Satellite

Old March 19th 05, 08:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
douglas dwyer

Default Satellite

Turned down for ADSL due to distance , what is the lowest cost satellite
option?
--
dd
Old March 19th 05, 10:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
cliff goldsmith

10.1km line
zyxel 660hw
http://www.zyxel.co.uk/Products.32+B...jAwNDE_.0.html
Absolutely fantastic i didn't think i would get it either

Old March 19th 05, 11:43 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Muxton

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 20:46:33 +0000, douglas dwyer
wrote:

Turned down for ADSL due to distance , what is the lowest cost satellite
option?

I don't really keep an eye on the satellite market, but my old man's
connected to one of the 'unviable' exchanges and used Satdrive, now
operated by skyDSL:
http://www.euroskynet.com/?tpl=page/...h_lang&lang=en

skyDSL is a bit of a misnomer IMO, as DSL is a technology used for
data transmission over copper wire, but I suppose it's just a name...

He pays 14.99 per month. Uplink is via land line, downloads are via
Socks 5 proxy so you won't be able to get your POP3 email, but it's
fine if you have access to web based email.

DL speeds are variable, sometimes line speed during busy periods,
sometimes up to 8Mbps, but generally pretty good and reliable.

Good for browsing, etc., but I doubt it's any good for P2P, VoIP or
gaming.

Jake

Old March 20th 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

douglas dwyer wrote:
Turned down for ADSL due to distance , what is the lowest cost
satellite option?

I think even the lowest cost satellite system would likely be too
expensive for an individual. I do know someone though in a remote
Warwickshire village who shares a satellite connection with several others
in the village, I'll try and find out more info about it. I do know that
the signal is received/transmitted to/from a single dish on one of the
participants' houses and retransmitted to everyone else via a short
distance UHF radio link - my friend has a small (6in.) glass-fibre aerial
on his roof and can see the house with the dish from his window.

Ivor

Old March 20th 05, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
dan

DL speeds are variable, sometimes line speed during busy periods,
sometimes up to 8Mbps, but generally pretty good and reliable.

He would never get near 8Mbps using a landline as his uplink.

Dan

Old March 20th 05, 03:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ivor Jones

Ivor Jones wrote:
douglas dwyer wrote:
Turned down for ADSL due to distance , what is the lowest cost
satellite option?

I think even the lowest cost satellite system would likely be too
expensive for an individual. I do know someone though in a remote
Warwickshire village who shares a satellite connection with several
others in the village, I'll try and find out more info about it. I
do know that the signal is received/transmitted to/from a single
dish on one of the participants' houses and retransmitted to
everyone else via a short distance UHF radio link - my friend has a
small (6in.) glass-fibre aerial on his roof and can see the house
with the dish from his window.
Ivor

I've spoken to my friend and the service they use in their village is
Aramiska - www.aramiska.co.uk gives more info.

Hope this helps.

Ivor

Old March 21st 05, 10:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Pleasants

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 15:33:06 -0000, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

I've spoken to my friend and the service they use in their village is
Aramiska - www.aramiska.co.uk gives more info.

Hope this helps.

Ivor

I'm attached to the Aramiska network at work. Connections are (very)
expensive but then we do use a business connection. As a company they
used to be dire, customer service, support, billing etc was appalling
but they've improved tremendously, to the point where I have no
problem with them as a company.

The satellite service is my biggest bugbear. It is so slow for
general browsing, much slower than dial up, due to the huge latency on
a satellite connection. The Aramiska arc (satellite modem) also
employs local caching which I have never been able to turn off which
makes browsing any forums very messy as you are constantly having to
hit reload to refresh thread content / new post listings etc.

Anything which requires low latency you can forget - four figure pings
are not unusual. I also didn't enjoy having to clean the snow off the
dish a fair bit recently.

In its favour, our business needs a fast internet connection in order
to be able to function and the satellite provides this. Continuous
downloading is at least as fast as ADSL, easily sustaining speeds of
120kb/sec on a 1mbit connection. That is the point at which it sets
itself apart from dial up.
Old March 27th 05, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Walter Hayward

In article , douglas dwyer
writes
Turned down for ADSL due to distance , what is the lowest cost satellite
option?

Bit late seeing this.
I was using central point on Astra 28.5 (same as sky so using same dish)
at around 18 pounds/month for 256k
Now using 256k (uncapped) on Astra 19.2 (swung old sky dish) from
www.astranet.net in Serbia!

15 Euro/month or 149 euro per year
512K service 25 Euro/momth or 249 Euro/ year.
Unlike UK companies, they do not charge any setup fee!
Minimum contract 1 Month

Next cheapest Netsystem.com Italy.
Central point and Astranet provide a proxy service, so normally no
problems getting exisiting mail/news via satellite.
Netsystem provide a VPN not proxy service.

I am in North Scotland so Eutelsat is a bit of a no-no although better
facilities and cheap if you use Broadsat in Italy.

Just be aware that satellite broadband is no good for games, VIOP etc.
Also the quality of your land based return leg isp WILL affect your
satellite service.
I use a cheapie high contention isp and my satellite does suffer badle
when their contention is high, (high contention in the land based isp
slows the data requests to the proxy) so then I simply use a pay as you
go isp.
The contention issue does not affect file downloads much.. once data
flows it continues at a similar rate for the rest of the file, (file
managers work ok) but browsing does get affected due to the high number
of "handshakes" involved.

Hope it helps
Wally Hayward