Cheapest 512K Broadband

Old March 20th 05, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Nel

Default Cheapest 512K Broadband

After trying to sign up to a 2MB account, I've been informed that I cannot
have anything more than 512K due to the length/quality of my line. I've
looked around but cannot find a decent supplier as everyone seems to be
pushing the 1-2MB services like mad!

Anyone know a cheap 512K service that preferabely has no usage cap?

Cheers

Old March 20th 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Simon Zerafa

Hi,

The days of "unlimited" usage plans on ADSL are getting shorter as many of
them are now switching to usage capped services.

The trick now will be to find a services that offers a large cap (or big
enough for what you need).

For what it's worth PlusNet has been upfront with it's "Fair Usage Policy"
and seems to be reasonably generious.

Check them out at: http://www.plus.net/ for more infomation.

I'm sure that one of the PlusNet Staff will hop in here to give the short
version of the "Fair Usage Policy" :-)

Kind Regards

Simon Zerafa

Old March 20th 05, 09:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 20 Mar 2005 21:15, "Simon Zerafa" wrote:

I'm sure that one of the PlusNet Staff will hop in here to give the short
version of the "Fair Usage Policy" :-)

I wouldn't count on it, but the OP could sign up for a free news/mail a/c
http://www.plus.net/btbroadband/ and read the PN groups himself :-)

With a guarantee to allow new users to migrate if you don't like it.
Old March 20th 05, 10:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
It's Me

Have a look at Zen internet, they do not use the usage model. But I would
not call them cheap.

You get what you pay for, then they are not that expensive anyway.

Look them up decide for youeself.

news

Old March 20th 05, 10:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ace Internet

Anyone know a cheap 512K service that preferabely has no usage
cap?

We offer 512k service for 19.99+vat per month, with "25+vat
activation fee until end of March, or free transfer in.

No caps, port blocking, limits or proxy servers - also includes
POP3 incoming, SMTP server for outgoing mail and newsgroup
access.

Steve
Ace Internet | http://www.ace-internet.co.uk
Internet Connectivity | ADSL | Web Hosting | Domain names
t: 0870 740 7555 | f: 0870 740 5335 | e:

Old March 20th 05, 11:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Old Codger

Simon Zerafa wrote:

"Nel" wrote in message
After trying to sign up to a 2MB account, I've been informed that I
cannot have anything more than 512K due to the length/quality of my
line. I've looked around but cannot find a decent supplier as
everyone seems to be pushing the 1-2MB services like mad!

Anyone know a cheap 512K service that preferabely has no usage cap?

The days of "unlimited" usage plans on ADSL are getting shorter as
many of them are now switching to usage capped services.

The trick now will be to find a services that offers a large cap (or
big enough for what you need).

For what it's worth PlusNet has been upfront with it's "Fair Usage
Policy" and seems to be reasonably generious.

Check them out at: http://www.plus.net/ for more infomation.

I'm sure that one of the PlusNet Staff will hop in here to give the
short version of the "Fair Usage Policy" :-)

AIUI, the fair usage limit (22 account) is set at 30 GB download per month.
Downloads during the hours between 0100 and 0800 (I think) do not count
towards the limit. Uploads do not count towards the limit. If the limit is
exceeded in any month you get a warning e-mail, and move up one step in the
fair use capping. Exceed the limit the next month and you get a second
warning e-mail and move to step 2 in the fair use capping. Exceed the limit
again in the third month and your speed is restricted for the remainder of
the payment period. Any month in which the limit is not exceeded the count
drops back by 1 (but not below zero).

In comparison with other ISPs it does appear to be generous and flexible.
Just hope they do not find it necessary to tighten up further in the future.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old March 21st 05, 12:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Gel

Do not always believe what they tell you; my location indicates I could
get 256, and possibly 512.

I actually get Plus Net 1mb, and hope I get the free upgrade soon to
2mb.

Old March 21st 05, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Pineapple mo-fo

"Nel" decided it would be mildly amusing to
write:

Anyone know a cheap 512K service that preferabely has no usage cap?

Not the cheapest, but Freedom2Surf still do their 512K totally uncapped
service at 22.50/month and I believe it's still free to sign up.

I've always been totally happy with their service and so have friends whom
I've recommended 'em to. Have a butchers at the F2S forum on
adslguide.org.uk - there's usually a lot of love in there.

--
Lots of love, Rich
crapola - http://www.brushtastic.f2s.com
Old March 21st 05, 07:47 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
johnydeath

Ace Internet wrote:
Anyone know a cheap 512K service that preferabely has no usage
cap?

We offer 512k service for 19.99+vat per month, with "25+vat
activation fee until end of March, or free transfer in.

No caps, port blocking, limits or proxy servers - also includes
POP3 incoming, SMTP server for outgoing mail and newsgroup
access.

Steve

I've just signed up with ADSL4Less @ 14.99 a month inc VAT plus a one
off migration of 14.99. This is for an uncapped 512Mb with a monthly
contract.

If I stay with them for 2 months then this works out at the same rate as
my current Pipex for 2 months, and then I can move on to somewhere else
if it doesn't work out.

Over the first year, compared to Pipex, I will save 86.41 and any
subsequent year 102.48 if prices stay the same.

Ok there is no newsgroups/webhosting and 1x pop3 email but that suits
me. There are plenty of alternative free services.

EFH came a close second @ 11.74 a month but their migration is 35 and
the tie in is longer. I know - it actually is cheaper by 18.75 over
the first year and more thereafter but I have been recommended ADSL4Less
by a current user.

This would save 105.16 over Pipex for the first year and save 140.40 a
year thereafter. If I do not get on with ADSL4Less then I would
consider moving to them after 2 months or so.
Old March 21st 05, 10:31 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
thoss

In article , Old
Codger writes
Simon Zerafa wrote:

"Nel" wrote in message
[...]

How about their new (coming April 1st) Broadband Plus: unlimited, 512k
for 14.99.
--
Thoss