Bulldog ADSL - How many people get 4mb/s

Old March 17th 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default Bulldog ADSL - How many people get 4mb/s

As far as I understand it the maximum speed you can get for ADSL depends
on the quality of the phoneline and distance from the exchange

When Bulldog comes to your exchange do they do something special which
increases a person's ability to get faster speeds?

My decibel figures from my ADSL router currently on pipex 512 kb/s
suggest the most I can get is 1 mb/s cos of line quality / distance
issue - will a move to Bulldog improve that?
Old March 17th 05, 10:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Dee" wrote in message
As far as I understand it the maximum speed you can get for ADSL depends
on the quality of the phoneline and distance from the exchange

When Bulldog comes to your exchange do they do something special which
increases a person's ability to get faster speeds?

LLU ISP's like Bulldog install their own DSLAM's in BT's exchanges.

They don't do anything "special" but as they own their own equipment they do
not follow BT's rather conservative line test limits.

For instance, if you could get 2MB with BT, the chances are you can get 4MB+
with an LLU ISP.

My decibel figures from my ADSL router currently on pipex 512 kb/s suggest
the most I can get is 1 mb/s cos of line quality / distance issue - will a
move to Bulldog improve that?

It won't improve your dB figures but Bulldog (or any other LLU ISP) will be
more willing to try faster than 1MB speeds and depending on your readings
(especially your SNR) you could probably get faster speeds.

If you do sign up with Bulldog would you mind quoting my referral code -just
quote "bdol 87431" when signing up online (under "How did you hear about
Bulldog?/Referred by a Friend") or just mention it while ordering by
telephone.

Regards
Sunil

Old March 18th 05, 12:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:23:09 +0000, Dee
wrote:

As far as I understand it the maximum speed you can get for ADSL depends
on the quality of the phoneline and distance from the exchange

When Bulldog comes to your exchange do they do something special which
increases a person's ability to get faster speeds?

My decibel figures from my ADSL router currently on pipex 512 kb/s
suggest the most I can get is 1 mb/s cos of line quality / distance
issue - will a move to Bulldog improve that?

Keep in mind the possibility that you might actually experience lower
download speeds than you currently have.

I've had [email protected] 4mb installed for about a week now. I'm getting
about 3mb downstream but my upload speeds are 213kb (as per
ADSLGuide's speedcheck) so a lot lower then they were when I had a
512/256Kb service.

A bulldog technical guy said that it was because increasing the speed
of a line can have a detrimental effect on upload speed. I don't know
if he's right.

Upload speed is very important if you use P2P applications (such as
Edonkey) where you can only download as much as you upload. In fact,
apart from Usenet, I can't find any way to get even close to maxing
out my download speed. I've far prefer a service of 1Mb down, 1 Mb up.

Joe

Old March 18th 05, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

When I type in my phone number it says the 4mb/s service isn't expected
in my area until May 2005 - Someone from Bulldog called me last night to
ask about if I want to move to them but since tit's not even in my area
for 2 more month couldn't give her much of an answer, last time C&W told
us they're comign o our area it was 2 years before they did, same with
homechoice been 3 years sinec they said they'd be coing soon to our area
and still not here in NW London
Old March 18th 05, 07:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Joe
writes
Upload speed is very important if you use P2P applications

Hhhhyyyyyeeeeeessssss

(such as Edonkey) where you can only download as much as you upload.

Pish

In fact, apart from Usenet, I can't find any way to get even close to
maxing out my download speed. I've far prefer a service of 1Mb down, 1
Mb up.

Strange. I think you must be without clue. I find it easy and always
have. 10 minutes spent on google and various FAQs would sort you out if
you care to look.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 18th 05, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tân Coul

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 15:30:48 +0000, Dee
opined, with wit and/or
wisdom,:

Someone from Bulldog called me last night to
ask about if I want to move to them but since tit's not even in my area
for 2 more month couldn't give her much of an answer,

Possibly a little harsh on the poor lass ;-)
--
Tân
Now here
Old March 19th 05, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Dee" wrote in message
As far as I understand it the maximum speed you can get for ADSL depends
on the quality of the phoneline and distance from the exchange

Just to add to my previous post - around 60/70% of people connected to an
exchange should be capable of getting 4MB (with about 50% capable of getting
8MB)

Regards
Sunil

Old March 19th 05, 11:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 19:57:35 +0000, pete devlin
wrote:

In message , Joe
writes
Upload speed is very important if you use P2P applications

Strange. I think you must be without clue. I find it easy and always
have. 10 minutes spent on google and various FAQs would sort you out if
you care to look.

You find it easy to do what? If you mean you find it easy to make use
of more than 1meg download bandwidth then I'd love to hear how you do
it. Please don't give me the old twaddle about Linux distros and
stuff.....yawn!!. I've heard it all before and it really doesn't
wash. I'm not a newbie. I've been pirating everything on the internet
I can get my hands on since 1992 or thereabouts when I was one of the
first to have a dial-up connection from Demon.

The only thing most people (including myself) who have a 4meg
connection are interested in is downloading pirate software, music,
films and TV. Most people who say otherwise are being coy. The only
good source of material in one (download) direction is Usenet but most
Usenet servers will give you nothing close to 4meg bandwidth

P2P requires sharing; so basically the advantages of a 4meg/256Kb
connection are very limited indeed,

Joe
Old March 20th 05, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Joe" wrote in message
P2P requires sharing; so basically the advantages of a 4meg/256Kb
connection are very limited indeed,

2MB ADSL services (i.e. from Bulldog or UKOnline) tend to have 400K or
faster upload - not 256K

Regards
Sunil