Cheapest way of getting online ...

Old March 18th 05, 11:23 PM posted to uk.telecom,uk.telecom.broadband
T. Denford

Default Cheapest way of getting online ...

Looking for some advice please ...

Scenario:

My brother doesn't have a telephone landline at the moment and would like
an internet connection. Can anyone point me in the right direction so as to
obtain the cheapest way of getting online? (cheapest telephone company and
broadband provider)

He won't be using his landline to make many calls .... just for internet
really.

Many thanks.

--
T. Denford.
Old March 19th 05, 11:13 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben Clay

Creative answer...
Buy a wireless router (Netgear DG834GT for £100?) and convince a neighbour
to install it on their broadband connection. Pay them £10/month; that's
probably more than half what they're paying for broadband over and above
their line rental but less than half what you'd have to pay for line plus
broadband. Comparison: £100+£10/ month against £20/month - break even in 10
months (and you get to keep the router.

Old March 19th 05, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
JPG

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 11:13:50 -0000, "Ben Clay"

Top posting fixed.

. ..

wrote:

Creative answer...
Buy a wireless router (Netgear DG834GT for £100?) and convince a neighbour
to install it on their broadband connection. Pay them £10/month; that's
probably more than half what they're paying for broadband over and above
their line rental but less than half what you'd have to pay for line plus
broadband. Comparison: £100+£10/ month against £20/month - break even in 10
months (and you get to keep the router.

Reselling broadband in this way is almost certain to be illegal - he
would be putting his neighbours at risk of prosecution.

JPG

Old March 19th 05, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Mike NG

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 at 11:53:26, JPG (JPG ) wrote:
Reselling broadband in this way is almost certain to be illegal - he
would be putting his neighbours at risk of prosecution

Plus it's too risky anyway - they could be downloading all sorts of cr*p

And if you open up your router to someone else, are you also opening up
your computer files as a network to them?
--
Mike

Old March 19th 05, 03:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben Clay

"Mike NG" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 at 11:53:26, JPG (JPG ) wrote:
Reselling broadband in this way is almost certain to be illegal - he
would be putting his neighbours at risk of prosecution

Plus it's too risky anyway - they could be downloading all sorts of cr*p

And if you open up your router to someone else, are you also opening up
your computer files as a network to them?
--
Mike

Sorry - Mis-click before I typed the words hence the empty reply earlier.

- - -

Ok,ok. I'll take a telling

1) I knew I was on thin ice wrt reselling broadband but thought I'd test the
response
but...
2) what's all this about sharing WiFi cells in a big cooperative system?
i.e. get WiFi in some remote area, open it up to anyone who drives past and
then you can use theirs when you're out and about. Sure it's not re-selling
but what about the security?

Old March 20th 05, 01:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin²

JPG:
Reselling broadband in this way is almost certain to be illegal - he
would be putting his neighbours at risk of prosecution.

Sharing a cost is not the same as re-selling. It may be a breach of the
ISP's T&C's (some DO allow it),
and at worst they could terminate the service.
There is no way the ISP can tell WHERE your computers are located.

Mike NG:
And if you open up your router to someone else, are you also opening up
your computer files as a network to them?

NO. You don't have to enable file sharing, or else protect your HD /
directories with passwords.

Obviously you do have to trust your partner will don't download child porn,
and now even 'illegal' copies of music, video or warez.

Regards,
Martin

Old March 20th 05, 12:09 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben Clay

"Martin²" wrote in message

Reselling broadband in this way is almost certain to be illegal - he
would be putting his neighbours at risk of prosecution.

Sharing a cost is not the same as re-selling. It may be a breach of the
ISP's T&C's (some DO allow it),
and at worst they could terminate the service.
There is no way the ISP can tell WHERE your computers are located.

etc.

Thanks for the more reasoned response.
Ben

Old March 20th 05, 12:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ben Clay

Default Double posts (was: Cheapest way of getting online ...)

Aaaargh!
Mouse still double-clicking on a single press.
Sorry.