ISDN -- ADSL

Old March 21st 05, 10:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Tim

Default ISDN -- ADSL

Hi

My local exchange (2.5 miles away) has just been upgraded to ADSL. I
currently have home highway ISDN and was hoping to upgrade to ADSL. I
placed an order for ADSL and after a survey on my line by BT wholesale,
they say my line will not support ADSL. I was under the impression that
if ISDN worked then ADSL would most likely work?

I have been told that there is absolutely nothing I can do about this
by BT internet (my ISP). I contacted BT wholesale directly but they
were no help. Other people in my locality have ADSL, can anyone suggest
any further action I might take?

Tim

Old March 21st 05, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Hiram Hackenbacker

Tim wrote:
Hi

My local exchange (2.5 miles away) has just been upgraded to ADSL. I
currently have home highway ISDN and was hoping to upgrade to ADSL. I
placed an order for ADSL and after a survey on my line by BT wholesale,
they say my line will not support ADSL. I was under the impression that
if ISDN worked then ADSL would most likely work?

I have been told that there is absolutely nothing I can do about this
by BT internet (my ISP). I contacted BT wholesale directly but they
were no help. Other people in my locality have ADSL, can anyone suggest
any further action I might take?

Choose an ISP which knows how to deal with conversions and has good
connections with BT - for example AAISP would be my recommendation. You
may find that they get more information on why your line has failed and
you may be able to take action to get the line to pass.

Old March 21st 05, 11:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Donaldson

On 21/03/05, 10:07:00, "Tim" wrote regarding ISDN --
ADSL:

Hi

My local exchange (2.5 miles away) has just been upgraded to ADSL. I
currently have home highway ISDN and was hoping to upgrade to ADSL. I
placed an order for ADSL and after a survey on my line by BT wholesale,
they say my line will not support ADSL. I was under the impression that
if ISDN worked then ADSL would most likely work?

I have been told that there is absolutely nothing I can do about this
by BT internet (my ISP). I contacted BT wholesale directly but they
were no help. Other people in my locality have ADSL, can anyone suggest
any further action I might take?

Tim

AFAIK you have do get your ISDN service disconnected and then apply for
ADSL. If the BT line checker finds ISDN on a line it automatically says
you can't have ADSL.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old March 21st 05, 12:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Martin Underwood

"Ian Donaldson" wrote in message

[...]

============

You mean BT would simply say "you can't have ADSL on this line" because they
find ISDN on there at present, without volunteering the information that if
you take ISDN off it may well support ADSL? Don't they want the business or
something? A response of "this line will not suport ADSL" sounds as if it
will never support ADSL; a better response is "We can't test the line while
ISDN is enabled, but if we take it off we can do the line test and *then*
give you a definitive answer".

Old March 21st 05, 12:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian

"Tim" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

My local exchange (2.5 miles away) has just been upgraded to ADSL. I
currently have home highway ISDN and was hoping to upgrade to ADSL. I
placed an order for ADSL and after a survey on my line by BT wholesale,
they say my line will not support ADSL. I was under the impression that
if ISDN worked then ADSL would most likely work?

I have been told that there is absolutely nothing I can do about this
by BT internet (my ISP). I contacted BT wholesale directly but they
were no help. Other people in my locality have ADSL, can anyone suggest
any further action I might take?

Tim

You do have to tell them the number of the 1st ALog port. Not the data
number or line 2s number other wise it will confuse things. Hav you tried
the oneline checker?

Ian

Old March 21st 05, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
David Bradley

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:26:36 -0000, PlusNet Support Team wrote:

In article . com,
says...
Hi

My local exchange (2.5 miles away) has just been upgraded to ADSL. I
currently have home highway ISDN and was hoping to upgrade to ADSL. I
placed an order for ADSL and after a survey on my line by BT wholesale,
they say my line will not support ADSL. I was under the impression that
if ISDN worked then ADSL would most likely work?

I have been told that there is absolutely nothing I can do about this
by BT internet (my ISP). I contacted BT wholesale directly but they
were no help. Other people in my locality have ADSL, can anyone suggest
any further action I might take?

Tim

Hi there,

Most ISPs can order a managed conversion for your ISDN to ADSL as a one-
step process so you don't have to have the ISDN line removed first. It's
possible that when you applied they got the idea you were on a normal
land line as opposed to an ISDN line and rejected the order. At that
distance from the exchange it should be easily possible to have at the
very least 512kbps ADSL.

Regards,

IMHO it is just possible, but perhaps unlikely, that the information given by BT is in fact true.
Perhaps your property has a POTS service that is not over a coper pair. This would support ISDN but
not ADSL.

Meanwhile choose another ISP for a managed conversion of ISDN to ADSL. Arrangements are made to
test your line for suitability for ADSL and if it fails your line is restored to ISDN use at no cost
to you.

There is an extra cost, payable to BT, if your line does pass for ADSL use, which I think is about
70. Think carefully before removing your Home Highway as you loose your second line and number and
your priminary number is not necessarily ported back to your restored POTS. If that 'other' Highway
number is used for a fax number, do you need another POTS line? We are now into spending out close
on 150 before factoring in ADSL connection charges!

David Bradley

Old March 21st 05, 02:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Ian Donaldson

On 21/03/05, 12:02:25, "Martin Underwood" wrote regarding
[...]

That would be the response of any competent corporation.

Regards Ian Donaldson

Newtownards
Northern Ireland

Old March 21st 05, 02:31 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 Mar 2005, Ian Donaldson wrote:

AFAIK you have do get your ISDN service disconnected and then apply for
ADSL. If the BT line checker finds ISDN on a line it automatically says
you can't have ADSL.

There is "managed conversion" for such a change. If ADSL isn't usable on
the line, the BT Engineer makes good ISDN again and no fee is charged. I
think you'll find plenty of people discussing this for the past 2+ years,
in u.t.b and on www.ADSLguide.org (forum). Peter Morgan.

--
PlusNet http://tinyurl.com/24ymz
I recommend them and save some cash.
Old March 21st 05, 02:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 Mar 2005 12:26 PlusNet Support Team wrote:

Most ISPs can order a managed conversion for your ISDN to ADSL as a one-
step process so you don't have to have the ISDN line removed first. It's
possible that when you applied they got the idea you were on a normal
land line as opposed to an ISDN line and rejected the order. At that
distance from the exchange it should be easily possible to have at the
very least 512kbps ADSL.

Does the 'managed conversion' fee cover the ADSL setup such that only one
fee (of how much) is payable ? From what another poster suggests, there
would be a fee for the conversion and then a fee for ADSL setup on top...

I know that could be the case if one simply converted from HH/ISDN to a
DEL and then separately asked an ISP for ADSL, but surely part of this
managed conversion is to lessen charges, as well as returning ISDN if
ADSL cannot be provided. Thanks for any clarification... Peter M.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75