
one (half the UK speed and no cap). The upload speed of the French and
Spanish services is half the UK upload speed.

Also, why does this government promote BB in such a big way when it looks
like ISP's are returning to a metering system.

Does the Government actually promote BB?

Just entered ("tony blair" broadband) on google which resulted in 63,800
hits.
So he is certainly talking about it!

Old March 17th 05, 07:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Christopher Lee

"BIGEYE" wrote in message
Interested to know if we are being ripped off as much on BB prices here in
the UK like we are with most other things.
Also, why does this government promote BB in such a big way when it looks
like ISP's are returning to a metering system. Surely this will discourage
the use of BB due to ridiculously high prices being charged by ISP's.
Is this a money making exercise? Are we paying up front for the
infrastructure for faster BB services, just as the railways did. Put the
fares up first and then (maybe) we will fix the rail network.

I was in Lille a couple of weeks ago. There were lots of adverts for
Broadband from 'Alice'. ( there is a website if you are interested. Address
is obvious) 8Mb, no cap, free telephone calls to geographical numbers in
France.1 euro per day (ie 21 per month).

We are being ripped off, as usual by BT.

Oftel used to mostly do what BT told them with only occasional slaps on the
wrist. Ofcom don't even seem to know that BT exist if the current behaviour
of BT is anything to go by.

For BB to be a success it must be faster and without silly low caps. To
expect Tony Blair and this government to understand anything as complicated
as that is expecting rather a lot.

Chris

Old March 17th 05, 07:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Alan LeHun

In article , says...

I was in Lille a couple of weeks ago. There were lots of adverts for
Broadband from 'Alice'. ( there is a website if you are interested. Address
is obvious) 8Mb, no cap, free telephone calls to geographical numbers in
France.1 euro per day (ie 21 per month).

Due you have any net sources for this. Afaik, this service is ppMb, and
highly contended.

The national operator offers all you can eat 512Kb for 30 Euros.

We are being ripped off, as usual by BT.

Not quite true. The reason for the dramatic drop in pricing in France
over the past two years (and a doubling of broadband users in the past
year) is due to the governments subsidising local loop unbundling.

It is probably true to say that BT would covertly oppose any similar
scheme from parliament.

It is also probably true to say that our Government could learn a lot
from the French on how to promote dsl to the public.

Oftel used to mostly do what BT told them with only occasional slaps on the
wrist. Ofcom don't even seem to know that BT exist if the current behaviour
of BT is anything to go by.

For BB to be a success it must be faster and without silly low caps. To
expect Tony Blair and this government to understand anything as complicated
as that is expecting rather a lot.

Caps have got nothing to do with government. If people are willing to
buy low bandwidth/low cost solutions then the industry will offer low
bandwidth/low cost solutions.

The caps that we see being put in place are there purely because people
are unwilling to pay for truly unlimited access.

--
Alan LeHun
Old March 17th 05, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
The Caretaker

Alan LeHun wrote:

Caps have got nothing to do with government. If people are willing to
buy low bandwidth/low cost solutions then the industry will offer low
bandwidth/low cost solutions.

The caps that we see being put in place are there purely because people
are unwilling to pay for truly unlimited access.

The other side to that is that many people think a 512k downstream adn
256 up is fine for their needs. We only have a 512 link, and for what
we do it's great. We don't use it for work, at most there's three of us
on at once with few overheads, as I mostly surf and usenet, the kids
mostly surf and play games. If any of us want a particular film or
large file we wait until late evening and download in batches overnight
so we don't 'waste' our own on-line time or bandwidth.

Low cost/low bandwidth solutions are a great solution to making the
internet work well for our needs.

I can think of three times in the last six months when I thought an 8
meg connection would be good. Not a cost-effective solution for us at all.

To all intents and purposes our connection is unlimited, (ntl freedom
unlimted package) simply because we never need great bandwidth anyway.

--
The Caretaker .........
Old March 17th 05, 08:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Chris

In article , says...

http://offres.aliceadsl.fr/alice/ep/...amId=536891245

Old March 17th 05, 09:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

The Simpsons wrote:

Also, why does this government promote BB in such a big way when it looks
like ISP's are returning to a metering system.

Does the Government actually promote BB?

Just entered ("tony blair" broadband) on google which resulted in 63,800
hits.
So he is certainly talking about it!

Just entered ("tony blair" ****) on google which resulted in 81,700
hits. He's certainly talking something.

Old March 17th 05, 11:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter Hayward

The Simpsons wrote:

Also, why does this government promote BB in such a big way when it

looks
like ISP's are returning to a metering system.

Does the Government actually promote BB?

Just entered ("tony blair" broadband) on google which resulted in 63,800
hits.
So he is certainly talking about it!

Just entered ("tony blair" ****) on google which resulted in 81,700
hits. He's certainly talking something.

Just entered *uckwit on google and got john prescott

Old March 18th 05, 02:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
ego

here in Turkey 256/64K ADSL connection costs
about 30 euro and I think it's very expensive when I
compare with other EU countries.
But next month we will able to get 512/128K connection
for 30 euro. But I wanna 4M+ connection due to P2P