Netgear DG834G v2.10.16 beta firmware released

Old March 21st 05, 01:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Default Netgear DG834G v2.10.16 beta firmware released

Now available from http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear

Please remember it is beta and upgrade at your own risk etc...

Regards
Sunil

Old March 21st 05, 08:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Philip K

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 01:30:11 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

Now available from http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear

Please remember it is beta and upgrade at your own risk etc...

Seems reasonably stable to me, but I have no idea what has changed since
2.10.10 (apart from the Help file being missing - I get a 404 in the
right hand frame); I can't see any added functionality.

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]
Old March 21st 05, 09:00 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
kraftee

wrote:

Now available from http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear

Please remember it is beta and upgrade at your own risk etc...

Seems reasonably stable to me, but I have no idea what has changed
since
2.10.10 (apart from the Help file being missing - I get a 404 in the
right hand frame); I can't see any added functionality.

It's whether it starts mine redom rebooting again, that's what i'm bothered
about, the help file is off very little use if you don't know what a term
means & is off no use if you do...

Old March 21st 05, 09:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
John

wrote:

Now available from http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear

Please remember it is beta and upgrade at your own risk etc...

Seems reasonably stable to me, but I have no idea what has changed since
2.10.10 (apart from the Help file being missing - I get a 404 in the
right hand frame); I can't see any added functionality.

--
Philip

[Don't top post. Quote selectively. Don't use HTML. Enjoy Usenet]

I'm still running 1.05.00... Is there any good reason for me to upgrade?
What are the main benefits since my version?

John

Old March 21st 05, 09:23 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

"John" wrote in message
I'm still running 1.05.00... Is there any good reason for me to upgrade?
What are the main benefits since my version?

The differences between 1.05.00 and the 2.10.09 beta are listed below:

I presume the later beta's (2.10.10 and 2.10.16) fix some of the known
issues and improve ADSL2+ interoperability

----
New Features Since Version 1.05.00

1. The manual adds a chapter on VPN. Refer to it before using this advanced
feature (downloadable from
http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/D102607.asp)
2. Adds support for five IPSec VPN tunnel endpoints. In the later, non-beta,
release this feature will be in the Advanced menu. Information on NETGEAR's
VPN client software is here on the North American Web site.
3. Adds VPN Wizard functionality to ease tunnel setup based on defaults
suggested by the VPN Consortium. In the non-beta release this feature will
be in the Advanced menu.
4. Updates the wireless driver. This may improve performance depending on
your ISP, local radio interfence, etc.
5. Updates the ADSL microcode. ADSL2+ is now supported, and is undergoing
interoperability testing with various DSLAMs.

Modifications and Fixes Since Version 1.05.00

The firmware for the Annex A and Annex B versions of these routers can no
longer accidentally overwrite the correct firmware.
Changes DHCP lease time from 3 days to 24 hours.
Sets default rule to "Drop" when NAT is disabled.
Fixes a problem where the static routing table was not updated after DHCP
was disabled, then enabled.
Fixes various ADSL connection issues.
Spanning Tree Protocol is no longer enabled.
Special characters such as "/" or "$" can now be used for the PPP username
and password.
Fixes a problem where firewall rules specifying an IP range would not work
properly.
Fixes a problem where the DNS proxy would fail to respond after a while.
Fixes a problem with RIP 2 (Routing Information Protocol).

Known Issues
1. Popup blockers must be disabled for some router management Web pages to
appear, including the connection test page.
2. There is a problem connecting wirelessly using WPA-PSK security
encryption if the checkbox to Allow Broadcast of Name (SSID) is unchecked.
3. There are compatibility issues with the whiteboard on MSN Messenger 5.0.
4. If a forwarding rule is set for a server running on the LAN, the server
cannot be accessed using the WAN IP of the router from a LAN station.
----

Regards
Sunil

Old March 22nd 05, 02:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Harry Bloomfield

wrote:

Now available from http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear

Please remember it is beta and upgrade at your own risk etc...

Seems reasonably stable to me, but I have no idea what has changed since
2.10.10 (apart from the Help file being missing - I get a 404 in the
right hand frame); I can't see any added functionality.

The right hand Help panel works fine here.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Old April 16th 05, 05:06 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Philip K

Default Netgear DG834G v2.10.16 (Now: 2.10.17) beta firmware released

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:23:53 -0000, "Sunil Sood"
wrote:

I presume the later beta's (2.10.10 and 2.10.16) fix some of the known
issues and improve ADSL2+ interoperability

I see that 2.10.17 has now appeared on
http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/

Anybody know what's changed?

Old April 16th 05, 10:33 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking,uk.telecom.broadband
Sunil Sood

Philip K wrote:
I see that 2.10.17 has now appeared on
http://www.longview.eclipse.co.uk/netgear/