NAT and Static IP - I am trying again

Old March 21st 05, 07:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Infant Newbie

Default NAT and Static IP - I am trying again

I have an eTec conexant router with 1 IP address and I am using NAT with
port forwarding quite happily. I now have need to do a few tests for a short
while which needs real internet addresses so I went and got a range from my
ISP. I want to keep my NAT and use the IP's I have for these tests.. ( I
dont have enough IP's for all machines tho) and I dont want to disturb the
current forwarding I have. Are there any guides for this kind of setup? Can
anyone help?

Thanks
Infant Newbie

Old March 21st 05, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Infant Newbie
writes
I have an eTec conexant router with 1 IP address and I am using NAT with
port forwarding quite happily. I now have need to do a few tests for a short
while which needs real internet addresses so I went and got a range from my
ISP. I want to keep my NAT and use the IP's I have for these tests.. ( I
dont have enough IP's for all machines tho) and I dont want to disturb the
current forwarding I have. Are there any guides for this kind of setup? Can
anyone help?

What you want to do doesn't make any sense to me. Are you saying you
want to keep NAT on one particular IP address but have pass through on
some others? If that _is_ what you need then you require another router.
The 1st one would have to be in pass through (bridge?) mode and the
second doing NAT for the IP address you have assigned it to.

--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 24th 05, 09:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Infant Newbie

Hi, thanks for your reply. I have a standard freedom to surf account with
one static IP on the router. I need to run a few tests so I purchased a few
IP addresses. My network (LAN) uses NAT (10.0.0.0) - I do not want to change
the existing machines on the lan as my Web MX records etc all point to
existing IP. All I want to do is apply these new IP addresses to the
equipment I want to test.

Hope this makes it clear?

"pete devlin" wrote in message
In message , Infant Newbie
writes

Old March 24th 05, 09:37 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Infant Newbie
writes
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have a standard freedom to surf account
with one static IP on the router. I need to run a few tests so I
purchased a few IP addresses. My network (LAN) uses NAT (10.0.0.0) - I
do not want to change the existing machines on the lan as my Web MX
records etc all point to existing IP. All I want to do is apply these
new IP addresses to the equipment I want to test.

Hope this makes it clear?

Ish! It's too difficult and unusual IME to describe here. You need an
adsl router that does pass through for the range of IP addresses and a
router with an ethernet WAN socket to connect between the two routers.
You would then configure and connect the second router as yours is now.

--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"
Old March 24th 05, 01:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within uk.telecom.broadband,
'pete devlin' wrote:

In message , Infant Newbie
writes
Hi, thanks for your reply. I have a standard freedom to surf account
with one static IP on the router. I need to run a few tests so I
purchased a few IP addresses. My network (LAN) uses NAT (10.0.0.0) - I
do not want to change the existing machines on the lan as my Web MX
records etc all point to existing IP. All I want to do is apply these
new IP addresses to the equipment I want to test.

Hope this makes it clear?

Ish! It's too difficult and unusual IME to describe here. You need an
adsl router that does pass through for the range of IP addresses and a
router with an ethernet WAN socket to connect between the two routers.
You would then configure and connect the second router as yours is now.

The (boringly standard) DLink router I was playing with earlier will allow
you to set its LAN IP to one from a statically assigned subnet, so AFAIK
it would then happily distribute to his test machines.

One of the first router's ports could then feed the WAN port of a second
router (the DLink would do this job too) to take care of the NATed LAN.

It means losing a public IP adress for the second router, but I don't see
any other problem. (??)

--
Dave Johnson -
Old March 24th 05, 03:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
String

Infant Newbie wrote:
I have an eTec conexant router with 1 IP address and I am using NAT with
port forwarding quite happily. I now have need to do a few tests for a short
while which needs real internet addresses so I went and got a range from my
ISP. I want to keep my NAT and use the IP's I have for these tests.. ( I
dont have enough IP's for all machines tho) and I dont want to disturb the
current forwarding I have. Are there any guides for this kind of setup? Can
anyone help?

Thanks
Infant Newbie

If you mean mixed NAT/real then pick up an EN5861 off ebay.

Multiple 1:1 nat for real IPs can be done on a few modern routers like
the zyxel 660h and so on.

Or do you mean something else?

Linux - Performs in 3 days what other OSs can do in 30 seconds
Old March 24th 05, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Infant Newbie

Will I have to change my mx record on the internet? note I only have a
single ip at the moment. How will my current port forwarding work?

thanks in advance

"Dave J" wrote in message
In within uk.telecom.broadband,
'pete devlin' wrote:

In message , Infant Newbie
writes

Old March 24th 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Infant Newbie

i have an en5861 here. VOIP is not very good with that router. I need to
test some IP phones.

Old March 25th 05, 03:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave J

In within uk.telecom.broadband,
'Infant Newbie' wrote:

[..]

The (boringly standard) DLink router I was playing with earlier will allow
you to set its LAN IP to one from a statically assigned subnet, so AFAIK
it would then happily distribute to his test machines.

One of the first router's ports could then feed the WAN port of a second
router (the DLink would do this job too) to take care of the NATed LAN.

It means losing a public IP adress for the second router, but I don't see
any other problem. (??)

Will I have to change my mx record on the internet? note I only have a
single ip at the moment. How will my current port forwarding work?

First of all, let's note that I could be wrong in what I said above. I
think it will work as simply as that, but there's been no confirmation nor
refutation from anyone else here.

If your current IP is part of your new IP block then there will be no need
to change the mx record, but you need to make sure there is a server
available at that IP.

The simplest way I can see would be to set the IP of the NATing router
(the second in the chain) to your old IP, everything *should* then work
exactly as it did before, as all requests to that IP will be routed to the
NAT device which will then do the port forwarding.

I'm not sure if the 2nd router's gateway address should be set to the IP
of the first router, or to the gateway address you're allocated by the
ISP. I think that either should work, but I may be getting too attached to
this shovel.

To other subscribers: I *think* I know what I'm talking about, but some
confirmation would be really nice (:

thanks in advance

You're welcome. You'd be even more welcome if you could take to shortening
the quotes of previous messages and placing your reply beneath the points
you're replying to..

--
Dave Johnson -
Old March 25th 05, 04:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
pete devlin

In message , Dave J
writes
'm not sure if the 2nd router's gateway address should be set to the IP
of the first router, or to the gateway address you're allocated by the
ISP. I think that either should work, but I may be getting too attached
to this shovel.

To other subscribers: I *think* I know what I'm talking about, but some
confirmation would be really nice (:

Does a bridge mode router have an IP? If it is passing through requests
to several static IPs I can't see that it does. It is effectively all of
the allocated IPs isn't it? Isn't it??????
So, IMHO and without the means to test, I reckon that the ISP gateway is
the answer to your question. Or 42 of course.
--
Pete Devlin
"Mind the oranges Marlon!"