BT ClosedWorld

Old March 20th 05, 09:32 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
DeeBee

Default BT ClosedWorld

"David McDonald" wrote in message
My friend has a strange problem with BT Broadband (residential)

It seem she can connect to the internet before 8am, but then up to 5pm she
looses connection, with it then to return to normal after 5pm [Mon-Fri]

No Problems [Sat-Sun]

I have set her a up with a Linksys ADSL Modem Router to split here
connection. It works faultlessly until it hits usual business times, then
won't connect.

I have tried various ADSL Modems and they all hit the same restriction,
even with only one machine connected, used as router consol.

Logicaly it has to be BT, though I keep getting told by them its not thier
problem.

The telephone line comes straight into the BT *split* wall socket, with no
other extensions run from it, with the modem plugged straight into the BT
wall socket.

I have changed the filter out trying 3 types, with no other device plugged
into it.

I am at a loss, to know what to do.
I think its time to change supplier.
Is anyone else having the same problems

Thank You

A mate of mine has almost the same problem, but in the evening the ADSL
connection is lost, when kiddies come home from scholl - OK during the day.

Reported this to Virgin and they said it was a BT fault. My view was thar
they were fobbing him off with that excuse, but really they have too many
customers on one pipe, ie oversubscribed. I told him to get a MAC code and
move suppliers.

Anyway, yesterday he spotted a BT enginineer in the steet and asked him
about the problem.

Turns out that there is at least four ADSL customers nearby that have the
same problem. When matey said he had the same problem the BY bod said it
must be either a damaged underground cable or a wet underground cable
causing cross talk between customers. so when just one customer is online
its OK but when more go online it all goes belly up. Looks like they will
need to dig up the cable.

So in OP case it could be a heavy business user causing the problem.

As said earlier chase BT, either directly or via your ISP

HTH

DeeBee