Router recommendation for NTL with VPN

Old March 21st 05, 09:20 AM posted to uk.net.providers.ntl,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob S

Default Router recommendation for NTL with VPN

Hi,

I need to setup a home office to link via VPN to a remote office - the home
location has NTL via a cable modem currently. I need to router to be able to
initiate the VPN itself though as the home office will be using thin clients to
access the remote site.

Is anyone here using such a configuration? - if so I'd be grateful for a
recommendation on a suitable router that can do this. I know the Draytek 2900
can, but i'm looking for something a bit cheaper and less cheerful.

thanks in advance

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old March 21st 05, 09:31 PM posted to uk.net.providers.ntl,uk.telecom.broadband
Tim Clark

In article ,
Rob S writes:
I need to setup a home office to link via VPN to a remote office - the home
location has NTL via a cable modem currently. I need to router to be able to
initiate the VPN itself though as the home office will be using thin clients to
access the remote site.

Is anyone here using such a configuration? - if so I'd be grateful for a
recommendation on a suitable router that can do this. I know the Draytek 2900
can, but i'm looking for something a bit cheaper and less cheerful.

The Drayteks certainly can, as I'm using a pair in precisely that mode: NTL
cable modem & Draytek 2200 (predcessor to 2900) at home office, remote office
has ADSL with Draytek 2600. VPN is set up on the Drayteks at each
end and used without problem. The PCs aren't aware any VPNing is going on -
the Drayteks just handle it seamlessly, automatically forming the link as
required.

Personally, I would take a lot of persuading to use anything other than
Draytek for this application. Though if I were really short of funds I might
try to lash something up with a couple of old PCs running Linux.

--
Tim Clark

Old March 22nd 05, 02:24 PM posted to uk.net.providers.ntl,uk.telecom.broadband
Rob S

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 21:31:44 GMT, "Tim Clark"
wrote:
-
-Personally, I would take a lot of persuading to use anything other than
-Draytek for this application. Though if I were really short of funds I might
-try to lash something up with a couple of old PCs running Linux.

Thanks Tim - I'd guess there aren't many other people in here doing this kind of
thing....

I'll have an ebay for some older drayteks I think, as I only want to test
possibilities at the moment.

regards

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old March 22nd 05, 09:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:
-
-Personally, I would take a lot of persuading to use anything other than
-Draytek for this application. Though if I were really short of funds I might
-try to lash something up with a couple of old PCs running Linux.

Thanks Tim - I'd guess there aren't many other people in here doing this kind of
thing....

I'll have an ebay for some older drayteks I think, as I only want to test
possibilities at the moment.

regards

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com

There are, but like myself don't have anything to add to the thread.

David Bradley

Old March 23rd 05, 01:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Rob S

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 21:10:48 +0000, David Bradley
wrote:

-There are, but like myself don't have anything to add to the thread.

David - do you mean you're in the Draytek - Draytek camp too?

cheers

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com
Old March 23rd 05, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

wrote:

-There are, but like myself don't have anything to add to the thread.

David - do you mean you're in the Draytek - Draytek camp too?

cheers

-Rob
robatwork at mail dot com

If you mean VPN between two Draytek units, yes. I have a number of possible VPN connections that I
can make but in almost every case they are between various flavours of the 2600. Most locations
have static IPs which makes life a lot easier.

Have looked at the Draytek 2500 but that does not appear to accept inbound VPN set up.

I was interested in the use of a 2200 in conjunction with NTL cable modem and must give that a try
sometime as I have a old one knocking around. Currently I connect to the single PC at the site
using just pcAnywhere.

Currently trying to establish a VPN to/via a D-Link DSL-504T onto a remote computer but the project
is on hold due to other commitments.

David Bradley