Turned down for ADSL...

Old March 19th 05, 11:56 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Hump'er

Default Turned down for ADSL...

.....despite just ending a previous ADSL contract!!

Had 512 ADSL with Pipex, but cancelled due to improved offers elsewhere
(this was days before Pipex's new pricing structure). Decided to go back
with them, based on their new prices but have just received an e-mail
stating that my line is unsuitable for ANY ADSL!!!

So what WAS it I was connected to for the last 2 years with no problems
whatsoever?!!!

Old March 19th 05, 12:05 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
vague disclamer

In article ,
"Jack Hump'er" wrote:

....despite just ending a previous ADSL contract!!

Had 512 ADSL with Pipex, but cancelled due to improved offers elsewhere
(this was days before Pipex's new pricing structure). Decided to go back
with them, based on their new prices but have just received an e-mail
stating that my line is unsuitable for ANY ADSL!!!

So what WAS it I was connected to for the last 2 years with no problems
whatsoever?!!!

Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?
--
A vague disclaimer is nobody's friend
Old March 19th 05, 12:29 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Hump'er

....despite just ending a previous ADSL contract!!

Had 512 ADSL with Pipex, but cancelled due to improved offers elsewhere
(this was days before Pipex's new pricing structure). Decided to go back
with them, based on their new prices but have just received an e-mail
stating that my line is unsuitable for ANY ADSL!!!

So what WAS it I was connected to for the last 2 years with no problems
whatsoever?!!!

Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?

Only when the contract expired.

Old March 19th 05, 12:47 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Chris Jones

So what WAS it I was connected to for the last 2 years with no
problems
whatsoever?!!!

Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?

Only when the contract expired.

If you try to re-order before your old connection has been turned off, it
will automatically fail the line tests.

Old March 19th 05, 01:08 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Jack Hump'er

Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?

Only when the contract expired.

If you try to re-order before your old connection has been turned off, it
will automatically fail the line tests.

Contract ended in mid Feb - I'm currently utilising a free month with AOL
(shudder!!)

Old March 19th 05, 01:52 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"Jack Hump'er" wrote in message
Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?

Only when the contract expired.

What does http://www.bt.com/broadband/ say for your line ?

Regards
Sunil

Old March 19th 05, 02:10 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
mo

"Jack Hump'er" wrote in message
Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?

Only when the contract expired.

If you try to re-order before your old connection has been turned off, it
will automatically fail the line tests.

Contract ended in mid Feb - I'm currently utilising a free month with AOL
(shudder!!)

maybe they dont want you back- i think i read it has to be 6 weeks/months
before they table u back as a 'new' customer

Old April 4th 05, 01:20 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Jack Hump'er" wrote in message
Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?

Only when the contract expired.

What does http://www.bt.com/broadband/ say for your line ?

That was very useful link Sunil, thank you. According to BT my line is
already capable of 2Mbp/s yet AOL has yet to upgrade me even to 1Mbps. That
is in spite of a friend who lives much further from the same exchange having
been notified of an upgrade to his connection two weeks ago.

(kim)

Old April 5th 05, 09:23 AM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
Paul Harper

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:20:33 +0100, "kim" wrote:

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Jack Hump'er" wrote in message
Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?

Only when the contract expired.

What does http://www.bt.com/broadband/ say for your line ?

That was very useful link Sunil, thank you. According to BT my line is
already capable of 2Mbp/s yet AOL has yet to upgrade me even to 1Mbps. That
is in spite of a friend who lives much further from the same exchange having
been notified of an upgrade to his connection two weeks ago.

I'm assuming that if you're on the free trial, they won't upgrade you.
Once you get to the stage of paying for the service, then they'll be
happier to.

But it's just a guess!

Paul.

--
.. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
.. JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.
Old April 5th 05, 05:34 PM posted to uk.media.broadband,uk.telecom.broadband
kim

"Sunil Sood" wrote in message

"Jack Hump'er" wrote in message
Had your original ADSL connection been turned off?

Only when the contract expired.

What does http://www.bt.com/broadband/ say for your line ?

That was very useful link Sunil, thank you. According to BT my line is
already capable of 2Mbp/s yet AOL has yet to upgrade me even to 1Mbps.
That
is in spite of a friend who lives much further from the same exchange
having
been notified of an upgrade to his connection two weeks ago.

I'm assuming that if you're on the free trial, they won't upgrade you.
Once you get to the stage of paying for the service, then they'll be
happier to.

The exact opposite is true. I read on AOL's message board that newbies are
being offered the faster connections right away (and at a reduced price)
whilst long suffering customers like myself are still waiting to be
upgraded. A trick which worked for one subscriber was to ask to upgrade to 2
Meg - wait for the line to be activated - then cancel within the 7-day
cooling-off period. That left him with a 1 Meg link instead of 576k. It
won't work for me as they already billed me for April.

As things stand new subscribers to AOL are paying 19.99 for 1 Meg while
existing customers are paying 24.99 for 576K.

(kim)