A Broadband and ADSL forum. BroadbanterBanter

Welcome to BroadbanterBanter.

You are currently viewing as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today.

Go Back   Home » BroadbanterBanter forum » Newsgroup Discussions » uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband)
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) (uk.telecom.broadband) Discussion of broadband services, technology and equipment as provided in the UK. Discussions of specific services based on ADSL, cable modems or other broadband technology are also on-topic. Advertising is not allowed.

Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old March 18th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?

Since switching from BT Yahoo to PlusNet, I've been surprised that I no
longer seem to be port scanned any more ... touch wood.

Is this coincidence or does PlusNet filter out these scan attempts?
--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
  #3  
Old March 18th 05, 09:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?

Rolyat wrote:

In article ,
says...

Since switching from BT Yahoo to PlusNet, I've been surprised that I no
longer seem to be port scanned any more ... touch wood.

Is this coincidence or does PlusNet filter out these scan attempts?


Possibly that BTY attracts the less security 'savvy' than Plusnet, so is
targeted more.


Possible, and also maybe because BTO have dynamic IPs, so hackers will
know the range that should be in use. But with fixed IPs on PlusNet,
you have a disadvantage as specific machines can be targetted.

I'd still like to know from PlusNet whether they do any filtering.
--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
  #5  
Old March 18th 05, 10:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote:

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 21:55:51 +0000, John Perry
wrote:

Rolyat wrote:

In article ,
SPAM says...

Since switching from BT Yahoo to PlusNet, I've been surprised that I no
longer seem to be port scanned any more ... touch wood.

Is this coincidence or does PlusNet filter out these scan attempts?

Possibly that BTY attracts the less security 'savvy' than Plusnet, so is
targeted more.


Possible, and also maybe because BTO have dynamic IPs, so hackers will
know the range that should be in use. But with fixed IPs on PlusNet,
you have a disadvantage as specific machines can be targetted.

I'd still like to know from PlusNet whether they do any filtering.



Hi,

We have a block on port 135 across the network and 445 on the network
borders which were used by Blaster and a few other worms. But other than
that there is no block.

That's what I like about PlusNet, they respond to their customers
promptly - I'm glad I moved from BT Yahoo for a better service :-).

But BT still think I am with them LOL, but their direct debit is
cancelled - they sent me an email saying my line had been upgraded to
2MB, but I'm currently only connecting at 1MB.
--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
  #6  
Old March 19th 05, 12:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 40
Default Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?


Possibly that BTY attracts the less security 'savvy' than Plusnet, so is
targeted more.


More like plusnet on SOME gateways blocks users web access if they spew
out traffic on 135/9/445 which are what most viruses use. They also
block entry of these at the border so customers never see it.

FWIW for the 18th of march i logged 3600 firewall hits, 360 of those
were port 445, 482 were port 139. All of those are off pusnet users.

In other words, there are a large number of clueless virus infested
imbeciles that shouldnt be allowed online on plusnet as well as elsewhere.


--
--
Linux - Performs in 3 days what other OSs can do in 30 seconds
  #7  
Old March 19th 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 303
Default Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?

In message , John Perry
writes
That's what I like about PlusNet, they respond to their customers
promptly - I'm glad I moved from BT Yahoo for a better service :-).


Yes it's all very nice and that, but isn't there a PN group where all
that should be happening? This ng is becoming a PN-centric fanboy love
fest where all other bb matters are being drowned out.
Still, it's better than Nildram who, for some reason, seem to think that
the place to talk to their customers is on adslguide and very rarely on
their own support group. Bit strange really as they are good, just have
a strange set of priorities.
--
Pete Devlin
[{//////news03//////at\\\\\secondrow/////co\\\\\uk}]
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
  #8  
Old March 19th 05, 01:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Bob Eager
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,472
Default Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:58:34 UTC, pete devlin
wrote:

In message , John Perry
writes
That's what I like about PlusNet, they respond to their customers
promptly - I'm glad I moved from BT Yahoo for a better service :-).


Yes it's all very nice and that, but isn't there a PN group where all
that should be happening? This ng is becoming a PN-centric fanboy love
fest where all other bb matters are being drowned out.


If PN are happy to discuss things in public, and this isn't all just
about free advertising (which it is beginning to be), why don't they
have a public newsgroup created? (e.g. uk.net.providers.plusnet)

  #9  
Old March 19th 05, 08:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
John Perry
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 39
Default Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?

"Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:58:34 UTC, pete devlin
wrote:

In message , John Perry
writes
That's what I like about PlusNet, they respond to their customers
promptly - I'm glad I moved from BT Yahoo for a better service :-).


Yes it's all very nice and that, but isn't there a PN group where all
that should be happening? This ng is becoming a PN-centric fanboy love
fest where all other bb matters are being drowned out.


If PN are happy to discuss things in public, and this isn't all just
about free advertising (which it is beginning to be), why don't they
have a public newsgroup created? (e.g. uk.net.providers.plusnet)


My original post started about a BT email saying I was now on 2Mb, but I
am on 1Mb. I think its a bit of a double edged sword for them - if
PlusNet stay good, then they will get credit for it, but if they don't
perform well, they will get a load of gripes - and from me as well.

I have no connection with PlusNet, just a satisfied user who actually
has found he is using less bandwidth that expected and could have stayed
with BT.

Now....wonder whether I really will get my 2Mb.

--
SPAM (delete NOSPAM)
www.redoak.co.uk www.eze-buy.co.uk
  #10  
Old March 20th 05, 01:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,496
Default Improved security of PlusNet over BT Yahoo?

On 19 Mar 2005 13:28, "Bob Eager" wrote:

If PN are happy to discuss things in public, and this isn't all just
about free advertising (which it is beginning to be), why don't they
have a public newsgroup created? (e.g. uk.net.providers.plusnet)


It comes back to where people post, and while some 'gripes' get cross-
posted to u.t.b ot a.i.p.u, it is not down to Plus.Net to 'control' in
which groups there are posts... like some other ISPs, they just answer
if they see the post and if someone has the time/inclination to do so.

(I know some of the posts are from staff, but home, on their own time.)


--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
with many options in between... http://tinyurl.com/3rjw4
 




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PC Security David Bradley uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 1 January 30th 05 11:27 AM
Onetel "New Improved" web mail appallingly slow to load Gel uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 0 January 6th 05 03:24 PM
Security David Bradley uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 10 December 14th 04 09:48 PM
Sygate Security Log Steve uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 5 October 31st 04 08:05 PM
Has Virgin broadband improved?? Matthew Ford uk.telecom.broadband (UK broadband) 8 May 17th 04 06:34 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 2.4.0
Copyright 2004-2019 BroadbanterBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.