Calling AOL's dial-up 0808 access numbers from a Bulldog LLU line

Old March 19th 05, 08:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

Default Calling AOL's dial-up 0808 access numbers from a Bulldog LLU line

I've been tearing my hair out trying to set up an AOL dial-up account
on a friend's laptop.

I kept getting engaged tones when ringing the freefone numbers (e.g.
0808 9944001). AOL Customer Services are complete dodos and told me
'engineers were working on the problem'.

Now I just found out that there is no engaged tone when you ring the
above number from a BT line (a friend tried it) but when I call from
my line (Bulldog) it seems to know and goes engaged immediately.

Does AOL have access to some database of numbers that allows them to
do this? Are there any other numbers that are effectively barred on a
Bulldog line?

Joe
Old March 19th 05, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Joe:
I've been tearing my hair out trying to set up an AOL dial-up account
on a friend's laptop.

I kept getting engaged tones when ringing the freefone numbers (e.g.
0808 9944001). AOL Customer Services are complete dodos and told me
'engineers were working on the problem'.

Now I just found out that there is no engaged tone when you ring the
above number from a BT line (a friend tried it) but when I call from
my line (Bulldog) it seems to know and goes engaged immediately.

Does AOL have access to some database of numbers that allows them to
do this? Are there any other numbers that are effectively barred on a
Bulldog line?

Joe

Have you tried any other 0808 number, you may find Bulldog block access to all
0808 numbers, and is the reason I will not have my line rental from other
providers other than BT as they block access to services like 0808 and 18866
and 1899 to make cheaper calls.

Old March 19th 05, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Linus Surguy

Joe wrote:

I've been tearing my hair out trying to set up an AOL dial-up account
on a friend's laptop.

I kept getting engaged tones when ringing the freefone numbers (e.g.
0808 9944001). AOL Customer Services are complete dodos and told me
'engineers were working on the problem'.

The number is probably a FRAICO number and therefore only accessable from a BT
phone line. Ask them if they have an alternative number for cable users, and use
that one.

Linus

www.telesave.co.uk: UK 2.5p/1.5/1p South Africa 6p US,France,Germany,Eire 2.5p
Looking for VoIP ? We're the largest wholesale numbering supplier in the UK!
Old March 19th 05, 10:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

"Joe" wrote in message
I've been tearing my hair out trying to set up an AOL dial-up account
on a friend's laptop.

I kept getting engaged tones when ringing the freefone numbers (e.g.
0808 9944001). AOL Customer Services are complete dodos and told me
'engineers were working on the problem'.

Now I just found out that there is no engaged tone when you ring the
above number from a BT line (a friend tried it) but when I call from
my line (Bulldog) it seems to know and goes engaged immediately.

Does AOL have access to some database of numbers that allows them to
do this? Are there any other numbers that are effectively barred on a
Bulldog line?

Joe

You will need to go into the AOL access numbers screen before log on and
select a non-bt access number. I would imagine you are using an access
number which is for BT lines by default.

Old March 19th 05, 11:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 22:18:01 -0000, "Gareth :-\\\) voom"
wrote:

You will need to go into the AOL access numbers screen before log on and
select a non-bt access number. I would imagine you are using an access
number which is for BT lines by default.

I used an 'NTL' one and got the same result. The stupid thing is that
they only give you three potential access numbers on the software they
supply and when you ring the esteemed Maharajas in Customer Support
they won't give you another one (even though they have lots of
others).

God knows how much money AOL spend on advertising for new customers
and after all of that they fall at the first hurdle. I don't know why
I find it deeply frustrating, but I do.......and that's probably my
fault!

Joe

Old March 20th 05, 02:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gareth :-\\\) voom

wrote:

You will need to go into the AOL access numbers screen before log on and
select a non-bt access number. I would imagine you are using an access
number which is for BT lines by default.

I used an 'NTL' one and got the same result. The stupid thing is that
they only give you three potential access numbers on the software they
supply and when you ring the esteemed Maharajas in Customer Support
they won't give you another one (even though they have lots of
others).

God knows how much money AOL spend on advertising for new customers
and after all of that they fall at the first hurdle. I don't know why
I find it deeply frustrating, but I do.......and that's probably my
fault!

Joe

Yeh they seem to only give you a few numbers now. Have you had a look at:
http://www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/access_number.html

It says call : 0800 376 1326 if you have an alternative telephone provider.

Old March 20th 05, 10:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Joe

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 14:43:03 -0000, "Gareth :-\\\) voom"
wrote:

Yeh they seem to only give you a few numbers now. Have you had a look at:
http://www.aol.co.uk/about/help/faqs/access_number.html

It says call : 0800 376 1326 if you have an alternative telephone provider.

0800 376 1326 is the number for Customer Services, not a
'data'/connect number. And AOL Customer Services probably take the
prize for being the most moronic and 'jobs worth' CS department of any
company operating in the UK.

So......I'm afraid that doesn't help! In any case I got her signed up
with Tiscalli (for her sins).

Joe