Bulldog ADSL 400 Minute Service

Old March 18th 05, 05:41 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dee

Default Bulldog ADSL 400 Minute Service

Can someone explain how you charge people for time spent online for
broadband?

I understand how it would work for dial up but we have a all in one wifi
/ ethernet ADSL modem router so it's always connected to the internet
and serves up to 4 PC's at home
Old March 19th 05, 11:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Lasitha

"Dee" wrote in message
Can someone explain how you charge people for time spent online for
broadband?

I understand how it would work for dial up but we have a all in one wifi /
ethernet ADSL modem router so it's always connected to the internet and
serves up to 4 PC's at home

From what I understand, when you are connected to the net (which is all the
time if you are on broadband), you are using your minutes. Therefore, you
need to disconnect once you have finished browsing/downloading e-mails etc.
So, basically, this is dial-up service, but at a faster speed.

Lasitha

Old March 19th 05, 02:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Dee" wrote in message
Can someone explain how you charge people for time spent online for
broadband?

It would work the same way as for dial-up - i.e. based on the amount of time
that the modem/router was "logged in" to the ISP.

I understand how it would work for dial up but we have a all in one wifi /
ethernet ADSL modem router so it's always connected to the internet and
serves up to 4 PC's at home

You will find that most ethernet ADSL modem/routers have an "idle" setting
which can be used to make the router disconnect is IP traffic is not being
passed/requested, hence effectively making it "dial on demand" instead
(almost like a dial up modem)

Such a tariff structure for ADSL does not make much sense to me - if
metering has to exist, metering by data appears more logical. However, in
several other countries metering by "time" rather than data is more common
(hence all the routers offering "idle" time and/or "dial on demand"
settings)

I presume Bulldog have launched this option as they see a market niche for
it in the UK - perhaps for very light users who are currently on dial-up but
would appreciate faster speeds when downloading email... personally I
imagine this market is currently very small and that most customers would
choose an "unmetered" and/or a "data capped" option instead which other
ISP's and Bulldog still offer...

Regards
Sunil