Activation Charges

Old March 21st 05, 10:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Brian

Default Activation Charges

Why do Activation Charges vary so widely?
I thought of joining PlusNet but they charge 70.50.

But Virgin.net don't charge for activation and their price seems
competitive.

Neither does Tiscali, although it seems that their service is poor.

Would welcome views.

Brian

Old March 21st 05, 01:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , says...
Why do Activation Charges vary so widely?

Because ISPs can charge what they like.

I thought of joining PlusNet but they charge 70.50.

But Virgin.net don't charge for activation and their price seems
competitive.

Neither does Tiscali, although it seems that their service is poor.

Would welcome views.

Its a free market. Companies can charge what they want.

--
Conor

Windows & Outlook/OE in particular, shipped with settings making them
as open to entry as a starlet in a porno. Steve B
Old March 21st 05, 02:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
B Gruff

On Monday 21 March 2005 13:49 Conor wrote:

In article , says...
Why do Activation Charges vary so widely?

Because ISPs can charge what they like.

I thought of joining PlusNet but they charge 70.50.

But Virgin.net don't charge for activation and their price seems
competitive.

Neither does Tiscali, although it seems that their service is poor.

Would welcome views.

Its a free market. Companies can charge what they want.

True - but perhaps "Not charge" what they like in this particular
case?

Please correct me if this is wrong, but I thought that BT charged the
ISP 50+VAT for activation.

Hence 58.75 by PN if you sign up for a year, and the 70.50 is for a
monthly contract?

In other words, are PN and others simply charging at cost, and Virgin
etc. subsidising the activation to encourage people to join - a
loss-leader, in fact?

Bill

Old March 21st 05, 02:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Peter M

On 21 Mar 2005 13:49, Conor wrote:

In article , says...
Why do Activation Charges vary so widely?

Because ISPs can charge what they like.

and they are charged a fee by BT, let's not forget...

I thought of joining PlusNet but they charge 70.50.

only for the monthly contract accounts. If you take annual it's about
a tenner cheaper. If you decide within the first 30 days (perhaps 45,
I should go back and read their guarantee) that you aren't happy they
will pay (towards) migration to another ISP (I think they pay basic
BT fee, if the one you move to charges more, you'd pay the difference)

But Virgin.net don't charge for activation and their price seems
competitive.

Neither does Tiscali, although it seems that their service is poor.

Would welcome views.

Its a free market. Companies can charge what they want.

while a few swallow the fees. Until recently, Virgin were charging a
20 quid fee for their second account, but just have a deal where the
setup is free at the moment... Plus.Net is far from unique in them
making a charge... Metronet, Claranet, and plenty of others pass on
the fees. Some have significant mark-ups or even a fee when you're
closing your account (V.21 has/had a 30 quid fee). Peter M.

--
Try a commercial news service - from 50 MB/day (once-only fee of $5 )
up to 1500 MB/day for 6 months $99.95, 600 GB over 6 months $149.75
Old March 21st 05, 06:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Dave Stanton

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:00:29 +0000, Brian wrote:

Why do Activation Charges vary so widely? I thought of joining PlusNet but
they charge 70.50.

But Virgin.net don't charge for activation and their price seems
competitive.

Neither does Tiscali, although it seems that their service is poor.

Would welcome views.

Brian

You pay eventually, same as that ' free' mobile phone. You pay for that by
a small amount on your monthly charge.

Dave

again
in the future!!
Old March 21st 05, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Conor

In article , B Gruff says...

Please correct me if this is wrong, but I thought that BT charged the
ISP 50+VAT for activation.

Yup.

In other words, are PN and others simply charging at cost, and Virgin
etc. subsidising the activation to encourage people to join - a
loss-leader, in fact?

Bravo. You've finally figured out one of the ways businesses attract
customers. The entire inkjet printer market works this way.